Sign in to follow this  
Bretd123

Saitek Components for XP11 Real-World Training

Hello all, this is my first post. I am new to flight simulation and have yet to even receive my computer and components (yes, that new). I am a pilot working towards part 91 or part 121 operations. I would like to train and eventually have my students train on my simulator. I have the Saitek yoke, throttle quadrant, and rudder pedals. I am curious how well the other Saitek components work and which ones would take out some of the hassle of using the simulator. I want to have some insight on what my next component should be (maybe the multi panel or switch panel) to make the simulator easier to use and more realistic. I am trying to avoid having to use the keyboard and mouse as much as possible. I am considering getting my simulator FAA certified after I acquire my CFII. Thanks for the help!

I can give some feedback on the Saitek Multipanel. This is with the curent X-Plane 11 version, Windows 10 computer. 

Positives:

It does give a more realistic, if somewhat generic, cockpit feel to a flight sim. It's fun to use physical controls for flaps, pitch trim, and autopilot functions (none of the plane models I fly use the Auto Throttle feature). Seeing a big red LED display for Altitude and VS, along with AP mode buttons that light up, adds to the illusion of being in a real aircraft, even with my fairly basic desktop setup (just the multipanel, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek combat pedal flight controls).

Downside:

It's rather expensive for what it is, and the buttons and dials feel cheap and flimsy. At this price, I'd expect better build and materials. It's a niche product so they can charge what they want.

It can be tricky to get it working in X-Plane 11. Saitek has a fairly new driver that supports v11, but I think most people use a free plugin at the .org site called xsaitekpanels. This works on my rig, but I still have to rotate a dial on the panel to "wake up" the LED display after X-Plane loads. You may also have to run a small utility that changes WIndows USB sleep settings (just for the Saitek stuff), which is linked and explained in the xsaitekpanel docs.

The silver dial on the multipanel that adjusts Alt and VS is much slower to use than a mouse wheel in the 3D cockpit. Not a problem for small adjustments, but I end up using the mouse in the 3D cockpit for large Alt changes.

Finally, the Saitek multipanel is a generic instrument and won't always match the capabilities or layout of the autopilot in a specific aircraft. For example, I often fly the Carenado PC-12 model. The AP buttons are arranged in a different order on the multipanel, and two are missing (Half Bank and Soft Ride, although the latter is disabled in the model). It lacks the separate Eng and Arm buttons of the PC-12's Alt/VS mode control, although that can be accomplished with button modes on the multipanel. And obviously, it has more features than the most basic AP in smaller GA aircraft and trainers will have.

Summing up: 

So it won't be a 1:1 model for a sim cockpit build, unless you're using an aircraft that very closely matches the layout and functions of the unit. I don't know if that matters to you or not, but I thought I'd mention it. There are times when I prefer using the mouse in the 3D cockpit just because I feel like I'm actually learning how to operate a PC-12 rather than going through an intermediate layer with the multipanel.

Maybe another Saitek panel user can chime in with more comments on the multipanel and the other panels. Good luck with the cockpit build, and welcome to Avsim!

Edited by Paraffin
  • Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Thank you. That's good info. I will only be flying smaller general aviation planes like a 172 or PA-28 because that's what students train on in the real world. Any experience with the individual instruments? I'm not sure what Alt and VS changes are, unless you are referring to how the larger, more advanced planes operate. I actually fly the C172 SP that X Plane 11 has stock and if I want to change altitude or my climb/decent speed, I do it with the good old pitch and power adjustments on the yoke. I am mostly just wanting to use this for instrument training to teach others how to shoot instrument approaches, (ILS, LNAV, LPV, VOR, LOC, VOR/DME, VOR/DME arcs, etc.) intercepting and tracking victor airways, holding procedures, procedure turns, pitch/power settings, and other elements pertaining to IFR flight.

I have the multipanel as well. I found it really easy to integrate into XP 11. It works with every aircraft I currently fly. As mentioned, it does seem a bit flimsy/cheap - but it is pretty cheap, so not a problem there. It is really just an autopilot panel, so not sure that it would be much use for a C172 and the like. The flap switch is ok, but I never use it as I have a switch on the yoke for that. The Pitch Trim wheel is useless and never use it.

I bought the multipanel as I fly the large airliners - and for that it is very useful to set HDG and ALT. These you have to do very quickly in response to ATC, and I found using the mouse scrollwheel on the 3D cockpit to be a real pain. Oft times you miss the hotspot and the cockpit zooms in. Plus you are taking your eyes off the road, so to speak. So very useful for airlines - not so much for the C172.

• Upvote 1

I7-6700k 32 gig RAM, NVIDIA GTX-980 TI 6G RAM, GTX-460, Saitek X55 throttle, Combat rudder pedals, CH Eclipse yoke,TrackIR 5, 5 monitors (main is 40" 4k), Corsair K95 RGB k/b, Win 7 x64. X-Plane XP 11.1+

Someone needs to mention here that Saitek products, now under the Logitech brand,  have become very scarce over the past two years.  Not sure what is going on with marketing and production......  They seem to be available for a couple of weeks, then out of stock for a couple of months.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere