Sign in to follow this  
SubLogical

Elements of Starting a Paint Job

I haven't managed a lift-off on a repaint yet and my biggest problem seems to lie in the initial preps to set up the start of the project.  I have the Paint Kit (Aerosoft Otter), the  DXTBMP  file converter, a copy of SketchBook and Paint.net, a fairly good idea of how I want to re-paint the Otter but what do I do first and next ?

Is there a good starter tutorial you might recommend that covers the moves you should or have to make before you reach for the paint bucket?  I saw one fellow go straight to the Airplane.cfg and make a copy of a plane and set it up as what I guessed was going to be his paint target, I'm not sure if he took the Paint Kit files , exploded them from the Paint kit and changed them to DDS files after or before he started the painting, and when did the flattening occur ... etc, etc.

I am not afraid of the actual painting ( I do a lot of photography and editing ) but the terminology and opening moves send me running to my wife for sympathy and protection when sit down to start :blink:

A direction to the kindergarten area would be very much appreciated.

Ken 

I posted this a while ago, that might help?

All my FSX/P3D repaints are here on Avsim, for my MSFS repaints, go to FS.2

Much appreciated jankees ... 

My first project is a Twin Otter and I've been staring blankly at the Paint-kit so kindly provided by Aerosoft wondering where and how to strike first.  Most of the kits I've seen so far have been for large tubeliners and present a

large target "side-on" to throw paint at but this kit is not so easy to understand ... with the various parts all "scrunched" together. 

I may have to find a painter who has already mastered this bird to tell me how best to start it ... and then pay him to finish it :biggrin:

What is done differently to make a paint in P3Dv4 from P3D or FSX?

Also what is the difference in making a repaint in X-Plane 11?

Painting for X-Plane is no different from painting for other sims. ( or racing cars , tanks, trains etc.)

Painting is painting.
Different sims have different file-types.
Bump files in FSX etc are named Normals in X-Plane.
In FSX a dark alpha gives gloss in X-Plane it reduces gloss.
The main difference is in that kinda things.

Sometimes its even possible to save files in just another filetype to use e.g.  Carenado FSX files in X-Plane.

Carenado uses the same textures and models  for all simulators.

From DXT or DDS  to PNG or another type of DDS.
FXS DDS files are upside down , X-Plane DDS are not flipped.
Small differences but no big deal for a painter.

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Some thoughts for any struggling new painters like me that might tune in to this thread:-

1) After looking over the available software programs I made what I think is obviously the best decision and signed on with PhotoShop ... it seems expensive but clearly the value is light years ahead for this work and once you get comfortable with using it, you will be both amazed and probably more successful in this art form over the long haul.  I worked for years with PS Elements but it's not in the same league.

2) Learning PS is going to be a challenge but it has plenty of tutorials and mercifully when you get stuck for answers on how to use it in a specific situation ... just "google it" ... "HOW TO separate an image from its background" was a problem I couldn't figure out until "Wiki-how" did it in diagram format for PS and ended my nightmare.  I'd like to google  Google   "How did we make it this far without them?

I'm not sure you could get that kind of backup with the free software.

3) My first re-paint will be on a Twin Otter using Aerosoft's paint kit (and breaking open a paint kit is a frightening experience ... figuring out how to move beyond just starring at it, I'll have to figure out later ) but I went looking at "Airplane" sites on the internet for a picture of an Otter that I could start practice-painting over to get an idea of what colors might work and also further my Photoshop education by doing at the same time.  It's a great way to get your toes wet.

4) Lots of painting tutorials available on the internet and for certain you're bound to pick up some hints but my conclusion is these delightful and generous efforts are mostly presented by great painters but poor teachers ... of course I do admit to being a slow learner :blink:.

Keep 'er going!

Ken 

Please have a look at The Painting FAQ`s

Personally I use

Paintshop Pro 7 ( bought years ago for ten dollars)

DXTBmp   its free

ConvimX its free

Gimp its free too

I am used to working with PaintShopPro 7 , in fact Gimp is better.
Its absolutey nonsense to invest in Photoshop.
If you have plenty of money , be my guest.
It does not make you a better painter.

Painting at the highest level is possible without any investment.
Buying a Steinway does not make you a great pianist.

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints

The "Moderator" has spoken!  And I do apologize for the exposition of my nonsensical and spendthrift behavior on this forum ...

Whahahaha.............. thats humor.

If you like to use Photoshop ,as many painters do, there is nothing wrong with that.
The only point I want to make is the fact ,those who want to paint skins can surely do without.

Cheers

Leen

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints

and good luck starting with the Twin Otter, the texture layout is somewhat challenging. I suggest you start with something really simple before progressing to more elaborate paint schemes.

Thanks jankees ... I'll gratefully take all the luck I get blessed with but in the interim I've repainted the Otter (on a blow up picture) which is a clumsy endeavor but it has been very helpful in getting started in PS as well as providing a shakedown on the color scheme and logo's layout choices as I can see the results before tackling the Paint Kit.  The kit , which is advertised as "easy", looks like anything but easy and I'm currently groping around the internet for a tutorial that helps one get started in using them.  

Hopefully I'll find the keys to learning the art form and won't have to rely on luck but I'm not giving odds on any bets :blush:

Ken

Paintkits, like models come in all shapes and sizes, varying from easy to really complicated. The one for the Twotter is on the complicated side, at least I think so. I say this because it is huge, with a frightening amount of layers, but mainly because of a complicated texture lay-out, which takes away a lot of the fun. Especially if you have a complicated paintscheme, figuring out how to connect all the lines or colors will need a lot of patience and perseverance. I did a few paints for the Twotter, and would have liked to do more, but I paint for fun, and some of my plans were not funny. In fact, some of the ones I did were a nightmare to complete.

Hence my advice: start with a really simple scheme to get started, just to get to grips with the layout and the paintkit...and then progress to more difficult ones.

• Upvote 1