Sign in to follow this  
peirato

Advice about configuration a new PC

Hello all

I’m going to upgrade PC (buy a new PC) for my father (he likes to play in MFS, but after the upgrade, he will play in Prepar3D v4).

I chose the next configuration: MB B250, i5 7500, Nvidia 1050Ti, 8Gb RAM, 250Gb SSD and 1Tb HDD.

I have been reading a lot of information about advice to buy Nvidia 1060 6gb (and also, better 1080), more powerful processor, SSD at least 500gb... but my budget has a limit. 

I have 2 questions and I hope you can help me.

1) How do you think my configuration is OK? Will my father play in Prepart3D with comfort on this PC? Or 1050Ti is minimum for this game? 

(I’m not planning to upgrade PC soon again)

2) Is it enough size of SSD for install Windows and game? Or will better to buy SSD 128Gb and Prepar3D install on HDD and save a little bit money? (I have not money for SSD 500gb).

Give me advice, please. 

Thank you!

One question right off the bat... is your Dad's plan to enjoy P3Dv4 in it's stock configuration without 3rd party add-on aircraft and sceneries?  If so, I believe he'd be just fine with what you've spec'd.  But if he will load the sim up with add-on airports, sceneries, AI traffic, and study-level aircraft (like PMDG, A2A, etc.), then that system may struggle a bit depending upon how he adjusts the P3D settings.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

8 hours ago, dmiannay said:

One question right off the bat... is your Dad's plan to enjoy P3Dv4 in it's stock configuration without 3rd party add-on aircraft and sceneries?  If so, I believe he'd be just fine with what you've spec'd.  But if he will load the sim up with add-on airports, sceneries, AI traffic, and study-level aircraft (like PMDG, A2A, etc.), then that system may struggle a bit depending upon how he adjusts the P3D settings.

I think he will start to play in stock configuration. But I don’t exclude that he decide to try add-ons later. 

What should I improve? Video card?

The video card is a key part of the equation for P3Dv4.  However, this is a horrible time to be looking at new, high-end graphics cards.  Prices have skyrocketed due to demand from cryptominers, and I don't believe there's any near-term relief in sight.  Since he's starting out with stock P3Dv4, you'll be fine with where you are now.  Later, if he wants to try some of the more advanced add-ons, download and give them a try, and if performance struggles, look to upgrade the graphics card at that time.  Hopefully, by then, prices will have come down and stabilized.

There are many valuable opinions here at Avsim.  Hopefully someone else will chime in with additional suggestions.

• Upvote 1

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

On 3/7/2018 at 4:06 PM, dmiannay said:

The video card is a key part of the equation for P3Dv4.  However, this is a horrible time to be looking at new, high-end graphics cards.  Prices have skyrocketed due to demand from cryptominers, and I don't believe there's any near-term relief in sight.  Since he's starting out with stock P3Dv4, you'll be fine with where you are now.  Later, if he wants to try some of the more advanced add-ons, download and give them a try, and if performance struggles, look to upgrade the graphics card at that time.  Hopefully, by then, prices will have come down and stabilized.

There are many valuable opinions here at Avsim.  Hopefully someone else will chime in with additional suggestions.

Thank you very much for information!