Sign in to follow this  
Benjamin J

Regarding the TFDi 717...

Hey all,

For those that don't have the patience to go through the whole story, you cna skip to the last paragraph where I'm asking the actual question. Though, the rest of the story has some information that might help in answering the question...

I'm installing P3Dv4 from scratch on a new computer, having been away from simming for about two years or so. Being back, my first impression is that a whole lot has changed - for the good, mostly! This means re-buying a bunch of sceneries and aircraft that are incompatible, which puts me in the unique position of being able to  'restructure' my simulator, and a big part of that is deciding on three or so aircraft that will be my go-to aircraft in the sim. I do this because I know from experience that even if I have as many as ten airliner,s I really only fly three of them consistently. So, see this as an exercise in saving money! Here's what I have decided so far: 

• I will re-purchase the PMDG 737NGX, because several airlines I like to fly exclusively use this bird (KLM, Transavia, Alaska Airlines, Norwegian...), and from my past experience with this model, I know how much I enjoy flying it.
  • Whenever it becomes available, I will  upgrade  the Aerosoft Airbus series. Airlines I want to fly use them a lot (SAS, Swiss, Austrian, Delta...), I can get them cheaply through the upgrade price, and I always had a blast flying them.
  • I will upgrade my Majestic Dash 8-Q400 and take it for hops with Austrian around Austria, Wideroe around Norway and Alaska/Horizon Airlines around California

Now here's the thing. Back in FSX I used to use the Leonardo Maddog, and adored it. Flying it was fun and challenging, and so when I saw the MaddogX released some weeks ago for P3Dv4, I was convinced that I'd buy it.

But, I'm the kind of simmer that likes to fly aircraft on their actual routes. Real-world operations of the MD80 series are very limited, not least by their dwindling numbers:  also the bases from which they appear to operate. For exmaple, using Flightradar24, I tracked Delta's MD80 service to predominantly KATL. I do not mean to upset people, but I don't particularly like flying in and out of KATL... In general I'm not really into those behemoth US airports (such as KATL, but also e.g. KORD and even KLAX), preferring their smaller, regional counterparts, such as KLGA, KDCA, KMDW...

Some more research showed me that the MD80's more modern cousin, the Boeing 717, is actually operated by Delta in some of these regional airports, and I quickly found that the TFDi 717, which, in the two years that I'd been out of the hobby, had been released. And so I did some research into it. Here's my impression of it:

Pro's of the TFDi 717:

• Good-looking model
  • system simulation seems to be to the extent I require (on par or beyond Aerosoft's Airbus)
  • MD-11 style cockpit and operation (right...? I loved the PMDG MD-11 operation, so if the 717 is similar, that'd be a HUGE plus!)
  • Suitable for short hops
  • Under Delta banner it flies into regional airports of importance to me, such as KLGA and KMDW
  • Some positive reviews
  • Cheaper than the Leonardo MaddogX...

Cons of the TFDi 717:

• Despite my love of the MD-11 style cockpit, I'll miss the MD80 style cockpit...
  • Some critical reviews, particularly regarding flight dynamics (strange nose pitch-down issue?)
  • product page gives hardly any info

So, I realize some threads were opened about the TFDi 717 over the last few months, but since we are a few months further now and those other threads really didn't answer my question. My main problem is that I found there is a significant lack of basic information on this plane, partly because for a while there seemed to have been an open beta, and it seems to keep evolving as time goes by, making it really hard for me to figure out what's going on with it at any given time point. Hence this thread, and the following questions: 

1. To what extent is my above impression of the TFDi 717 representative of its current state?
  2. What's good about it and what still needs work? (i.e., what is the current state of this addon?)
  3. How extensive is the system simulation exactly? I want to be able to realistically go through all the (pilot-performed) procedures from cold and dark to startup and beyond. I do NOT need failures or any of that kind of stuff...

Please note I'm not looking for answers that compare the Maddog with the TFDi 717. I know the Maddog seems to be a humongous success, and more than worth the money. Just to remind, and for those that skipped to the end, the only reason I'm hesitant to get the MaddogX is because of it's limited real-world use, and non-existent use at essentially every airport I like to fly in and out of. This thread is really just about the TFDi 717 and its current state.

Thanks for any input!

Benjamin

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

TFDI runs an expansive forum where everything about the 717 is discussed out in the open, good and not so good alike. I suggest you gain access to that and you will be able to make your own judgement. I own the 717 and I like it but I run FSX so it brings limitations with it for that platform, notably it is VAS hungry. So when I do fly the 717 it is in and out of FTX freeware airports, FSX defaults sweetened up a bit with REX, and freeware regional airports. Also I operate in the Caribbean. In the meantime I am very busy with the MADDOG. :)

Flight simulation is all about imagination, or rather only limited by our imagination. So with that in mind, I would go for the 64 bit version of the Mad Dog. If you love the MacDonald Douglas way of flying, then indulge yourself!

Suspend disbelief by just altering the "clock" in Flight Simulator. Put the clock back to the time when the MD was all over those regional airports and go fly it. With no memory warnings, you can load up the best scenery 64 bit add ons can produce. 

Dial in the time and "dial a flap"!:biggrin:

Cheers!

• Upvote 2

For P3dV4 the open beta (Ver 1.0.9.22) is all they offer.

Here video on startup:

• Upvote 1

Waiting for v 1.1 before I purchase the 717.

• Upvote 1

Eric 

21 minutes ago, charlie130 said:

Flight simulation is all about imagination, or rather only limited by our imagination. So with that in mind, I would go for the 64 bit version of the Mad Dog. If you love the MacDonald Douglas way of flying, then indulge yourself!

Suspend disbelief by just altering the "clock" in Flight Simulator. Put the clock back to the time when the MD was all over those regional airports and go fly it. With no memory warnings, you can load up the best scenery 64 bit add ons can produce. 

Dial in the time and "dial a flap"!:biggrin:

Cheers!

Very true, very true. I'm considering getting UTLive for a traffic addon, so with your suggestion in mind, is there an option to indeed 'turn back the clock'? Mytraffic always had such an option...

As for the others, thanks all for your posts so far. Some more about how you personally like to fly TFDi would also be welcome! What does she feel like to fly? How much fun are you having flying her? And more of such stuff... I'm trying to gauge the overall excitement about the TFDi 717 :happy:

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Does this work in 4.2?

Cheers,

Mark

I find the fps in 717 in p3dv4 to be awful compared to the ngx 744 etc

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

It works great in 4.2  As for saying the Maddog has limited real world use, it is no less than the 717. Delta is the biggest operator of both.

Richie Walsh

7 minutes ago, Irishcurse said:

It works great in 4.2  As for saying the Maddog has limited real world use, it is no less than the 717. Delta is the biggest operator of both.

That is true, but please note my other considerations:

• To my knowledge the 717 is still on long-term lease; the MD80 is to be phased out in 2018. The 717 seems to still have a longer 'shelf life' than the MD80
  • It seems to me that the 717 flies between more city pairs than the MD80, which is primarily based at KATL and flies to and from KATL.

I'm a bit of a sucker for real-world routes with the equipment that is used on those routes, hence these considerations...

Good to hear it works well for you in v4.2. How do you enjoy flying the plane in general, though?

Edited by Benjamin J

Benjamin van Soldt

20 minutes ago, Benjamin J said:

That is true, but please note my other considerations:

• To my knowledge the 717 is still on long-term lease; the MD80 is to be phased out in 2018. The 717 seems to still have a longer 'shelf life' than the MD80
  • It seems to me that the 717 flies between more city pairs than the MD80, which is primarily based at KATL and flies to and from KATL.

I'm a bit of a sucker for real-world routes with the equipment that is used on those routes, hence these considerations...

Good to hear it works well for you in v4.2. How do you enjoy flying the plane in general, though?

No offence, but you're really limiting your sim experience. For example I will be buying the 64-bit Concorde from *THAT* company when it releases. The fact it doesn't fly anymore doesn't matter to me - learning how to fly it is. The B747 is slowly phasing out as well, but that doesn't stop me flying it. As a previous poster said, I'm happy to suspend reality for a while and wind back the clock.

Each to their own though, so enjoy your simming which ever way you prefer. :biggrin:

• Upvote 3

David Porrett

1 hour ago, DavidP said:

No offence, but you're really limiting your sim experience. For example I will be buying the 64-bit Concorde from *THAT* company when it releases. The fact it doesn't fly anymore doesn't matter to me - learning how to fly it is. The B747 is slowly phasing out as well, but that doesn't stop me flying it. As a previous poster said, I'm happy to suspend reality for a while and wind back the clock.

Each to their own though, so enjoy your simming which ever way you prefer. :biggrin:

You're right, is all I can say :happy: I guess I enjoy the realization of simulating something going on in real life, as an extension to the flying of the plane itself. In that sense. MyTraffic's option to wind back the AI's time was perfect, because you could fly your older aircraft models in a world where that model wouldn't have stood out as much.

Anywho, still looking for more of an answer to my question though... It sounds like it's simulated well enough, and the support seems to be ongoing and developing well, squashing bugs over time. But, are people having fun flying TFDi 717? Is it a fun plane to hand fly? I'm looking for *soft* answers like that, I suppose. it's not a yes or no, I just wanna hear these kind of impressions at this point.

Edited by Benjamin J

Benjamin van Soldt

I flew the 717 from the day it was released. Dealt with all of its bugs and even the last bug I had that was actually a P3D bug (displays going black after 30 mins or so) 4.2 fixed that. Its a nice aircraft . I also just got the Maddog. Having been a Maddog owner of previous versions I like it better. I am biased towards the Maddog. Either aircraft is great.

Richie Walsh

1 hour ago, newtie said:

Does this work in 4.2?

Cheers,

Mark

Yes that's the version for P3D 4.2

Benjamin, I to like to fly real world equipment and routes.  When in doubt, I'm a charter flight.  LOL   The 717 has become my plane of choice.  It handles like a dream with a great feel to it.  I particularly enjoy the sounds.   It takes a little bit to get used to as all good planes do but you will have it mastered in a short period of time.  The lighting, both interior and exterior is excellent.  There is a little delay when you turn on the RW lights individually.   It seems very real to me.  Plus you have the tru glass that gives you more authentic rain as well as fogging up the windows.  I get great performance with it.  Very similar to PMDG but everyone's rig is different.  After reading your posts and learning what you are looking for I would highly recommend it.

• Upvote 4