Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Help... can't configure Warthog throttle

Well, I'm at the end of my tether with P3d. I'm so tired of blurries and delayed texture loading that I'm checking out XP11. Today I downloaded and installed the demo version, just to ensure all my hardware and panels will work properly. However, despite that the Warthog throttle is recognised as being one of the popular throttles, I can't for the life of me get it to work properly. I've configured my PFC yoke and Saitek pedals, but when I try to configure the Warthog throttle, which incidentally appears to do it successfully, and I go to the VC, the throttle moves and starts jumping all over the place. If I push the throttle forward the VC throttle moves halfway and then jumps backwards and forwards as I increase the speed. As I say, it shows up in the configuration window and moves perfectly, so it is being recognised etc, but it is not playing ball in any of the aircraft. I've spent a couple of hours with this and don't know where to go from here. If anyone could offer some advice I'd be grateful. Cheers fellas.

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Hi , I use the Warthog throttle in XP11. I haven't had issues with it. When you are in the throttle setting on the lower left you should be able to set up a profile for a particular aircraft. Perhaps set up a profile for the 172 from scratch and see how that goes. You might want to go over to the xp .org forum and look there.

Dwight Heyer

Have you calibrated the device inside X-Plane?

Also, what happens if you disconnect the Warthog? Are the yoke/throttle still? Maybe there's another device that has been wrongly assigned to yoke/throttles, so you have a conflict between the two?

As a last resort, you could try going to the folder "X-Plane 11\Output\preferences" and delete the files "X-Plane Calibration.prf", "X-Plane Joystick Settings.prf", and the content of the folder "control profiles".

Then reconnect the devices one at a time and run X-Plane each time assigning them one by one.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

9 hours ago, dheyer said:

Hi , I use the Warthog throttle in XP11. I haven't had issues with it. When you are in the throttle setting on the lower left you should be able to set up a profile for a particular aircraft. Perhaps set up a profile for the 172 from scratch and see how that goes. You might want to go over to the xp .org forum and look there.

Thanks Dwight

8 hours ago, Murmur said:

Also, what happens if you disconnect the Warthog? Are the yoke/throttle still? Maybe there's another device that has been wrongly assigned to yoke/throttles, so you have a conflict between the two?

As a last resort, you could try going to the folder "X-Plane 11\Output\preferences" and delete the files "X-Plane Calibration.prf", "X-Plane Joystick Settings.prf", and the content of the folder "control profiles".

Then reconnect the devices one at a time and run X-Plane each time assigning them one by one.

That sounds like a plan. I'll follow your suggestion and let you know if I have any success, cheers.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

Initially , when I started exploring xp10 I found it to be frustrating. But I was awed by the rendering of the sim and the way the aircraft reacted to the winds and flight controls. For me it has a much steeper learning curve than FSX or P3D ( I have both). I hope you get it sorted out.

Dwight Heyer

6 hours ago, dheyer said:

Initially , when I started exploring xp10 I found it to be frustrating. But I was awed by the rendering of the sim and the way the aircraft reacted to the winds and flight controls. For me it has a much steeper learning curve than FSX or P3D ( I have both). I hope you get it sorted out.

Thanks Dwight.

Howard

20 hours ago, Murmur said:

Thanks for your input. After following your advice I had some success and managed to get the throttle to work correctly, but now for some reason, the yoke will not work!!!!!!! At the same time, the spring in the yoke broke :angry: so I will have to get that fixed before I proceed any further. It's not an easy fix, as the last time it took me ages to find the correct springs with the right tension for the roll axis. This time it's the elevator axis, which is a different length .I'm pretty convinced the good lord is giving me signs to pack up simming. Everything I touch for the past six months seems to break! :blush:

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard

I have the Warthog HOTAS as well and have no problems. What you need to also look out for is making sure no other axis are being automatically assigned and if so, delete them. I found that some flight simulators like to also assign a throttle axis to the slew control, which is the tiny little knob that your left middle finger rests on on the right throttle. Go through all of your controls and make sure you don't have any axis assigned twice on different peripherals. 

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

7 hours ago, PWJT8D said:

I have the Warthog HOTAS as well and have no problems. What you need to also look out for is making sure no other axis are being automatically assigned and if so, delete them. I found that some flight simulators like to also assign a throttle axis to the slew control, which is the tiny little knob that your left middle finger rests on on the right throttle. Go through all of your controls and make sure you don't have any axis assigned twice on different peripherals. 

Hi Andrew, sure, I've done all that. I'm sure you're right, it certainly looks like there is a conflict somewhere, but exactly how and where I'm unsure. I'm going to take a closer look tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on. Cheers.

Howard

5 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

Hi Andrew, sure, I've done all that. I'm sure you're right, it certainly looks like there is a conflict somewhere, but exactly how and where I'm unsure. I'm going to take a closer look tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on. Cheers.

If you still have issues, you could try to resolve it with a manual operation:

1) Open the file: "X-Plane 11\Output\preferences\X-Plane Joystick Settings.prf"

2) Halfway in the file, you'll find a list like this:

_joy_AXIS_use0 2
_joy_AXIS_use1 1
_joy_AXIS_use2 3
_joy_AXIS_use3 4
_joy_AXIS_use4 0
_joy_AXIS_use5 0
_joy_AXIS_use6 0
_joy_AXIS_use7 0
_joy_AXIS_use8 0
_joy_AXIS_use9 0

The last number is the function assigned to the specific axis (0=unassigned, 1=pitch, 2=roll, 3=yaw, 4=throttle).

3) If you have more than one axis assigned to the same number/function, you'll have a conflict. So manually edit the file, making sure that the same number is not used for more than one axis.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

3 hours ago, Murmur said:

If you still have issues, you could try to resolve it with a manual operation:

1) Open the file: "X-Plane 11\Output\preferences\X-Plane Joystick Settings.prf"

2) Halfway in the file, you'll find a list like this:

_joy_AXIS_use0 2
_joy_AXIS_use1 1
_joy_AXIS_use2 3
_joy_AXIS_use3 4
_joy_AXIS_use4 0
_joy_AXIS_use5 0
_joy_AXIS_use6 0
_joy_AXIS_use7 0
_joy_AXIS_use8 0
_joy_AXIS_use9 0

The last number is the function assigned to the specific axis (0=unassigned, 1=pitch, 2=roll, 3=yaw, 4=throttle).

3) If you have more than one axis assigned to the same number/function, you'll have a conflict. So manually edit the file, making sure that the same number is not used for more than one axis.

Thanks, matey, unsure why with a fresh install of the demo I have these issues, but I'll follow your advice and report back. I've only just today fixed my PFC yoke so I will try and sort it asap. Thanks again.

Howard

On 3/5/2018 at 0:27 AM, Murmur said:

Hi Murmur, I have eventually got things to work. I followed your lead, only this time by reinstalling each controller, independently, and restarting XP between configuring each controller. The only thing I have an issue with now, is the rediculously oversensitive controls. I've reduced all sensitivity to 0% but it has not had any effect whatsoever. If you know a simple answer that would be helpful, if not, no sweat, I'll start a separate thread. Thanks for your hep, appreciated.

• Upvote 1

Howard

54 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

Hi Murmur, I have eventually got things to work. I followed your lead, only this time by reinstalling each controller, independently, and restarting XP between configuring each controller. The only thing I have an issue with now, is the rediculously oversensitive controls. I've reduced all sensitivity to 0% but it has not had any effect whatsoever. If you know a simple answer that would be helpful, if not, no sweat, I'll start a separate thread. Thanks for your hep, appreciated.

It works the other way round, i.e. 100% for both control response and stability augmentation will make the controls less sensitive (weird for a first time user, I know :-) ). You should begin with increasing control response, then if you're still not happy, increase also the stability augmentation (this latter has a direct influence on the flight model, so it is a more "intrusive" setting).

Some aircrafts may also be more sensitive than others.

2 hours ago, Murmur said:

It works the other way round, i.e. 100% for both control response and stability augmentation will make the controls less sensitive (weird for a first time user, I know :-) ). You should begin with increasing control response, then if you're still not happy, increase also the stability augmentation (this latter has a direct influence on the flight model, so it is a more "intrusive" setting).

Some aircrafts may also be more sensitive than others.

?? hmm, I thought I had played around considerably at different ends of the sliders. I'll check it out again, as it may well be finger trouble at my end. Cheers :blink: 

Howard

59 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

?? hmm, I thought I had played around considerably at different ends of the sliders. I'll check it out again, as it may well be finger trouble at my end. Cheers :blink: 

Least sensitivity is both sliders at right, at 100%. But many aircrafts in XP are more sensitive compared to MSFS/P3D. Heavier aircrafts tend to be better, and it also depends if the aircraft designer did a good work.