Sign in to follow this  
mihalich

Taxiway Maintenance, Runway crossing question/issue

Hi Dave,

A question about taxiway maintenance.

I imported the taxiway and gate info from XP11, for a few airports, one of which is KLAS.  The routes were all correct, but there were no hold short points.  So, my question/issue is what points should be setup as hold short points.  So, obviously, the taxi points at the hold short lines to the beginning of a runway should be marked as hold_short.  But I also figured that the taxi points at the hold short lines for runway crossings should also be marked as hold_short.  Is that a correct assumption?  I'm not sure if p2atc automatically detects runway crossing and puts in it's own hold short points for the taxi route it creates (and thus my runway crossing hold short taxi points would be unneeded and incorrect).  There wasn't a whole lot about this in the manual.

So here's the problem i'm having. I set all hold short line taxi points to hold_short and when i request taxi to the runway, it generates the taxi route correctly, and tells me hold short of runway xx that i need to cross, also correctly.  However, when i approach the runway crossing hold short point (which is correctly marked with a black triangle), pilot2atc thinks i'm at the departure runway, and tells me to contact tower, rather than clear me to cross the runway.

Looking for guidance here on whether there's a bug, this is expected behavior, or i configured the runway crossing hold short points incorrectly.

I've put a link to a picture of what i'm talking about below.  In the picture, I drew a red line showing the taxi path it gave me from the gate area.  I was taxiing to runway 01R.  At the runway crossing hold short point with the yellow circle around it, p2atc told me to contact tower instead of clearing me to cross the runway.  When i got to the departure runway hold short point circled in blue, it gave me no instructions cuz it already told me to contact tower.  

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4VxLy15hYt05jV9t2

Thanks for the help

Joe

Edited by mihalich

Joe,

Your hold_short points appear to be correct.

Sometimes, ground will transfer you to Tower for the last bit of your taxi because you are going into a nest of active or potentially active runways.

If you are  transferred to Tower as you were, the you should contact tower with "<CallSign> ready to cross Runway xx".  You then should get clearance to cross and then when you get to the departure runway, you call tower with the "...ready for departure...." call.

If you fail to get clearance to cross a runway, which can happen, just make the call that you are "...waiting to cross Runway xx.." and you should get clearance.

Dave