Sign in to follow this  
KyleSanders

Requirements/PC for PMDG 737NGX and other addon aircraft

Hello.

I currently am using an HP laptop to run FSX. My system is not the best, and I have to run the game on pretty low settings in order to get good frames. Also, all I can use are freeware aircraft. I figured after 5 almost 6 years of flight simming, it's time to look into some payware aircraft. I've been most interested in the PMDG 737NGX, the Fs labs A320 package, the Airbus X extended package, and especially the most recent version of the Captain Sim 757 (at the time of writing this). However, my computer does not nearly meet the system requirements for any of those packages. I don't have any experience with building PCs, so I was wondering if anyone knew of any good desktop PC's that are already built (that I could buy from a store) that I could get so I could run one of those addons and still get good frames.

Feedback would be Greatly appreciated.

Thanks! Happy flying.

You should also list in your post what you are expecting to pay for this computer.  Having one do what you want it to do will not be inexpensive.  Expect it to be near $1200.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Hi,

I have multiple Alienware Aurora (now owned by Dell) desktop machines that I have used for years. They aren't cheap but they do the job - look at prices in the $2K+ range.

DJ

19 hours ago, charliearon said:

You should also list in your post what you are expecting to pay for this computer.  Having one do what you want it to do will not be inexpensive.  Expect it to be near $1200.

That is a good point. I was anticipating something around the $800-$1000 dollar range.

8 hours ago, ubersu said:

Hi,

I have multiple Alienware Aurora (now owned by Dell) desktop machines that I have used for years. They aren't cheap but they do the job - look at prices in the $2K+ range.

DJ

I have looked into alienware in the past and they looked to be the most promising. It is also to my knowledge that they sell one called the Alienware Alpha that is in the $700 dollar range depending on where you get it. What do you know about that one and do you think it could do what i wanted it to do?

1 hour ago, KyleSanders said:

I have looked into alienware in the past and they looked to be the most promising. It is also to my knowledge that they sell one called the Alienware Alpha that is in the $700 dollar range depending on where you get it. What do you know about that one and do you think it could do what i wanted it to do?

Alienware Alpha specs

Price as reviewed$549, AU$699, £449

PC CPU2.9GHz Intel Core i3 4130T

PC Memory4GB DDR3 SDRAM 1,600MHz

GraphicsNvidia GeForce GPU

At 2.9GHZ this ain't gonna do what you want.  You're going to need something in the range of 3.8-4.2GHZ and it won't be cheap.  I don't want to get into the debate about FSX being a simulator vs a game, but it's very CPU intensive.

Edited by charliearon

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Agree with most posters here....you will need a high end machine to give you some respectable FPS.  Take a look at my system configuration below for a fairly respectable reference point.  Note - machines can get brutally complicated depending on how much you push but for a decent playable experience with reasonable add ons you will need something in the range of 4.2 Ghz on the CPU.

On 2018-03-01 at 5:46 PM, KyleSanders said:

Hello.

I currently am using an HP laptop to run FSX. My system is not the best, and I have to run the game on pretty low settings in order to get good frames. Also, all I can use are freeware aircraft. I figured after 5 almost 6 years of flight simming, it's time to look into some payware aircraft. I've been most interested in the PMDG 737NGX, the Fs labs A320 package, the Airbus X extended package, and especially the most recent version of the Captain Sim 757 (at the time of writing this). However, my computer does not nearly meet the system requirements for any of those packages. I don't have any experience with building PCs, so I was wondering if anyone knew of any good desktop PC's that are already built (that I could buy from a store) that I could get so I could run one of those addons and still get good frames.

Feedback would be Greatly appreciated.

Thanks! Happy flying.

Bruh I have the most potato PC you will ever see, I yolo’d and bought the 737 last week, and my frames did not drop a single bit... do it!

On 3/2/2018 at 9:18 PM, KyleSanders said:

That is a good point. I was anticipating something around the $800-$1000 dollar range.

HP quite often has deals on their laptops.

http://store.hp.com/us/en/cat/laptops

In any case, get something with a GeForce MX150 or GTX960M or equivalent, a SSD and the fastest CPU you can find (3 GHz+). That should do for FSX.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

2 hours ago, microsoftfsx said:

Bruh

potato PC

I yolo’d 

What do these phases mean?

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Urban Dictionary -

Bruh - Slang for Bro as in Brother.

Potato PC - Cheap, low key, bland pc.

Yolo - You Only Live Once.  Used as a term.

• Upvote 1