Sign in to follow this  
pegruder

Flight Sim Labs A320 vs Flight Factor A320?

There's also, pretty much in the "mood" of BlackBox777, this other author on youtube, himself a RW airline pilot too.

Lot's if X-plane-based tutorials, including for the FF A320

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbCEFhavbOTLvNZkhEWoCaw/videos

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Just got an eMail from Navigraph that they added support for the FF A320, good news indeed.

Cheers, Rob.

On 11.3.2018 at 2:48 PM, pegruder said:

Have you had him give the FF version a go and see his thoughts?  Curious how he'd compare the two as well :)

Well, got him in the meantime to become curious enough to try the FF as well :).

After several flights and spending time with the systems, he was also really impressed by the systems implementation and their dependencies.

He was aware it is still Version 0.8, so not to focus on missing MCDU features like the ALTN fuel or the missing report page and so on.

What he was not impressed with was the sound and the flights itself, especially how the FMGS in connection with  airplane performance deals with the plane. He said, after hundreds of hours in the real plane you have a certain 'picture' in your head regarding what you see, what you hear, how the FMGS reacts, which numbers you see the entire flight and so on. Especially in the descent and approach phase, I saw him raising eyebrows a lot. Additionally when trying to manipulate the route, e.g. by inserting altitude constraints, he quickly managed to screw up the vertical profile in the FF twice. Also he put the FMGS into an maybe unrealistic test, by initiating the descend phase couple of miles after the TOD to check how the FMGS handles it. Again the FSL closer to real than the FF.

The final flight was, well, a bit unfair, using real weather. The real weather representation and how the FMGS deals with weather, in his opinion far more convincing in the FSL again. He did not want to spend 70$ for XEnviro or similar, so that is of course no surprise. Comparing XPlane default weather and Active Sky on the other end is sort of comparing apples with oranges.

The conclusion at this stage : If you want to replicate an A320 routine flight and get as close as possible to the audiovisual sensations a real pilot has, you have to go with FSL.  FF320 is not even close or not close yet. He mentioned FSL must have had A LOT of real pilots in the testing team focusing on fine details, while FF probably didn't.

There was no time to test and compare failures.

Well, so the FSL is a year or more ahead, interesting how the FF catches up during the year :)

Mike

Edited by mikealpha
Typo correction
  • Upvote 2

1. A320 home cockpit (FSLabs, Skalarki), P3Dv5  Main PC : I7-12700K, GTX3080Ti

2. FSLabs A3xx, P3Dv5. Gigabyte Aorus 17G YC, I7-10700K, RTX 3080

The textures in the FFA320 VC are much better than the FSLabs one. Performance in FSLabs has increased with the latest update. I still prefer FF version for the immersion. After going back to P3D, the overall ground textures seem very cartoonish compared to X-Plane and it takes away from the immersion factor.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

6 hours ago, Jude Bradley said:

The textures in the FFA320 VC are much better than the FSLabs one. Performance in FSLabs has increased with the latest update. I still prefer FF version for the immersion. After going back to P3D, the overall ground textures seem very cartoonish compared to X-Plane and it takes away from the immersion factor.

And the feel of inertia we get in the FF, as well as in the Toliss for that matter, and it's totally absent in the FSLabs which stops rolling and pitching instantly, and is abrupt in pretty much every aspect ...

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Since the beta of FFA320 came out last October, I've been flying literally nothing else - until yesterday when I took the IXEG out for a spin again. It's a testament to how good the FFA320 is.

• Like 1

Jude Bradley

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

@Jude, for me it's even more "airbusic" since I alternate between equal v-flight times in the Toliss and the FF...

I'm bused !

The Toliss is probably closer to the real thing in terms for instance of the speeds for takeoff. I find the speeds in the FF A320 strangely low ( ? ). Toliss also has already Holds, which are not implemented in the FF, and I really need that feature when on the last segment of my flight wife calls from the kitchen :)

But the the FF A320 is so "believable" inflight, and specially when landing under stronger shifting winds...

They're both a charm - both!

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 2

Main Simulation Rig:

Funny you should say that, my wife always says "That's enough now" when I'm on finals. Great timing! 

Jude Bradley

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 7:13 PM, jcomm said:

And the feel of inertia we get in the FF, as well as in the Toliss for that matter, and it's totally absent in the FSLabs which stops rolling and pitching instantly, and is abrupt in pretty much every aspect ...

Well,

actually just tried it again ( another monthly dev license of p3dv4 required ... ) and the latest ( March ) patch of the FSLabs is delivering an even smoother and overall better experience.

I'm now a two platform simmer again :-)

And, don't forget it guys! An A319 / 20 captain!

Main Simulation Rig:

After a break from simming, I just updated to P3Dv4.2, and the new updated FSL A320;  On my system performance is much improved, and the FSL is a super smooth joy to fly now!

• Like 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

15 minutes ago, JYW said:

After a break from simming, I just updated to P3Dv4.2, and the new updated FSL A320;  On my system performance is much improved, and the FSL is a super smooth joy to fly now!

same here :-) - actually smoother than either the Toliss or the FF in XP11, and in both sims I set autogen and trees to NILL, no shadows...

I'm Bused in two plaftorms now....

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Thx Ralf!

I used to use that one with the Aerosoft buses in FSX - this is a newer version though.

I also use the : http://wabpro.cz/A320/

Ralf are you referring to the FF or the Toliss ? Because I believe the Toliss has it's speeds very plausibly calculated, even considering rw and weather data for v1 calculations... The above online performance calculator even allows for takeoffs from intersections.

The FF A320 has it's speeds calculated correctly, for it's flight model, and that's the problem for me - they're too optimistic / rarther low compared to real data and other models, but the aircraft responds ok to them, so, you always end up taking off too soon and accelerate too fast...  Hope they will address it in the future.

Anyway, yesterday I upgraded Madeira to Aerosoft Madeira X Evo in P3Dv4, and operating the FSLabs from there into LPPT or the way around gives me a great alternative to the buses in XP11 :-)

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Hi,

Above posts make me wonder if you really fly the FFA320 correctly or maybe not setting up the flights correctly. Real pilots are used as beta-testers. Holds are present etc.etc.

I recommend watching the signature "Reflected Reality Simulations" flights in FFA320 on YouTube. He is a real pilot in a A320. And an excellent instructor. He shows every step he takes in an easy to follow way.

FWIW, FF A320 is still in beta.