Sign in to follow this  
Captain45

'Shocking' camera transition

Last week I switched from EZDOKv2 to Chaseplane (v0.4.194 Beta) and I must admit that the reviewers are right. It is intuitive and setting up camera's is a lot more comfortable than with EZDOK. The magnitude of ways to switch between camera's is overwhelming. In EZDOK there is only one way and that works also. In fact, if one is used to setup camera's in EZDOK it is not as comfortable, but it works. I can't say that for the motion effects which are horrible in EZDOK.

But...., there is always a but. Although I have a reasonable powerfull PC and Graphics, the Transition In & Out between camera's in Chaseplane is a shocking experience. On the ground it is smooth, but in flight It is far from smooth. In EZDOK it was always smooth and fast. On the ground and flying. Even while approaching complex airports, Chaseplane does a bad job on this subject. At least, on my PC. I thought the program might have selected the most busy core, but I cannot check that. Core selection as showed in the reviewers video's is no longer shown in my version.

I have switched off every place where TrackIR is mentioned, because I don't have that. In terms of Motion EffectsPreferences/Camera Modifiers Speed Boost is 3X, Binoculars 1X. Only the Captain camera has Evironmental/Ground and Human Breathing + F. Horizon on. The rest is off because I fly the MJCQ400. I have set Easing Function to Sinusondal-Middle; 1000 ms.

If it is caused by Chasplane or not, I don't know. But on short final when I disconnect the autopilot my plane makes a swing that make my virtual passengers grabbing the sick bags. Never had that before with EZDOK.

I sure hope there is a solution for these inconveniences. I can always go back to EZDOK but I prefer not to. After all, that would be a waste of 31 euro.

Dirk

PC: Core i7-7700K @ 4.8 GHz; MSI Z270 Gaming Pro; 16 GB; Hydro H60 Cooler; MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ; 2 * SSD; 2 * HDD; 32"  monitor; Prepar3D v4.4, ORBX Global, -Vector, -Europe, -Can/N-US, Chaseplane. Notebook: AS4-ASCA, AivlaSoft EFB v.2, 

Can you post a short video of the transition in flight?

For the other issue, ChasePlane does not affect the physics of the aircraft so it’s most likely something else...

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Hi Keven,

To get possibly a more smooth transition I selected Sinusoidal (right) and made the recording while parked. Even then it's not smooth compared to EZDOKv2's way of doing the same. It might be the complexity in the magnetude of transition's.

I have uploaded the video to my Youtube account.

Cheers,

Dirk

PC: Core i7-7700K @ 4.8 GHz; MSI Z270 Gaming Pro; 16 GB; Hydro H60 Cooler; MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ; 2 * SSD; 2 * HDD; 32"  monitor; Prepar3D v4.4, ORBX Global, -Vector, -Europe, -Can/N-US, Chaseplane. Notebook: AS4-ASCA, AivlaSoft EFB v.2, 

Well.... I played a bit with the transition time and with 600 ms it looks a lot better. Maybe something to set as default (which was significantly higher if I remember well) and in the manual.

Still.... it should be smooth also in longer transition times.

Cheers

Dirk

The next one is in flight. Transition time 600 ms. Still stuttering.

I checked the Utilization of the CPU Cores and the Graphics card.

Cores together go between 35% and high 90'% for a split second. Sometimes the cores flash all to 100%. De Graphics stay between 35 and 55% utilization. I checked while clicking through all tranbsitions. So imho, it is not the PC hardware to blame, nor P3D's Graphics settings.

Dirk

Edited by Captain45

OMG... Reading the User Manual I see that Prepar3D_v4.2.21.24048 that I am using is not (yet) supported. But... the manual was last updated in November '16 so it could very well be that Chaseplane works with v4.2. I thought I'd better mention this. After all, LM might have change things that influence the Transition stutter.

Dirk

I updated the Manual, It support 4.2 in the Experimental channel.

Do you have any custom Affinity Mask set for P3D or other apps?

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Hi Keven,

I have not set Affinity Mask in the prepar3d.cfg and not in any add-on either by myself. Add-on are installed default. Don't know what they might do. Monitoring the Utilization of the CPU cores I've found that although Core #0 is often at 100% in flight, it is below that most of the time. I checked this during doing frequent transitions but I could not see any effect on the Core usage.

At Preferences/General I had not activated Experimental versions which was the default setting I think. I switched it on,  did a restart.and switched the Transition on again. While parked on the ground  cold & dark and only P3D active the Transitions go smooth. However, as soon as I activate UTLive I see very tiny stutters at the beginning and the end of the transition. But I don't see much effect on the core usage at all. That might be different in flight.

Today I'm busy witth other things but I'll do some more testen tomorrow.

Dirk

I am wondering if it's not because your FPS drop below 60 on a 60 Hz monitor.  Check your FPS before activating UTLive, if FPS is higher than 60 and as soon you are activating UTLive it's droping below 60, you will know the culprit.

On my system (60 hz monitor) if the FPS is not higher than 60, all my camera pannings are not smooth. If higher then 60, all is smooth as silk..

Mike

6 hours ago, Mikelab6 said:

I am wondering if it's not because your FPS drop below 60 on a 60 Hz monitor. 

Just checked it. I also have a 60 Hz monitor (32" Philips TV). Usually on the ground, ready for enigine start, my FPS is between 55 and 70 with higher peaks. I don't see much difference when UTLive is active (after a while). Doing transitions does give a tiny drop in FSP but no longer than the duration of the transition 600 ms. and not more than 10 FPS. Sometimes it's smoothing after repeated clicks, but not always and continued. 

I did checked the Windows10 Gaming mode and have switched it off now. Not that it makes it any better. But it wass in the User Manual so I followed the advise.

What puzzles me is, that in EZDOKv2 with the same hard- and software, the transitions were smooth as silk. So there must be something different the the usage of resources by Chaseplane. At least, that is my guess. Maybe it's just the MJCQ400. I'll give it a try with the default A36 later and see what happens. And.... it could just be the monitor although I doubt that.

Dirk

I just tested with the default Carenado A36 (UTLive active) and transitions are smooth as silk. FPS makes not that much difference with the Q400. It's around 10 FPS lower between 41 and 53 fps.