Sign in to follow this  
Benjamin J

Regarding the TFDi 717...

Any married man knows how to deal with Betty's rants. Just ignore them until they go away.

Vic green

Frankly, Betty is one of the reasons I like MD aircraft... makes them stand apart from the others :biggrin:

I would be curious to have this FDE issue (?) with the pitch not changing upon thrust increase addressed a little more though. Is this a real attribute of this plane or not?

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Just got hold of the 717 and I really like it. The only issue I currently have is when I do a push back with GSX the frame rate just nose dives for the duration. Any idea why this is happening?

P3D & X-Plane 11 - Videos and streaming @ V Special 1

On 3/1/2018 at 4:29 PM, Benjamin J said:

You're right, is all I can say :happy: I guess I enjoy the realization of simulating something going on in real life, as an extension to the flying of the plane itself. In that sense. MyTraffic's option to wind back the AI's time was perfect, because you could fly your older aircraft models in a world where that model wouldn't have stood out as much.

Anywho, still looking for more of an answer to my question though... It sounds like it's simulated well enough, and the support seems to be ongoing and developing well, squashing bugs over time. But, are people having fun flying TFDi 717? Is it a fun plane to hand fly? I'm looking for *soft* answers like that, I suppose. it's not a yes or no, I just wanna hear these kind of impressions at this point.

It's funny that your focus is on real-world flights, then you ask if the 717 is fun to "hand-fly". No carrier allows a lot of hand flying other than a little on departures and approaches. All of these airliners are flown with the autopilot, unless you are flying a DC3 up in Alaska somewhere.

The 717 is an excellent simulation and one that I've wanted for years, but you're missing a lot by not having the MaddogX too. This aircraft is a real blast to fly.  I love it....well I love them both but there is just something about the MD80 that is even more fun. Maybe because it is more of a cross-over from the old to the new.  Kind of like the 737 Classic.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, signmanbob said:

It's funny that your focus is on real-world flights, then you ask if the 717 is fun to "hand-fly". No carrier allows a lot of hand flying other than a little on departures and approaches. All of these airliners are flown with the autopilot, unless you are flying a DC3 up in Alaska somewhere.

The 717 is an excellent simulation and one that I've wanted for years, but you're missing a lot by not having the MaddogX too. This aircraft is a real blast to fly.  I love it....well I love them both but there is just something about the MD80 that is even more fun. Maybe because it is more of a cross-over from the old to the new.  Kind of like the 737 Classic.

Well obviously I won't be hand flying the thing all the way... I'd hand fly during takeoff and landing, precisely as you suggest is done in the real world.

By now I'm pretty settled on buying the Maddog X first, and I'll wait for the TFDi 717 to get out of beta first before I go for it. At that point I'll think about it again. I've surrendered the pure and only real world flying in favor of taking the Maddog X in SAS livery all around Scandinavia, in addition to more 'real' flights with Allegiant Air from Las Vegas, perhaps some American Airlines or Delta flights from other places.

• Upvote 1

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

4 hours ago, Benjamin J said:

Well obviously I won't be hand flying the thing all the way... I'd hand fly during takeoff and landing, precisely as you suggest is done in the real world.

By now I'm pretty settled on buying the Maddog X first, and I'll wait for the TFDi 717 to get out of beta first before I go for it. At that point I'll think about it again. I've surrendered the pure and only real world flying in favor of taking the Maddog X in SAS livery all around Scandinavia, in addition to more 'real' flights with Allegiant Air from Las Vegas, perhaps some American Airlines or Delta flights from other places.

Fly safe but have fun.

Vic green

6 hours ago, Benjamin J said:

I'm just kidding Benjamin.  I just thought I'd pull your leg a little. :happy:

I've heard that simmers will go on a full-motion simulator and hand-fly the whole trip so they can get the most enjoyment out of it, rather than letting the autopilot have all the fun...I might do that too in that situation.

I have both the 717 and the MaddogX.  You can't loose on either.  They're both great sims, but like you say, the 717 is still kind of in development

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, signmanbob said:

I'm just kidding Benjamin.  I just thought I'd pull your leg a little. :happy:

I've heard that simmers will go on a full-motion simulator and hand-fly the whole trip so they can get the most enjoyment out of it, rather than letting the autopilot have all the fun...I might do that too in that situation.

I have both the 717 and the MaddogX.  You can't loose on either.  They're both great sims, but like you say, the 717 is still kind of in development

Hehe, that's what I supposed. I can see why you'd hand-fly all the way in a full-motion simulator, but the thought of sitting at my desk holding the yoke for three hours makes me cringe :blink: Of course, with all due respect to those that enjoy that... To each their own!

Though I'll admit that when I'm flying some prop through OrbX land, I most definitely hand-fly. Those flights typically don't last over 30 minutes though.

• Upvote 1

Benjamin van Soldt

I remember reading a real world story about a Concorde pilot who hand flew a whole flight once... I’ll have to try and find that.  

Most airline pilots I know.... how much they hand fly depends on the day.  Miserable weathe, it’s AP in pretty quickly so they can focus on other stuff.  Nice day?   Hand fly it quite a bit, sometimes to cruise where they set the AP. 

I have both. I would go with the Maddog x until the TFDi 717 is stabilized.

For me the Maddog performance is MUCH better. Hard to believe such a complex aircraft FPS is smooth as butter :)

For some reason the TFDi 717 does not run well on my system - FPS is all over the place. Plus this is the only aircraft in which I suffer from CTDs.

I hope these issues will be gone once it is officially released for P3D v4.

Shom 

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]

On 4-3-2018 at 2:31 AM, PATCO LCH said:

Any married man knows how to deal with Betty's rants. Just ignore them until they go away.

Are you sure you are married? :blink:

• Upvote 1

-Roland

Wow, I guess I am one of the lucky ones.  My system handles the TFDi 717 perfectly.  I get excellent performance and stability.  And it is a joy to hand fly on landings.  I would like to see a couple things added in the future but for now I spend more time in the 717 than any other plane.  

I am more used to controlling rate of descent by throttle adjustments, but that is something that I could not do with the TFDi Design 717. I had to physically point the plane up or down to change the pitch, such was the lack of pitch change with power. Maybe that is how the real aircraft operates, but it would be nice to have that confirmed by a real world 717 (or MD80 ) pilot.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I own it and absolutely love it. Frame-rate wise, I get equal or better performance compared to PMDG products. I've used it for weeks, and I've had only one  CTD (and that was from spamming screenshots, changing the date/time along with weather, and putting P3D through stress it's not built to handle). Granted, there are some things that still need to be ironed out, however for what it's worth, it's one of the best addons I've ever purchased. I also have had no "pitch" issues as others have mentioned nor any significant FPS drops.

Jordan 

Edited by Jviation