Sign in to follow this  
eefields

Loosing all power at cruise

I had this happen. I think it happened right when my center tanks emptied. I was on time compression and missed it. I also got a fuel filter strainer message?

Fortunately I drifted down and got the  APU up followed by both engines.  I could imagine being on that flight ....

Yup, it is a user error!  I was letting the fuel temp get too low.  Three flights and not a single problem!  Other than getting my hands around flying her!  

I had it happen again during time compression.  But this time as the center tank counted down to zero I watched the fuel temp, it was 20 for both. For some reason it was a really hot day, ground temp was 41? Anyway, the SAT was 8 I believe.  Those are positive numbers.  At 29000 feet? Still, everything went out.

This problem has now happened to me 3 times consecutively flying KDAY-KLGA.  Shutdown for me occurs a little over 1 hour into the flight and happens during descent.  I was not using time compression.

Before the third time, I saw this post and comments to use Fuel Heater, so I did that on the 3rd flight.  I activated the fuel heaters before TOD, and my fuel temps were in the 20's when I started my VNAV descent from FL290.  The shutdown happened around 17,000 ft.  I paused the sim (P3Dv4) and took a lot of screen shots of the overhead, panel, and throttles.  From these I could see that the Fuel Cutoff levers were in the OFF position.  I still had a little over 3,000 pounds of fuel.

I had flown 5 other routes (shorter flights) in the Southern US with no problem until having this happen consistently on the last three flights from/to low atmospheric temps.  The Fuel Heater recommendation seemed reasonable, but I don't think that's the case.  

My controls are mapped through FSUIPC and I checked all controls (even those I never use) and none affected these levers, so I don't think it is anything I did or a control spike. Is there an automatic cascading shutdown that would move the fuel shutoff levers to off?

Edited by haroldeh

Harold Henderson

I've been having the same issue as well. 

Flying KMSP-KDFW - roughly over TUL and my engines turned off, fuel cutoff levers moved to OFF. Plenty of fuel, none in Center tanks. I did not have wing anti-ice or fuel heat on. I thought this could be it.

Continued to fly KDFW-KTUL - Passing FL190, with fuel heat and wing anti-ice on, fuel cutoff levers moved to off. Managed to recover and happened again after FL200.

I have nothing connected to the mixture or the fuel shutoff levers - so not sure what it could be. 

Hello

Today was the first time I encountered this issue. All my former flights went smooth.

I was in Cruise between KBOS and KDEN at FL340.

Had a good amount of fuel remaining in all tanks. Unfortunately I didn't check the Fuel Temp or Fuel Lever Positions during the event.

I also was in 4x time compression.

IF it happens again, I'll check those values.

rgrds,

Benni