Sign in to follow this  
kevinfirth

Delidded 7700K - now not starting

Following a PSU failure I replaced the PSU but also took the opportunity to delid my 7700K.

The PSU replacement is fine, but on applying power the PC appears ok apart from the fact there is no video signal getting to the monitor.  The TV sees its connected but theres nothing there.

The mobo (asus maximus) shows error code 00 (unused) so I assume theres no prob there.  The GPU fans spin so I assume thats ok.

Any ideas what may cause my lack of video output, other than the possibility that the PSU failing has compromised the mobo or other component?

Cheers K

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Is it the same with the CPU's integrated graphics processor?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

that I havent tried...

Quick try shows exactly the same symptoms In afraid :(

Cant even POST into the bios so not sure whether it should even be active?

Edited by kevinfirth

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

xaP1VAU.png

18 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

Quick try shows exactly the same symptoms In afraid :(

Any chance that the thermal paste used after delidding could be shorting out the CPU socket?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

3 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

Any chance that the thermal paste used after delidding could be shorting out the CPU socket?

Unlikely - I used clear nail varnish to cover the nearest open connections , and used only a little liquid metal..

it was a first delid so I expected a significant chance of failure but the ROG board doesnt report any issues with the CPU?

xaP1VAU.png

3 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

and used only a little liquid metal..

Liquid metal does seem to be the biggest culprit in shorting out the CPU socket.

1 minute ago, vortex681 said:

Liquid metal does seem to be the biggest culprit in shorting out the CPU socket.

would that be consistent with my symptoms??

xaP1VAU.png

Can't say for sure. I was just running through some ideas as to what may have happened.

Edited by vortex681

Your symptoms are just what I experienced with a CPU failure due to a different root cause. (Video Card came unseated from Mobo - frying CPU).   Even down to the Error Code 00 though I have a Asus X99 Deluxe 2  board. Went through all of the steps above, replacing PS, trying Intel Video.  New CPU fixed it up.

code 00 is nasty probaly cpu.

first try to poweroff and disconnect the 24pin and 12v cpu power if not work 

take out the cpu and put it back dont forget to reset bios to deafault.

good luck

Deliding CPU's although seems easy can be a pain and could kill a CPU, im afraid your symptoms look to me like a dead CPU, first thing i would do is to try another CPU there...

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

Kevin... I had exactly the same issue with my daughters PC.  Switch off the PC at the wall, and then hold down the start button on your case for 30 seconds. To clear the capacitors. Worked for me.

If still no dice...  might be an idea to check the socket pins aren't bent.

Also try a CMOS reset.

Flash the BIOS is another option.

For RAM issue you can try to boot with one stick, if no dice, try with the other stick. 

Unless you've done something really daft with your delid, I doubt it's that. Although as Westman rightly said, 00 can indeed be a missing or defective CPU. 

Edited by martin-w

Thanks for your kind words martin but you prob underestimate my capacity to mess things up!

in the mobo manual it says 00 is not used as an error code?

i tried the power button or 30secs no joy

cant find reference to CMOS jumpers in manual need time to go through it in more detail...

I wouldnt know where to start fiddling with CPU pins :s

in meantime ive purchased another CPU and we'll see what that does

Am a little miffed the liquid metal was an absolute waste if theres one part of the operation I hate its thermal compound application :(

After all this is could quite well be something fried by the PSU failure... but I dont have a spare PC to swap bits in and out of to test!

xaP1VAU.png

20 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

Thanks for your kind words martin but you prob underestimate my capacity to mess things up!

in the mobo manual it says 00 is not used as an error code?

i tried the power button or 30secs no joy

cant find reference to CMOS jumpers in manual need time to go through it in more detail...

in meantime ive purchased another CPU and we'll see what that does

Am a little miffed the liquid metal was an absolute waste if theres one part of the operation I hate its thermal compound application :(

After all this is could quite well be something fried by the PSU failure... but I dont have a spare PC to swap bits in and out of to test!

It does say 00 not used in the manual, but it has been identified by the community an error code that pops us given certain issues.

You must have seen them when  you installed your CPU. 

I'm talking about the motherboard socket CPU pins. An array of gold pins. If any are bent this can cause the issues you mention. Something to check.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cpu+motherboard+pins&safe=off&rlz=1C1ASUM_enGB781GB781&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiO7L3C29LZAhURQMAKHT1qDoEQ_AUICygC&biw=1522&bih=764#imgrc=DGvyxuFDQ7ldVM:

This is a list of issues that have been identified as causing a 00 code...

8 Pin CPU Power connector not connected: So check it's connected properly. Unplug and plug in again. In fact check all your cables are properly seated.

Corrupted BIOS: So flash your BIOS

Electrical Short: Check for shorts. Motherboard standoffs in place when they shouldn't be etc.

Bent CPU Socket Pins: Check for bent pins. YouTube videos are available giving guidance for straightening pins.

Faulty PSU: So test your PSU with a PSU tester. Cheap on Amazon.

Dead CPU:

Faulty Motherboard:

Incompatible CPU: So check your CPU is compatible with your board.

RAM issues: So check your RAM is on the boards compatibility list. Also try one stick at time to identify bad stick. 

Over tightened CPU cooler: Check you haven't over tightened your cooler.

You have delidded so... Check your thermal compound isn't where it shouldn't be. For example, did you accidentally get some on the bottom of the CPU, on the gold contacts? Same for the pins in the boards socket... any debris there? And TIM?

More effort, but delid again. Remove IHS, clean CPU and IHS and apply again. Make sure liquid metal is sparingly applied and not where it shouldn't be. Re install and test again. Sometimes just removing the CPU and putting it back in has solved this issue. 

You haven't said the exact model of your motherboard, but as It's an Asus board it probably has a CMOS reset button on the board. If not pins on the board are shorted with a jumper. Battery can also be removed. 

Edited by martin-w