Sign in to follow this  
danb

GTN 750 - nav flag on HSI

xplane 11 / GTN 750 / Carenado-V35 / HSI

Normally the GTN 750 / HSI interaction is fine (I've got an OBS issue, but that's a topic for a different thread).

However, when locating the airplane at KGUC I get a nav flag on the HSI, and location on the GTN 750 map shows off airport.  Once 'in the air', both HSI and GTN displays agree and HSI / nav behaves normal EXCEPT for the HSI continuing to display the NAV flag.  Even tuning to a VOR and switching to VLOC doesn't change this behavior.

What could be causing this?

Hi,

Do you mean the NAV FLAG shows, but then, going to the main screen, changing location, then back in the cockpit, the NAV FLAG disappear? That is the flag depends on the location, not the aircraft?

Otherwise, can you cross check you've set the GTN to the pilot or the copilot side in the GUI Settings Panel? There are 2 sets of X-Plane datarefs, a set for the pilot side and a set for the copilot side. Selecting the correct side is important and depends on how the aircraft was designed by its vendor, that is, a vendor might take a pilot side only HSI to both side, or take both a pilot and copilot side HSI gauge to both the pilot and the copilot instruments in the panel. This is aircraft dependant.

Besides, is this happening with all aircraft or only the Carenado V35?

What about this: when the aircraft loaded and ready to fly with the GTN visible, uncheck the GTN in the Plugin/RXP/GTN menu, wait a few seconds for it to close, then check it on again.

Edited by RXP

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

I did some experimenting, as you suggested.  The issue didn't manifest in the stock 172, but it did independent of how I positioned the V35 at KGUC.

So I played with the settings a bit, and changing the "VLOC Source" from "Automatic (NAV1)" to just "NAV1" did the trick.

And on top of that, OBS mode now works too.

So indeed this seems to have been an issue in the way the V35 is configured.  Thanks for your help!

Thank you for your feedback. I'll review if there could be a bug in the 'automatic' setting not applying properly.

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

I have this same issue and thankfully this thread points it out to switch automatic Nav off. Once I chose Nav1 all is well.

Tim

38 minutes ago, takl23 said:

I have this same issue and thankfully this thread points it out to switch automatic Nav off. Once I chose Nav1 all is well.

Hi,

This is really peculiar. In effect, when the GUI window shows "Automatic (NAV1)", the mention of "NAV1" comes from the same code which is then used in the plugin when dealing with the HSI and such. In other words, whether it is 'automatic (nav1)' or forcefully 'nav1', the setting value is read the same internally by all dependent code.

For v2.4.15 update, we've reviewed all code path and have failed to find the reason for this, and we haven't been able to repro either?!?!

I'll have another look before we release the next update anytime soon though.

In the meantime, if you set it to NAV1 and solve the issue, then if you set it back to automatic, is the issue coming back or is it definitely fixed?

Edited by RXP

The purpose of this setting is also to choose which radios gets set when in VLOC mode. In other words, what value to write to the dataref: "HSI_source_select_pilot" or "HSI_source_select_copilot" whether the GTN is on the pilot or copilot side.

In effect, XPlane HSI source selector has 3 possible values: NAV1, NAV2 and GPS. Therefore, when AutoNavGps = true ("; connects CDI key to NAV/GPS switch if true."), and you switch from GPS to VLOC, we need to tell XPlane whether the HSI source is NAV1 or NAV2.

AutoNavSource then writes either the RadiosPair setting value to the dataref (NAV1/COM1 or NAV2/COM2), this is the automatic setting, or forcefully writes the selected radios set. This allows for example having the GTN on COM2/NAV2 for the radios, but the VLOC mode switching the HSI to NAV1/COM1 instead.

I have an HSI problem also. When flying the Carenado CT210M for X Plane11 with the Reality XP 750 installed, on an LPV approach there is no vertical guidance just lateral. The red NAV flag on the HSI is displayed during the approach. If I use the XPlane 530 it works just fine. Is there a setting that I have to check or something in setup that makes the vertical guidance lock on when in approach mode?

Any help appreciated 

Hi Matranga,

IIRC, with some aircraft, you could try to unselect then re-select the GTN from the RXP GTN menu. This will restart the XPlane override sequence, that is what permits our plugin to tell X-Plane we are taking control of the GPS. You see, some aircraft want to do the same as well, and it is highly probable this work for the last one requesting. In other words, should our GTN device gets initialize prior the aircraft plugin and the aircraft plugin also wants to override X-Plane, the last one wins.

RXP

Thanks for the info. I reset the 750 as you instructed and all is good. The 750 works as intended. No red flag. Track GS.

Realy appreciate the help