Today, my monitor rolled snake eyes (for those familiar with AH Squad Leader) and appears to be no longer functional.  It has been flickering worse and worse with every start up for the last few weeks so it was not unexpected. 

Anyone have a good recommendation for a 27” monitor for P3D and X-Plane?

Thanks,

Rich Boll

Wichita, KS 

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

Hey, Rich.  I recently picked up a 27" ASUS PG279Q IPS monitor (165Hz, 4ms) and couldn't be happier.  Yes, it was a bit pricey, but it's the clearest, sharpest, most color-rich monitor I've owned to-date.  I use it exclusively with P3Dv4.

• Upvote 1

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

If you dont want to have any headache on the subject "why im having stutters with the fps flutuation" on any of them go with any g-sync monitor, Acer Predator line is highly recommended.

• Upvote 1

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

36 minutes ago, dmiannay said:

Hey, Rich.  I recently picked up a 27" ASUS PG279Q IPS monitor (165Hz, 4ms) and couldn't be happier.  Yes, it was a bit pricey, but it's the clearest, sharpest, most color-rich monitor I've owned to-date.  I use it exclusively with P3Dv4.

This monitor was on full display at the store I frequent the other day. I forget the game they had running on it but it was gorgeous, no tearing, ghosting with brilliant colors and deep blacks, even in the crappy lighting that the store offered.

Next on my list.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, dmiannay said:

8 hours ago, FunknNasty said:

This monitor was on full display at the store I frequent the other day. I forget the game they had running on it but it was gorgeous, no tearing, ghosting with brilliant colors and deep blacks, even in the crappy lighting that the store offered.

Next on my list.  

You won't be disappointed, Ken.  P3Dv4 looks amazing on it.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Thanks everyone!

Rich 

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

What specifications is one looking for in a monitor to work well with P3D and X-Plane to avoid visual issues, FPS drops, etc.?  

My system is a i7 2700K Sandybridge OC to 4.4 (or so it says) with a GTX 960 card.  My system is dated, I know.  I can't max out the sliders on the fun stuff (A/I, Autogen) and Orbx SoCal gives me fits, but otherwise it works pretty good with frame rates in the 20's for PMDG and AS4. I am looking at an upgrade this summer, but that may or may not happen as I many competing interest for my $$ in the near future.  

If I go for a high end monitor, am I wasting my money? 

Thanks!

Rich 

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

Hi,

For your actual hardware, stay with a 1920x1080 screen resolution if you were satisfied with it before (my personal preference is 2560x1440).

Look to buy a monitor with the lowest response time as possible (best is 1 ms). Don't go over 4 ms as possible.  Look here to help understand monitor specifications : http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/specs.htm#response time

Mike

On 3/7/2018 at 9:24 PM, dmiannay said:

The ASUS PG279Q is a great monitor, and I really like mine, but requires a second mortgage on the house to afford it. The 2560 X 1440 resolution is a nice bump from 1920 X 1080. G-sync works flawlessly, even in those occasions of low fps.

• Like 1

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

18 hours ago, richjb2 said:

What specifications is one looking for in a monitor to work well with P3D and X-Plane to avoid visual issues, FPS drops, etc.?  

My system is a i7 2700K Sandybridge OC to 4.4 (or so it says) with a GTX 960 card.

Remember that visual issues and FPS drops are really nothing to do with the monitor itself, other than when considering the screen resolution. The combination of CPU (primarily), GPU and add-ons are what will determine performance. With your current hardware, I agree with Mike that sticking with a 1920x1080 monitor is your best bet. Higher resolutions will just make things worse. Also, unless you just want to invest for the future, I'd avoid a G-Sync monitor as they generally cost considerably more and only work with framerates above 30. Your system is less likely to be able to sustain that sort of FPS with add-ons. I would also say that a 27" monitor is really just about the upper limit of size vs resolution at 1920x1080 - in my experience, at a typical viewing distance you'll just be able to make out the individual pixels.

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Thanks Vortex,

I know my computer is right now at the low end of the performance spectrum.  I am contemplating an upgrade maybe later this year, highly probable in 2019.  I don't want to tie myself to monitor that is old especially if I get a better performing CPU and graphic card.  My current HP 2509b 25" gave me about 10 years of good service. 

Thanks for the help!

Rich 

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

17 hours ago, richjb2 said:

I am contemplating an upgrade maybe later this year, highly probable in 2019.

You could always run a new monitor at a lower resolution than its native one, but this generally gives a poorer image. Your system will almost certainly struggle to give good performance if you try to run at 2560x1440 or higher. 1920x1080 monitors are relatively inexpensive now so you wouldn't lose a lot buying one and changing it when you upgrade your system. You could then use the old monitor as a second screen.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Thanks Vortex!

There's a lot of choices out there.  This is not an easy decision.

Rich 

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

On 3/10/2018 at 9:01 AM, vortex681 said:

I'd avoid a G-Sync monitor as they ... only work with framerates above 30.

FALSE, the lower fps end of G-sync 1-to-1 frame syncing varies by monitor/implementation, and is mostly a function a monitor's refresh capability. To compensate for frame rates that drop below the monitor's lowest refresh rate, G-sync uses multiples of fps as a refresh, ensuring that the refresh rate is ALWAYS faster than minimum monitor refresh. G-sync will sync with ANY fps, including down to 1 fps, simply by refreshing at a rate above the monitors minimum refresh, but always as a multiple of fps. Visually, there is no difference between 1-1 sync, or 1-2, or 1-3, etc. The problem starts when the refresh to fps is 1-1.2, or anything other than a whole multiple of fps.

Ex.: If P3D fps drops to 24, G-sync doubles, or triples to refresh of 48, or 72. If P3D fps drops to 15, G-sync sends frames at 30, or 45.

G-sync monitors do indeed cost more...quite a bit more than the same panel without G-sync.

Edited by somiller
additional clarification

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB