Sign in to follow this  
kiwiflyer45

Orbx KSAN San Diego performance?

I am tempted to buy the Orbx version of KSAN San Diego but I'm concerned about performance. With Orbx that is not normally an issue but given the dense urban area, I'm reluctant to spend the money, even at half price, and find I can't use it. I have a KSAN from another publisher and FPS and VAS is poor. Can anyone tell me how they have found the Orbx KSAN performing? I know hardware is a factor, which in my case is good but no longer top of the line, but any feedback would be appreciated. I would be running it with Orbx North American LC AND Southern California region

Thanks

Ian

I run it only with OpenLC North America and performance is perfect with FS Labs and PMDG stuff - is on par with most payware airports tbh.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kiwiflyer45 said:

I would be running it with Orbx North American LC AND Southern California region

I also have KSAN from Latin VFR and have resorted to disabling Orbx SoCal when I am using it and just keeping Open LC active as using all three together sailed too close to the wind particularly in terms of VAS usage. So I too was interested in how Orbx KSAN would perform in FSX with Orbx SoCal and a Open LC. Looking at the P3D forum however Orbx KSAN does seem to have some performance issues when combined with Open LC and SoCal which doesn't sound too promising for FSX! Any FSX users got all three running together?

Bill

• Upvote 1

Thanks so far guys. I think I'll hold off a little while to see if there are some more responses. The sale at Orbx has a few more days to go I think

1 hour ago, scianoir said:

I also have KSAN from Latin VFR and have resorted to disabling Orbx SoCal when I am using it and just keeping Open LC active as using all three together sailed too close to the wind particularly in terms of VAS usage. So I too was interested in how Orbx KSAN would perform in FSX with Orbx SoCal and a Open LC. Looking at the P3D forum however Orbx KSAN does seem to have some performance issues when combined with Open LC and SoCal which doesn't sound too promising for FSX! Any FSX users got all three running together?

Bill

That's interesting Bill. The only SoCal scenery that I have with poor performance is Santa Barbara. From the comments I've read, this is very common. I will try disabling the SoCal scenery and see if it makes a difference

I had concerns about Ksan but purchased it in the last sale. No problems for me performance wise with orbx SoCal and p3d 4.1.

It’s no worse than the default version supplied in orbx SoCal 

purchased it before christmas and no problem, running good for me. 

henry k

i’ve both Latinvfr KSAN P3V4 and Orbx KSAN.  With everything enabled for both airports, Latinvfr KSAN is 2x the FPS. 60 vs 30.

jimmy

I have LatinVFR KSAN for P3Dv4 but use Orbx KSAN with my Orbx SoCal scenery in FSX.  FPS were running between 25-35 and seemed to be very smooth.  Orbx Control Panel for KSAN has ways to remove some of the eye-candy and get better performance.  I have less cars at the airport so think I will ramp that up.  I also have 100% UT Live running.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Well I decided to go for it given the current sale price and also the fact that it will be usable in P3Dv4 without any additional cost if/when I make the move there. For now however I have tested it in FSX with Orbx OpenLC and SoCal active on my 'middle of the road' rig. 

For the test I flew the default Baron and using that there was a significant VAS hit on startup with FSUIPC indicating about 0.7GB remaining. Doing a fairly wide circuit over Mission Valley and the city the amount of free VAS decreased to the point where I was getting the dreaded chimes on approach although I managed to complete the flight without an actual OOM. I don't routinely measure FPS if FSX seems smooth but for test purposes I monitored it and it fluctuated between about 16 and 20 throughout the flight (less than what Jim was reporting but I suspect he has a much more powerful rig). 

The scenery however looks very good and, as would be expected, gels flawlessly with Orbx SoCal. The city and its surroundings are nicely modelled with many landmarks which I recognised having visited San Diego a few times. I really would like to keep Orbx KSAN on my system but I will need to play around with settings, etc a bit more before making a final decision on that because, as it stands at present, the VAS impact may make it unusable with many addon aircraft. I think much of this VAS hit may be related to SoCal but I'm not sure how well Orbx KSAN would look and function just using Open LC alone but I will explore that too. 

Overall in terms of performance, particular VAS usage, I see very little difference between Orbx KSAN and LatinVFR KSAN both of which, at least on my mid-range system, tend to struggle when combined with Orbx SoCal and OpenLC. I don't know if that makes your decision any easier Ian!

Bill

• Like 1

Bill, my experience has been the same as yours. I decided to go ahead and buy the Orbx version, although I still had some hesitation. But the time for the sale was running out and I took the gamble. Bad idea. Though I will continue to tweak it and there are some good suggestions here of ways I can improve the performance, the reality is that though the scenery is magnificent, it's just too dense for my older PC to handle. In the long run, I may not regret it as eventually I'm going to have to replace my PC and I may (repeat may) move on to P3D4, where it seems overall performance is far better than FSX-SE. But for now, San Diego may have to stay off my "go to" list... Shame, as it looks fantastic!

Edited by kiwiflyer45

Hi All,

I recently bought KSAN in the sale, which I was really looking forward to, having already got SoCal.

No matter what I did in the new B200, I could not get more than 11fps. Elsehwere in P3D v4 I can get 30-50. Using a default plane only gave me 2-3fps more.

This is very disappointing. Strangely it didn't seem to matter much what settings I put scenery and graphics down to, so it must be something else.

Even significantly lowering autogen, Cranes, Ships in KSAN, and powerlines and towers in SoCal, LOD radius etc parameters in the sim, saved virtually no frames.

My system is an i5 4960 @ 4.4GHz, GTX 1080, 16Gb of usable DDR3 RAM and 27 in monitor running 120Hz @ 2K (lowering it to 24Hz made no difference and felt awful) - so not the most up to date mid-range ish system, but can do pretty OK in most places.

Any ideas?

Ray

I wasn't too surprised at the performance issues I encountered as I am running FSX on a significantly less powerful system than yours Ray but I can understand how you would be disappointed as you have P3Dv4 on a pretty powerful system. It is interesting to note that even P3Dv4 running on a strong system can be brought to its knees by a combination of resource intensive scenery and a resource intensive aircraft.

Bill