Sign in to follow this  
hitter439

DVD purchase or Download

I will be purchasing X-Plane and would appreciate any comments as to whether it is best to order the DVD's or purchase the download version (I do have a pretty fast internet connection - 100mbps).  My query mostly pertains to whether it is necessary / desirable to maintain a "back-up" of the program and if so which format is the easiest / most preferable to do so.

Thank you very much.

I would buy (and have bought) the download. A Backup of X-Plane is as easy as copying the X-Plane folder to a backup drive, as it's completely self-contained. There is also no need to re-install X-Plane in case you have to restore the backup. It will just run as if nothing ever happened. Of course you will lose things that were added since the last backup, but you get the idea.

Restoring X-Plane (even moving the backup to a completely new machine) with all addons is as easy as copy&paste. Worst case is that you need to delete your preferences and set them again, and that you need to re-enter some serial numbers.

However, there's one advantage to the DVD version: It can run without an Internet connection, because it doesn't need to verify the serial number on every other startup. If you live in an area or country with an unstable Internet connection, you might want to take this into consideration. Otherwise it won't be an issue.

Perfect!  Thank you very much mgeiss!  My internet connection is pretty good so I will download X-Plane.  Very nice to read how easy it is to backup / restore the program.

Thank you again.