Sign in to follow this  
TravelRunner404

Surviving a CTD mid flight

Does anyone have any tips for surviving a CTD mid flight when you have add-ons tracking your flight? Not looking to avoid the CTD but looking to pick up where I left off. 

I am flying the DHC3 from Milviz. My addons are AirHauler2, projectfly and the GTN750.

What can I do to protect myself so I can reload the flight and pick up where I left off with those 3 apps mid flight? If I do an auto save with say FSUIPC every 15 minutes can I possibly restore all those after crashing 2 hours into a 4 hour flight? What about my GTN flight plan? I key it in before each flight.

Thanks,

Brian

Fsuipc is te only option I know of now but as you mention it doesn’t necessarily allow all addons to line back up on restart.

Could be a cool opportunity for a new utility in p3d.

• Upvote 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

7 hours ago, TravelRunner404 said:

What about my GTN flight plan? I key it in before each flight.

There is an option in the GTN flight plan menu to store your flight plan so you should be able to recover that.

bob

edit.... ho dear my word...what's going on ..just had CTD.

Edited by onebob
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, TravelRunner404 said:

Does anyone have any tips for surviving a CTD mid flight when you have add-ons tracking your flight? Not looking to avoid the CTD but looking to pick up where I left off. 

I am flying the DHC3 from Milviz. My addons are AirHauler2, projectfly and the GTN750.

What can I do to protect myself so I can reload the flight and pick up where I left off with those 3 apps mid flight? If I do an auto save with say FSUIPC every 15 minutes can I possibly restore all those after crashing 2 hours into a 4 hour flight? What about my GTN flight plan? I key it in before each flight.

Thanks,

Brian

I am still exclusively an FSX flier, but I assume these issues are much the same in P3D.  I have FSUIPC set to autosave every 5 minutes for a maximum of 10 autosave files.  That covers almost an hour.  Works splendidly.  I do not have CTD issues with my current system and installation, but I do reload flights mid-flight when charting a new aircraft's performance at different aircraft settings.  TAS, fuel burn at different speeds, climb and descent burn, etc.  FSUIPC makes it easy to return to a point in time during a flight.  I do this often after buying a new aircraft until I have good data for a performance profile at the flight planning site I use.

I usually do not touch my flight controls when reloading a flight, but sometimes that is not possible, such as if I have gone from cruise, to descent, to landing, and now want to refly those segments from cruise with different control settings.  So a key element is re-establishing flight control settings, if needed.  It is usually easy to accomplish, especially in an aircraft you are familiar with. Just quickly pause the simulator until that is completed.  You may also need to activate appropriate autopilot modes, 

You did not state which GTN 750 you use.  I have both the F1 and the RXP GTN 750s.  I currently use only the RXP.  I believe what happens is essentially the same in both however.  I have my GTN default set to on if avionics master is on.  So when reloading a flight it comes up live, but it comes up in it's start up sequence, so thus "unaware" in regard to flight plan.  I reload and activate the GTN flight plan, and it recognizes where I am at in the plan.  I do this while the sim is paused.

If you also fly with a simulator .PLN file for ATC guidance, you can reload that flight plan into the simulator as well.  Just as you load it, respond "no" to the prompt of placing your aircraft at the flight plan departure point.  Once the plan is loaded into the simulator just ask ATC for a new clearance and it also will recognize where you are at.

Sounds like a lot, but it comes together very quickly once familiar with the processes.  

Edited by fppilot
  • Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Alright, I think will have to do some simple testing to see what happens.

I am curious how airhauler and project fly will react when I load a flight 10 minutes in the past. I think they should reconnect okay. 

I am using the flight1 networked GTN750. They sell it at flight1tech.com. Allows me to run it on my client PC and use a cheap 7” touch screen. I think it catalogs my flight plan but I will test that as well. 

Thanks for the suggestions