Sign in to follow this  
DrumsArt

Avsim site more and more slow ?

Hi,

It's me or the site is really more and more slow ?

Thank you and Regards,

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

It's been very slow the past couple of months. Every now and then they manage to sort it out.

Jose De Campos

London

I thought I was the only one who was having issues.

Yes, last few days and weeks (less than a month) it's been noticeably slower.  

Rich Boll

Wichita, KS

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

Considering that there are 1000+ folks on-line at the same time, I cannot be too surprised! :happy:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

From a technical standpoint, what's needed to speed things up?

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

I am pretty positive (but not completely), our tech was working on the site over the weekend.  Nights and weekends are about the only time he has to work on the site in his continuing pursuit to fix performance issues as he is like most of us... he has a real job during the day.  The site was slower than normal but not always.  For instance, on Fri night and some spots over the weekends, we had over 1400 guests and users on site and I saw no performance issues.  The major issue affecting site performance is member searches here on AVSIM and via other search engines like Google and Bing.  According to the tech, this literally brings the site down.  So, if everyone just surfed the site and posted topics, everything would be great. 

So Bill is correct above but only if there are many searches going on.  If you have 1000 or more on board, you can bet there is a whole lot of searching going on.  It is my understanding this is where he's trying to make performance improvements.  If you can remember several years ago, when Tom was handling the tech by himself, he had to shutdown many special components of AVSIM (like searches) until performance got better but that was mainly caused by our ISP (which we have since left and gone to a new one) and the system software (which we upgraded to early last year but still needs additional upgrades).  Site performance is frustrating for everyone, including me and the AVSIM moderators as it sometimes takes us 30 seconds or longer just to open and close a topic. 

There are not many sites that has 800-1400 guests and members on board 24/7 (you can see the totals at the bottom of the forums page).  Again, we get our revenue to upgrade the site only from advertisers and member donations.  The commercial/non-commercial developers we host here at AVSIM get free space to run their support forums.  We have a lot more other things going on here too with over 40 new registrations, on average, every day, AVSIM reviews, and, of course, everyone trying to download the AVSIM FSX Configuration, AVSIM CTD, and AVSIM Prepar3D guides almost constantly.  So, one solution for members would be to do their searching during the days on weekdays and surf and post during the weekends.  The site is not always slow and I have seen it really performing very fast most of the time.

Wish there was a better answer/solution to give you.

Best regards,

Jim

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Understood...Thanks for the explanations.

Regards,

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|