Sign in to follow this  
sbclark

Oculus Rift Down Worldwide

Tried to fire up my Oculus Rift Software this morning and it gave me the following message:

"Can't Reach Oculus Runtime Service"

After checking on the Internel, I found this:

https://www.polygon.com/2018/3/7/17091938/oculus-runtime-error-outage-rift-vr-facebook

Bill Clark

• Upvote 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

6 minutes ago, sbclark said:

Tried to fire up my Oculus Rift Software this morning and it gave me the following message:

"Can't Reach Oculus Runtime Service"

After checking on the Internel, I found this:

https://www.polygon.com/2018/3/7/17091938/oculus-runtime-error-outage-rift-vr-facebook

Bill Clark

Yep same here Clark really stupid that the software has to run on the web miss the old times when you didn't have to do that crap.

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

So the Oculus RIft requires a continuous connection to their servers to work?  Wow...I had no idea.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Apparently their server certificate expired so the program is blocked. Someone forgot to pay the bill and should get fired for such a stupid oversight. If you are going to implement a draconian system like that then someone better be darn sure it's taken care of. Makes me wonder if then can force obsolescence like apple and start randomly breaking devices so you need to buy the next newest one....or someone sues them and they decide to pull the rug out under everyone...boom hundreds of thousands of people stuck with a  $450.00 paperweight. Who cares that you actually purchased the device and should be able to use it, cloud computing or not.

Fix: Disable windows automatic time update and set your clock back a few days and restart the oculus service til they pay their bill....

Edited by Slayer

49 minutes ago, w6kd said:

So the Oculuis RIft requires a continuous connection to their servers to work?  Wow...I had no idea.

Regards

I'm not sure it does. I have the Oculus software blocked in the firewall for months without problems. I can't use the store and can't do updates (which are advantages for me), but I can use the Rift without any troubles or outside interference.

here's in update https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/62715/oculus-runtime-services-current-status/p1

11:59AM edited 8:11PM inSupport

We are aware of and actively investigating an issue impacting ability to access Rift software. Our teams apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing you and appreciate your patience while we work on a resolution. We'll share more updates here as we have them. Thanks.

Update:
Hey everyone - This is an issue with our software certification that we're still actively working on. For security, we use a certificate to ensure that the software you receive actually comes from Oculus. That certificate has expired, and we're looking at a few different ways to resolve the issue. We’ll update you with the latest info as available. We recommend you wait until we provide an official fix. Thanks for your patience.

Update #2:
Hey everyone - We're still working hard to resolve the cert issue. We're in the process of integrating an updated cert. Unfortunately, pushing the update out to affected users has some added complexity, as the expired cert blocks our standard software update path. We're working through the options now, and we expect to have more details to share later this evening.

Tagged: 

Support

Customer Support

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Due to this issue where i first though my rift died (spent an hour Debugging), i gave up then did my afterwork flight in normal 2D. I really missed my rift for take off and landing (pmdg ):/. Back to constant mouse panning was just horrible....

It was just after the flight that i googled the error message to find out it was global and i am now glad it was fixed.

I´m not sure what to do with the 15$ oculus store credit but it is welcome.

JP

1 hour ago, FuriousBird said:

Due to this issue where i first though my rift died (spent an hour Debugging), i gave up then did my afterwork flight in normal 2D. I really missed my rift for take off and landing (pmdg ):/. Back to constant mouse panning was just horrible....

It was just after the flight that i googled the error message to find out it was global and i am now glad it was fixed.

I´m not sure what to do with the 15$ oculus store credit but it is welcome.

JP

Hi Jp I honestly get lone echo amazing game fun think it's one of the best vr games it's a little more expensive but with the the 15 off it's a better deal   http://m.ign.com/articles/2017/08/01/lone-echo-review

Edited by Silverbird

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

I received an email from Oculus describing how to download a small patch to fix the issue.   Will do that tonight.

https://www.oculus.com/rift-patch.  Run the patch and select repair.  Then start up Oculus desktop app and continue the update process.

I know this is history but I just had to comment about the link Bill Clark posted (OP) Scroll down to the second post by thecommonperson. I laughed my socks of. :laugh: He put it all into perspective.

PS. I'm new to VR and thought I'd just have to plug it in and put it on my head. Sheesh! Whadda mistaka to make! Earlier I felt an inordinate sense of achievement by turning off the Oculus Home dirge-like music. Yeesss!

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.