Sign in to follow this  
divinglyc

Autoland?

I like this plane so far though I am still newbie of it.

I have flown Boeings and Airbuses. Now I have a question.

How do I make Autoland work?? I have chosen "ILS" to capture LOC and G/S then I press "Autoland". However, it always showed "No autoland"

Is there any condition before I make Autoland work? Thanks!

Iching Lee from Taiwan

Do you have *both* VHF Nav control panels set to the ILS frequency, and inbound runway course set on both course windows? The autoland system will not engage unless both nav radios and courses are set identically.

3 minutes ago, Relayer91 said:

Do you have *both* VHF Nav control panels set to the ILS frequency, and inbound runway course set on both course windows? The autoland system will not engage unless both nav radios and courses are set identically.

Thanks! I will try that next time!!

Iching Lee from Taiwan

There's a lot going on with Autoland on the PMDG 737NGX, and a few forum postings too that go into it in detail.

It took me a while to work it all out, but if you're an experienced FSX simmer, and just want the absolute basics in setting up AutoLand (wthout any explanation), here are my steps.

First, you will need some data. Note your chosen runway's Length, Altitude, and Direction. You can get Length and Direction from the CDU (Shift 3), via the INIT REF screen. The Altitude is availble from the CDU by looking up the airport (INDEX - NAV DATA - Airport Summary).

Then, as you're flying, getting lined up for landing (on a Cat III runway):

1. Set yourself up for an ILS landing.
  2. In the radio stack (Shift 4)
    1. In the HGS, enter the runway length and altitude and
    2. In the NAV radios, enter the ILS frequency into both NAV radios (must match)
  3. Change the radial in the Course setting for both Captain and F/O sides (must match)
  4. Ensure both your F/O Flight Director (FD) is ON (as well as Capt. side obviously).
  5. Keep flying, and when roughly established, click the VOR/LOC button.
  6. When closer still, and fully established on the localiser, click the APP (approach) button.
  7. Now (critical), switch on both autopilots (A/P Engage section).

If you've set things up correctly both A/P Engage buttons will be green/lit, and as you get closer to landing, the primary display will show 'LAND 3', and G/S 'Flare' etc. ready for an autoland. If you are not set up for Autoland, one Autopilot light will extinguish when you switch on the other ie. only one Autopilot active at a atime. The main thing to look out for to know you're set up for Autoland is the 'LAND 3' message.

If you had to describe the Autoland setup in just a few ridiculously short words, they would be:

1. Set up your HGS (heads up display) with the correct runway length/altitude AND
  2. Set both NAV radios to same ILS frequency.
  3. Set up both the Captain and F/O with the same course radials, both flight directors (F/D's) on, and switch both Autopilots on too so they both stay lit.

There's of course a lot more technical detail to the Autoland feature, but if you just want to see it in action, follow these instructions. I hope this helps people who just want a fast, no explanation way to set their PMDG 737 up for Autoland - and have fun with this fantastic feature!

Pete

On 3/2/2018 at 3:24 AM, divinglyc said:

Thanks! I will try that next time!!

I hope so divingly: unless you set things up using the 'both must match' philosophy, you won't get anywhere at all with Autoland!