Sign in to follow this  
Mike777

KATL STARs -- Can pilots concentrate while laughing their heads off?

Hi everyone,

Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson has several recently created STARs that just caught my eye:

GNDLF2 including GOLLM, BEORN transitions and waypoints MORDR, FRDDO, BLLBO, BGGNS, STRDR; routes all converge on SMAWG

HOBBT2 including the GOLLM & BEORN transitions, all also converging on waypoint SMAWG

JJEDI2, including the EWWOK transition, for west landings

SITTH2, also including the EWWOK transition, for east landings

I know that Boston has arrivals and waypoints referring to lobsters, the Celtics and the Red Sox, Chicago used to have a waypoint ROYKO named for their famous columnist Mike Royko, and Air New Zealand has some hilarious Lord of the Rings themed safety videos.  But what is Atlanta's connection to Tolkien or Star Wars?  Have the Entwives turned up in Buckhead?

Mike

Edited by Mike777
  • Upvote 3

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

And Orlando have MINEE, BUGGZ and GOOFY - no surprise there I guess!

Bill

2 minutes ago, scianoir said:

And Orlando have MINEE, BUGGZ and GOOFY - no surprise there I guess!

I didn't know that, but as you said, no surprise!

What I don't understand is, why can't they spell the names correctly?

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Because they have to be five letters and not match any other existing fix.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, KevinAu said:

Because they have to be five letters and not match any other existing fix.

I wasn't being entirely serious, but there can be duplicates if they are far away from each other -- SHARK for example.  They could have had EWOKS, JEDIS, SITHS, SMAUG, FRODO and BILBO, although I haven't verified that  they don't duplicate nearby waypoints.

Mike

Edited by Mike777

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

And Dulles has STARS for the Redskins football team, SFO has SIDS for the Grateful Dead and wine, STARS for other Bay Area rock bands/ musicians.

Stephen Forsgren

OMG! That's bloody hilarious!

Never occured to me, that SID/STARS and waypoints, had naming-schemes like that.

Amazing! Nice find - thank you for that.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Yup, Charles Schulz - Sonoma County (KSTS) has waypoints like PIGPN, SNUPY, LUSEE, WDSTK (characters from his Peanuts comics).

Barry Friedman

Atlanta has a massive (and growing) film industry. No doubt that’s why you’re seeing pop culture permeate into our world of fixes and waypoints. 

• Upvote 1

I have not flown it in the SIM but in YBBN on the BLAKA9A arrival for RWY19, the STAR has LEAKY BOATS SINNK which bemuses me every week without fail.

• Upvote 1

And ZLA LAX has the starry eyed movie related STAR HLYWD1 and ANJLL2 with the transitions OTOOL, HAKMN, DNERO, CGNEY, SHTNR, SALYY, FNNDA, GABBL, ESTWD, MDLER, AMMOR.

Shez

• Upvote 1

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Narita (RJAA) also features quite a few nice ones ;)

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

44 minutes ago, spokes2112 said:

Portsmouth Intl at Pease (KPSM), RNAV (GPS) RWY 16,  has an oldy but goody -
ITAWT ITAWA PUDYE TTATT --> map --> IDEED

That's just hysterical!

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2