Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

Balancing VC and 2D GTN screen brightness

@por930 it looks like you've got yourself a job LOL! I sincerely appreciate your help with this. We still have many things to get done before we can even start with this (G600 for example) but this is a good template I agree.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

I cannot explain why the slider in the Settings area is named Screen Brightness but instead controls Rheostat.Display.

On 2/21/2019 at 10:20 AM, RXP said:

Now taking the example of the Configuration Panel | Screen Brightness: try clicking the blue square to the left and see what the label changes to...?

I only recognized that previously as a slider and did not know about checking the box.  Where do I find a layman's explanation of what checking that box does as opposed to using the slider?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

10 minutes ago, BillS511 said:

If you are still confused, keep in mind:
[GTN_750_1.DEFAULT] This section in RealityXP.GTN.ini is only for the popup gauge settings.

[GTN_750_1.NO_BEZEL] This section is only for the virtual cockpit gauge settings.
You can copy and paste other items from the [GTN_750_1.DEFAULT] section to this section. Like popright =, tooltips =, etc.

How did you learn this?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

14 minutes ago, fppilot said:

How did you learn this?

I figured if you have to add the [GTN_750_1.NO_BEZEL] section to add settings for the VC gauge, then I assumed the [GTN_750_1.DEFAULT] section settings must be for the popup gauge.

Edited by BillS511

17 minutes ago, BillS511 said:

I figured if you have to add the [GTN_750_1.NO_BEZEL] section to add settings for the VC gauge, then I assumed the [GTN_750_1.DEFAULT] section settings must be for the popup gauge.

This depends on how you have defined the gauges in the panel.cfg file.

You can name the gauges any name you want, and supply a matching section in the ini file.

If you supply no name, the default section is used.

• Like 1

Bert

9 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

This depends on how you have defined the gauges in the panel.cfg file.

You can name the gauges any name you want, and supply a matching section in the ini file.

If you supply no name, the default section is used.

Exactly. Trying to keep it simple for new users. Since the gauge installer already adds NO_BEZEL to the VC gauge line there is no reason to open or edit the panel.cfg file.

Edited by BillS511

Sorry, you two are in a foursome ahead of my foursome, and there are a couple of foursomes in between!

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Thanks for the information in this thread.  It has partially solved the issue for me.  Now as how to adjust the brightness on those aircraft that have a Reality XP GTN installer but still have a very bright in panel GTN with a bezel and a  dim popup panel.

I would also ask the question to Reality XP as to why all of this is even necessary to begin with.  By that I am asking why the VC panel screen brightness is different from the Popup panel screen brightness?  Shouldn't they be set to be the same brightness to begin with?

16 minutes ago, jfwharton said:

I would also ask the question to Reality XP as to why all of this is even necessary to begin with.  By that I am asking why the VC panel screen brightness is different from the Popup panel screen brightness?  Shouldn't they be set to be the same brightness to begin with?

I think you have to ask this question of the aircraft creator/vendor :wink:

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

On 3/10/2018 at 7:32 PM, fppilot said:

Jean-Luc,
I was having a different issue.  I was having difficulty matching brightness levels between the 750 in the virtual cockpit and the associated 750 2D popup. There was a pronounced difference and when I would adjust one the other was equally affected.  The most pronounced brightness difference between the two was with the A2A C182.  Adding a value into my C182's [GTN_750_2.NO_BEZEL] section cured the issue.  I now have the VC and 2D brightness perfectly matched thanks to Bill.

Frank

For me the biggest difference was in the Golden Eagle. 

In the A2A Bonnie, it matches perfectly. Only noticed about the Golden Eagle screen difference in Prepar3d. Wasn't like that in FSX-SE. 

However, in FSX-SE I set up the default Baron with the Friendly Panels Aspen avionics and then I manually installed GTN 750 and tweaked the CFG to get everything right. There I did notice a brightness difference with the VC gauge being dim. 

I'm glad I saved my FSX-SE aircraft folder when I reinstalled windows. I would hate to have to recreate that panel.

• Like 1

Hello Everyone,

Just purchased GTN750 (migrating from Flight1) and having same issues as dealt with in this post.  However, as it has been 1-1/2 years since the last posting, I thought I would resurrect it in hopes of getting some help as it seems that trying to do the suggestion here is not going anywhere for me.  I am very well versed in editing/modifiying .ini and .cfg files and have done so for the Flight1 GTN with the expert help of Bert and Jorge.

To keep things simple I will take my issues one at a time as there may have been changes in the versions in the past 1-1/2 years.

Fresh install of RXP (latest version checked in the config window) and of course the Trainer.

Initial unit has very bright screen as described in  this post and looks like this:

2023-01-30-15-08-44b.jpg

I open up the config screen and change the display setting to what should be fairly dark like this:

spacer.png

And the brightness changes accordingly

spacer.png

However, when I reload the aircraft the brightness reverts back to the original brightness.  [note also the the .ini file now has two new lines:]

Rheostat.Display = 27
Rheostat.Buttons = 17

So first off, I should think that the changing the display brightness in the Configuration Screen would "keep".  It appears that reloading the aircraft ignores the two new lines in the .ini file.

Am I missing something here?  I have read the user manual very extensively but it is a bit hazy on this (such as what is a Rheostat Source Index?)

Thanks for your interest  and input.

P.S. no "no-bezel" I like having that and no 2D popout just yet until I can get this issue resolved.  Then I'll move on.

Edited by n116dh