Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Business Jet for P3D v3.4 - help needed please

2 minutes ago, Greggy_D said:

Of course it did since Mutley's refuses to mention systems/avionics accuracy and performance.  Why do they continue to ignore this important aspect in every single review?  At that point, it's a non-review.

Honestly, with the Carenados you really need the GTN750 along with Mr. Pieke's mods.  They bring the planes and jets to near perfection.  (The S550 v2 being the exception since it does work right out of the box with the GTN750.)

Oh, I thought it was of the more honest sites for reviews. :sad:

I have Bert's mods for my PC12. Very helpful chap. :smile:

However, the GTN Complete (newest version) only has some features for Nth America flying rather than whole world. Some of its features I have in my Moving Map so there's no need to duplicate them.

If you can give me a compelling reason why the GTN750 is needed I'm happy to listen but given I have some of its features already for the whole world I'm not sure I need it.

You haven't said anything about the Phenom 300 or my other short-listed aircraft. Any recommends?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Let me echo all the statements about Lear 25 from XtremePrototypes. 

It's an amazing addon, really. The systems are all there, the AP works in a realistic manner, flight handling seems good and the visuals are actually top notch. If you don't like /A flying, installing a GTN750 into that thing is a breeze and changes the way you fly it to something more up to date.

Now, with Carenado, and especially their G1000, the woes don't end with avionics. 

Usually, AP is really, really wonky. IAS climb is completely unreliable in most of their jets. Sometimes they deviate from the LNAV route too, which is a bit annoying.

And don't get me started on the engines. A lot of their stuff just refuses to climb into proper altitudes.

The best one from their lineup, assuming you don't want to go with  Mr. Pieke's mods, would be CJ2. 

So personally I would recommend two routes:

A) If you can live with gauges - XtremePrototypes Lear 25D is your best bet. 

B) If you want modern avionics like G1000, go with Flight1 Mustang. It's amazingly good too. The downside with that one is that P3D v4 patch is not ready and I am not sure if planned updates to their G1000 funcionality will find their way to P3D v3 version.

Anyhow, all the best in your flying :)

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Oh, I thought it was of the more honest sites for reviews.

In my opinion, "no" due to the reason I listed.  Please do not think I'm venting on you, Ray.  :biggrin:  I'm just tired of that site's "reviews" because simmers like yourself will think they are buying an excellent product, when in reality the "review" has left out half the information.

I have both of the jets you mentioned, however I use the GTN750 in both.  I have not tried the Phenom 300 in its plain vanilla G1000 state.  FS Mania has a wonderful 3-part video series that details the Phenom 300 with the G1000.  Here is part 1.  It is well worth the watch.

Edit to add:  I concur with most here.  Go with the XP Lear.

Edited by Greggy_D
  • Upvote 1

Thanks @Greggy_D, appreciate you're being honest with the best intentions. I'll take a look at that video now.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray

I have both. Fly both with GTN. TBH I believe there is still a problem with the current GTN importing flight plans direct but that would apply to both and it’s not a great issue. 

In terms of usage I probably use the Learjet 10 times more often than the Phenom.

I prefer hands down the Learjet. It’s just a lot more fun to fly and personally I find the gauges and their sharpness absolutely stunning.

One further thing to mention – support by the manufacturers. Frankly I’ve never heard of Carenado providing any support and I can tell you that the Lear Jet support is virtually within hours in my experience (if it’s ever needed).

So if it was a football score 10 - Nil  in favour of Xtreme Prototype‘s. 

Cheers 

Dean

• Upvote 1

UK P3DV5 and Xplane 11 Simmer
PilotEdge I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

System details: Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - Samsung 970 Evo  500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.

Thanks Dean. There's a clear majority coming in for the Learjet now. I'm currently watching a 4K video on YT on my 55" TV and can see the quality of the panel is excellent even if they're analogue gauges.

The Carenado Phenom is perhaps the equivalent of a 25 year-old blonde who would be a lot of fun but intellectually frustrating. The Lear is a middle-aged lady who is intellectually stimulating but doesn't have the attractions of the blonde. :biggrin:

So I have to ask myself one question (punk! :biggrin:). How long before the charms of the blonde start to fade and you wished you'd chosen the middle-aged lady? :laugh:

No point asking for opinions then ignoring them and just going with your gut feeling. I'm now siding towards the Lear.

• Upvote 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

7 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

The Carenado Phenom is perhaps the equivalent of a 25 year-old blonde who would be a lot of fun but intellectually frustrating. The Lear is a middle-aged lady who is intellectually stimulating but doesn't have the attractions of the blonde. :biggrin:

So I have to ask myself one question (punk! :biggrin:). How long before the charms of the blonde start to fade and you wished you'd chosen the middle-aged lady? :laugh:

Thanks Ray you really made me LOL punk!. :biggrin:

Edited by Nyxx
  • Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

2 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Thanks Ray you really made me LOL. 

A little humour goes a long way. :biggrin: Just about to press the Buy Now button.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Just now, Ray Proudfoot said:

A little humour goes a long way. :biggrin: Just about to press the Buy Now button.

Ray PM me your email if you wish. I will send you my SOP/crib I use should get you up and running in no time.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

8 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Ray PM me your email if you wish. I will send you my SOP/crib I use should get you up and running in no time.

PM sent. :smile:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Strange problem after installing the Lear. The screen is divided into 4 rectangles and each is flashing repeatedly. No panel or gauges visible.

I'll ask the supplier what the problem is but thought I'd post here first. 1920*1080, 32-bit on Sony 32" TV.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I found the solution to the flashing VC on this forum. OPTIMISE_PARTS=0.

I also found it buried in the user manual. Really it should be in the readme.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

However, the GTN Complete (newest version) only has some features for Nth America flying rather than whole world. Some of its features I have in my Moving Map so there's no need to duplicate them.

If you can give me a compelling reason why the GTN750 is needed I'm happy to listen but given I have some of its features already for the whole world I'm not sure I need it.

You haven't said anything about the Phenom 300 or my other short-listed aircraft. Any recommends?

Hi Ray,

I think you are misunderstanding the role of the GTN750 gauge.. :happy:

Sure, it has a moving map, but more importantly, it is an accurate representation of the real GTN750 navigation instrument that allows you to enter/store/edit flightplans which it will then faithfully use to steer the autopilot.

Yes, some features, like LPV approaches and airport charts are somewhat biased toward flying in the USA, but I use the GTN to fly all over the world.. as a matter of fact, I am flying with a small Avsim group out of Marocco and along the Spanish coast tomorrow  :cool:

In that case, the flightplan was edited first in Little Navmap and uploaded into the GTN, but the most impressive use of the GTN is editing flightplans in real time while aloft, simply by "rubber band" editing of the magenta line, or adding/deleting waypoints at will.  If you try any of that on the Carenado G1000, you will quickly discover that it is a) limited in its function, b) buggy, and c) frustrating, which has led dozens of Avsim users to ask me for my GTN mods for various airplanes, the Carenado Phenom 300 being one of them.

The Phenom 300 is a great airplane (I took it for an "80 days around the World" flight recently), but the Carenado G1000 is IMHO a terrible piece of avionics junk... Sorry for the strong words, but that is what led me to developing the GTN mods in the first place, for my personal use..

• Upvote 1

Bert

Hi Bert,

Thanks for explaining what the GTN750 can do. Perhaps if I explain what Product X (the Moving Map software I'm beta testing) can do it may change things.

If the Lear can accept a standard FS flight plan and then by use of the NAV mode fly the headings required I believe I already have the solution.

Product X will accept a FS flight plan and then you can select departure and arrival runways and then select the SID/STAR appropriate for the winds.

Those extra waypoints will then update the plan in the sim and providing NAV mode is enabled it will fly the SID and STAR without further involvement from the pilot. There is also the option to add extra waypoints and to fly direct to any waypoint in the plan.

That would appear to make the GTN unit unnecessary for anyone using Product X notwithstanding the admittedly attractive visuals the GTN750 contains. Would you agree?

On the subject of the Phenom 300 I have read from a few people now that whilst Carenado products look wonderful the other aspects of it are far from perfect. That's why I decided to go with the Lear despite its 70s gauges.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Two of the Carenado biz jets I would recommend - the Phenom 300 and I just purchased the S550 Citation II. To choose between them I prefer the Citation II. Both have 750 integration by the way.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb