Sign in to follow this  
johnfairm

Altitude Selector Knob

I can't find a way to change the altitude selector knob from 1000 FPM to 100 FPM increments.

I'm sure its something simple but I can't find it.

Many thanks

Best Regards

John  

• Upvote 1

I’m still unclear about this knob - can someone clarify please?

VNAV. Just twist it. No clicks?

IAS or VS. Twist and left click (push)? Is this done before or after selecting IAS/VS?

What does right click (pull) do and when?

Ive read the manuals and FCOMs and still struggling to maintain set altitude.  

Thanks

UK P3DV5 and Xplane 11 Simmer
PilotEdge I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

System details: Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - Samsung 970 Evo  500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.

You are wrong on almost everything.😀

VNAV is a pushbutton. IAS as VS as well. IAS and VS values are changed by rotating the thumbwheel.

The heading button can be pushed, you will get Heading Hold. It can be pulled, you will get Heading Select. You then rotate to get the desired heading.

And to top it off,I was wrong in assuming you were talking about the heading button. Now, the altitude button is a rotate, push/pull as well. Rotate changes the value in 1000 ft increments. Press TAB and rotate and you change in 100 ft increments. In the aircraft this is done by pushing the button and rotate. Pulling the button arms the selected altitude so the aircraft will level off at this altitude when the autopilot is flying. You can set this automatically in the load manager.

Edited by Omaniac

Thanks but actually I wasn’t asking about the other buttons. 

Do I pull Altsel before or after selecting pitch mode or doesn’t it matter?

System details: Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - Samsung 970 Evo  500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.

1 hour ago, Dean33 said:

I'm honestly dizzy reading this conversation :-)

Arming an Altitude before or after a pitch mode should make no difference.  You should be able to go between VS/IAS/MACH and it should have no bearing on the armed altitude.  The only time you need to be REALLY careful is approaching the selected altitude and it requires you to be paying attention to the FMA.  I've been trying to drive this home in other threads.  The FMA is life in this plane.  The moment it goes to Alt Hld.  Do not touch that wheel unless you know what you are doing. The aircraft will go to VS mode and will blow thru the selected altitude. If you aware of the mode switch and have a good feel of how to properly level off the aircraft then have at it.  But be aware you'll have to press that Alt Hold button yourself.

• Upvote 1

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

One can also depress the mouse wheel and rotate up or down to change altitude set by 100 ft increments. Personally, I prefer not to diddle with the keyboard and the mouse at the same time. Anti immersion:)

2 hours ago, Dean33 said:

You will not get any pitch mode unless you set a new altitude in the window, armed or not. So, the correct order is set new altitude and then select any pitch mode you want. This assumes you are in any level mode already.

For me, only the use of the keyboard TAB function+rotating is working.

Regards

Jo va Bra

1 hour ago, Omaniac said:

You will not get any pitch mode unless you set a new altitude in the window, armed or not. So, the correct order is set new altitude and then select any pitch mode you want. This assumes you are in any level mode already.

Thank you that makes a lot more sense. 

Tell it how high or low to go AND THEN tell it how to get there.