Sign in to follow this  
dmarques69

11.20 coming to final

Hmm, running a i5-4670K with 16gb RAM and a GTX 960/4GB.

I would imagine I can get pretty good performance from XP11 with these specs.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Murmur said:

If you start playing with Plane Maker, maybe you could also explore how to improve the weathervaning/ground handling issues, maybe starting from the gliders you have experience with. Have you studied the Bf109 to see how is it made?

I did a glider for XP9, but using a very interesting airfoil generator based on RW polar data, but I lost track of it.... It was a representation of the LS3a... 

But if I start playing with PM I'll surely try to find out as much a I can about it.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme disks, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

XPlane is the best civilian flight sim since the introduction of v11. The flight modeling is very good. The lighting and world environment is very immersive. Weather is acceptable, ATC is atrocious (for GA/VFR flyers particularly). There are no seasons. There are a number of exceptional payware aircraft, and the default scenery is pretty good, with numerous freeware airports that are very good. Ortho imagery with autogen can be stunning, but takes up a lot of hard drive space. 

There are problems with ground handling/crosswind modeling, particularly for tailwheel aircraft. Austin makes changes with each update that may render some of your addons unworkable until (and IF) the devs update their models. 

What's your clock speed?  I run at 4.3 ghz w 16 gb RAM and a 970, and with AA set low and reflections off, I get good frame rates over most scenery in most aircraft at 1440.  Like FSX/P3D, it demands very strong hardware. 

3 minutes ago, Griphos said:

ATC is atrocious

This is my main concern holding me back.

spacer.png

1 minute ago, Boomer said:

This is my main concern holding me back.

IMO, Change of seasons are even more atrocious.

3 hours ago, Boomer said:

Still on the fence about getting XP11...someone talk me into it ... ;-)

Helicopters. :biggrin:

Get it just for the helicopters, if you have the right controls for it, including pedals. Pretend you're a bush pilot so you don't often deal with ATC. 

Start with the free Bell 429 model at the .org (ignore the default S76, it's not very good) . The payware Dreamfoil 407 and X-Trident 412 are also excellent.

Edited by Paraffin
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Hmm rotary wing eh?  Curious, I'll check those bumble bees out.

spacer.png

46 minutes ago, Boomer said:

Hmm rotary wing eh?  Curious, I'll check those bumble bees out.

yep XP rotary is fantastic , as Paraffin said use the freeware Bell 429 they are absolute fun, and if you want payware later than Dreamfoil 407 and X-trident 412 superb.

I don't do airliners hence can't recommend any. But rotary the above ones should get you going. Even the clouds are pretty cool in XP11 now. 

Give it a go.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

There is really no excuse (except for the time required) to not try the free demo. Note that you can even try all the add-on aircraft with it!

http://www.x-plane.com/desktop/try-it/

The thing I like most about X-Plane is the way you can get involved, like the crowdsourcing of airports, for example. Another thing is the open way the devs communicate, it feels like an open project, with everyone adding input and ideas...just recently the devs put out the request to the community to voice off on what they think needs to be done to improve the ATC (yes, any change would be an improvement!).

https://developer.x-plane.com/2018/01/what-would-make-the-atc-system-better/

Cheers, Jan

Edited by Janov

6 hours ago, jymp said:

I agree, not everyone has the VR stuff,  X-Plane 11 needs Vulkan support, shorter loading times, better ATC for a start.

Well and not everyone cares about ATC, either. I fly only online, therefore I could not care less about artificial ATC.

Besides, if you have followed their blog posts, you would know that during the VR implementation, they already took significant steps in order to implement Vulkan. 

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

6 hours ago, jymp said:

I agree, not everyone has the VR stuff,  X-Plane 11 needs Vulkan support, shorter loading times, better ATC for a start.

Well and not everyone cares about ATC, either. I fly only online, therefore I could not care less about artificial ATC.

Besides, if you have followed their blog posts, you would know that during the VR implementation, they already took significant steps in order to implement Vulkan. 

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

I'd venture to guess the majority of xp users do not have VR.  Probably even the vast majority.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

5 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

I too fly on VATSIM but often offline is desired for flexibility and the ability to pause.  Then I want good AI traffic and good ATC.

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

I'd venture to guess the majority of xp users do not have VR.  Probably even the vast majority.

Notwithstanding LM, LR, Eagle Dynamics and IPACS have chosen to support VR in the last months. Surely there is a reason?

Personally, I have little doubt that VR will become more or less a standard for the prosumer sim market in the next years.

"In the next years"  hehe well I can't disagree with that.  Practical VR has a long way to go - maybe in three years it will be usable

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |