Sign in to follow this  
Bentree_

Some Questions (Radio, AutoThrottle, FMC)

Hi,

In the (superb) MD80 i experienced some things i want to bring up here. I have read the manuals and worked my way up the aircraft.

While flying online at IVAO i had to switch over to Romania Control, wich was using a frequency that was also enabling the LROP (Bucharest) ATIS in the simulator (P3Dv4.0). This ATIS was turning me "craizy" with its ongoing and continious messages while the IVAO controller was also speaking to me. I tried to turn down the volume on the radio control panel of the MD80 but was not able to turn it down or off. Neither on the CPT or the FO side. Probably it was the P3Dv4 radio that was giving the information, i had to turn of the whole simulator sound to get it down....but then obviously i did not have any sound anymore.

The question is: How can we turn off the ATIS (in either the MD80 or P3Dv4) when selecting a frequency that triggered the ATIS?

Beside this problem I experience that Autothrottle sometime exceeds the EPR limit on take-Off when rolling on the runway for take-off or sometimes do keep up to the EPR limit running down the runway in take-off but exceeding the limit in the climb after going airborne. I select 1.40 thrust and thereafter select the Autothrotlle. The selected AT mode is highlighted and CLMP is activated. (pressing "EPR limit or not makes no difference).

What i also notice is that touching my throttle control can force the autothrottle to be overridden. I have read about this in the manual, but just touching it (without moving it) can be enough to override the AT, wich is not what i want (can i switch the throttle override off?) By the way... the throttle slides constantly forward and backwards during whole flight giving more and less power to the engines wich seems to be too unstable.

Last question is about the FMC. When selecting a waypoint further down the waypoint list and insert it on top of the route (when for exapmple you recieve a "direct to short cut" from ATC) , it should bring up that waypoint to be the direct to point seen from the aircraft position. What i notice is that it still remembers the last waypoint that was passed and only draws a line from the passed waypoint to the newly brought in waypoint....not a direct to from the actual aircraft position. I think this is not the way the FMC should work, or am i mistaken here?

Thanks in advance for the answers. Kind regards,

Ben

32 minutes ago, Bentree_ said:

I don't think the ATIS issue is anything that's lurking around in the Maddog. The  IVAO controller might have been using the same frequency as a nearby ATIS so you were receiving that.  Maybe only turn down/off the ATC voice in the Sim sounds configuration and see if you have this issue again.

If you are in CLMP it's the same as being in HOLD on Boeing's.  Your computer hardware can override the Autothrottle system.  I'm assuming you have TO or TO FLEX selected on the TRP.  Maybe check your null zones also.  Some hardware "noise" might cause the throttle to go to the firewall once you go to CLMP causing this issue.

The hunting EPR in cruise is actually a Note in a manual.  Try cruising in IAS instead of MACH according to this airline manual.  I can't remember which one.

Use the DIR INTC menu hardkey if you want to go direct to a fix from your current position.  You don't line select key from the Legs page in this CDU.

Hope this helps.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your answers, i will check these out in the sim. one question already now.... when i choose DIR INTC, i don't loose the waypoints coming after that point?

Regards,

Ben

No, but I have noticed that sometimes the FMC jumps to page 2 after you execute DCT INTC. It looks like you have lost everything. Just select previous page.

I think this is a bug.

1 hour ago, Omaniac said:

No, but I have noticed that sometimes the FMC jumps to page 2 after you execute DCT INTC. It looks like you have lost everything. Just select previous page.

I think this is a bug.

Make sure you report it. I don't think I've seen that before.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

I actually messed up big time today on takeoff from KBOS.  I forgot to put the FDs in TKOF mode before takeoff (Wasn't following the checklist today).  So when turning on the Autothrottle and pushing my throttles forward, the EPR exceeded the computed values by a lot.  All of the engine gauges were flashing.  In real life I would have aborted, but decided to keep going in the sim.  Suffice it to say, I had an engine failure almost immediately after liftoff.  Long story short, always make sure you are in the TKOF mode before applying TO power.