Sign in to follow this  
jt_williams

Propliners over the Andes

Propliners over the Andes

Departing to the south from Mendoza Argentina, the route follows the Mendoza river valley west, northwest, then southwest into the heart of the Andes.  Climb to 20000 feet by waypoint UMKAL with views of Aconcagua towering above the other peaks of Andes to the north. Once across past UMKAL begin descending till reaching the Pacific coast at Valparaiso before landing at Vina del Mar (SCVM).  The route proceeds to the capital city of Santiago with a landing at El Bosque airport (SCBQ) and then continues to the south to Rancagua (SCRG).  The next stop is at Talca (SCTL) followed by Chillan (SCCH).  The final leg heads back to the Pacific coast and concludes with a landing at Concepcion (SCIE).

Flightplan & Pilots Guide: here.

Aircraft:

The route is 509 miles, so we should take a plane (propliners preferred) that cruises at about 230 KIAS.  I will flying the PMDG DC-6 in USAF MATS (Military Air Transportation Service) livery from the 1960’s.

dc6-MATS1.thumb.jpg.a223fe49d7951b1020af8c03e3bf5563.jpg

Suitable aircraft include the following:  PMDG DC-6, A2A Constellation, Majestic Dash Q400, Carenado Fokker F-50

These are all good choices but as always you are free to fly what you like.

Recommended scenery:  Orbx South American Landclass

Particulars:

Date and time: Saturday March 10, 2017, 19:00 UTC

Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel
Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com
Cross-Platform Multiplayer: JoinFS. (FSX, FSX-SE, and P3D).

If you want to help others enjoy the multiplayer experience, don't forget to enter your aircraft details on the multiplayer spreadsheet (linked here). Your courtesy will save others a lot of time and effort. Thanks!

Recommend that you set your departure clock to 15:45 hours in local time to account for flight time and the usual "faffing about" time.  Allowing for 2.5 hours this should put our arrival in Concepcion at around 18:15 near sunset.

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Well done, Jeff. Great films from Valparaiso.

For your amusement, here is a cartoon from my childhood and perhaps yours as well. (Mine was in English. But the tale remains the same.) From Walt Disney. Pedro el avioncito.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Will be there in KLM colours.. :happy:

.. and have Open LC SA mesh installed.. so should not have elevation problems..

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

15 hours ago, MM said:

For your amusement, here is a cartoon from my childhood and perhaps yours as well. (Mine was in English. But the tale remains the same.) From Walt Disney. Pedro el avioncito.

They'd never get away with that these says! Depicting a female airplane as only a single engine. Disgraceful.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

19 hours ago, MM said:

Great video Mike, really enjoyed that.   I went down a Valparaiso youtube rabbit hole.  Some more Valparaiso videos below (including a leisurely bike ride) if you want to kill some time:

Valparaíso Ando

Global Street Art - Valparaiso, Chile - Art in the Streets - MOCAtv

VALPARAISO - CHILE. Drone Aerial Footage

Urban DH over roofs and houses with Brook MacDonald

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Lovely bicycle tour of the city. Nice near-dog-encounter on the way. :gaul:

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

The bicycle tour is really something...

I visited Valparaiso in the year 2000. It seems they put a lot more paint on those houses near the elevator at the harbor (there are a couple more of these machines, decaying but in use) and on other parts of the city.

The most interesting part was a visit at the SHOA, the Chilean Navy Hydrographic and Oceanographic Service. For us it was the first time to see how digital charts were produced and kept up to date. 

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

Going to Chile for the solar eclipse next year.  (Good excuse to visit another continent.)  Any freeware prop-liner recommendations? Still on FS X Steam and not buying more aircraft unitil I can get Prepar3d.  

KBJC 

AMD 3900 / RTX 2060 Pro

Two screenshots from todays flight.

PoAF50.jpg

Bert's arrival at Vina del Mar (Valparaiso) in the F50

PoADC-6landing.jpg

Douglas action at El Bosque (Santiago), Gunter landing the LAB, Jeff taxing in the MATS.

26aLetj.png

Thanks Jeff,

that was a great flight! Lots of fun with the propliners!

Great shots!

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

Following the big birds in South America on Saturday was a bit of Formation Flying in New Zealand on Sunday:

Form3.jpg

Form4.jpg

Form5.jpg

Form1.jpg

Form2.jpg

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider

What we would call 'arf 'andy. :biggrin:

Cracking flight. Thanks for taking pictures. I didn't dare look anywhere else but at Tango1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Some more Propliners over the Andes images.

dKZIj7U.jpg
At Mendoza: DC-6B Panagra (Mike), DC-6B LAB (Gunter), L-049 Aces (Nick), Duke (Josh), L-049 SAS (Anders) and Fokker 50 KLM (Bert)

WSDwZAv.jpg

Nick kissing the tarmac at SCVM

RQx30kp.jpg
Late sun frames Anders on a smooth final into SCCH

SyHRUKA.jpg
Jeff's plan produces a sunset turn into final at SCIE

Lovely flight. Great concept and execution. Fuller set of images available here.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Thanks for sharing these shots Mike, very nice pictures!

Gunter.png?dl=1

Regards

Gunter Schneider