Sign in to follow this  
wims80

Looking for FSX Tweaking guide

Good day,

I haven't flown sims in a couple of years and I have since upgraded to a new system. I can't remember exactly which parameters I needed to tweak to make FSX fly somewhat decent. I'm using the old FSX SP2 (non steam version) on an 8600k. Does anybody know of a guide that will sort me out?

Edited by wims80

vatsim s3

1133704.png

I like the guides right here on the front page under Hot Spots on the right side of the site.

Mike 

• Like 1

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)MOTHERBOARD 
AMD Ryzen 5 5900X CPU-LIQUID COOLED
AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
32GB RAM G-SKILL TRIDENT Z
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB

Yes, the guide found here at Avsim is very good.

• Like 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

15 hours ago, wims80 said:

I haven't flown sims in a couple of years and I have since upgraded to a new system. I can't remember exactly which parameters I needed to tweak to make FSX fly somewhat decent. I'm using the old FSX SP2 (non steam version) on an 8600k. Does anybody know of a guide that will sort me out?

There are lots of guides around but if you have a recent system (and it looks as if you do), my experience is that most of the tweaks are now redundant - they were generally to compensate for the inadequacies of old hardware. If you have the boxed edition of FSX, the only tweak you need to make is to include the following in the [Graphics] section of your fsx.cfg: HIGHMEMFIX=1

There are many other tweaks available but, having tried most, I've found that they either make no noticeable difference or, in some cases, make things worse. Even the ones which seem to improve performance generally have a consequence in some other area which may not be immediately apparent. I now use FSX:SE in the DX10 preview mode (with Steve's fixer) with no tweaks and it runs better than it ever has. My advice would be to try it and if it runs smoothly (ignore the FPS) then do nothing more! If you do still feel the need to tweak (and we've all been there), then make sure you just apply one at a time and give FSX a good test in between changes.

Edited by vortex681
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

On 10/03/2018 at 2:58 PM, vortex681 said:

There are lots of guides around but if you have a recent system (and it looks as if you do), my experience is that most of the tweaks are now redundant

At one stage, when I was new to FS9, I tweaked it almost to death and had so many tweaks that I suspect they were interfering with each other. In the end I had no option but to uninstall and reinstall a fresh FS9.

Before installing FSX however I read some advice to avoid tweaks if at all possible. This is what I have done and I have to say that this is probably the  single most useful piece of advice for anyone installing FSX.

Bill

• Like 1

Well, on my old rig i noticed an absolutely huge difference in performance once I had tweaked the sim properly. The difference was night and day really. But that was an i7 920. Its not exactly modern at this point ... not that FSX is a modern application either. For now I'm just using Highmemfix and a couple more 

vatsim s3

1133704.png

The tweaks seemed to work best on very old computers, like the Intel Core2Duo line of CPU's.  Some tweaks help with the Core2Quad.  When you get to the modern CPU's, the tweaks are of questionable benefit.  Tweaking FSX Steam is also highly questionable.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

On 13/03/2018 at 7:55 AM, wims80 said:

Well, on my old rig i noticed an absolutely huge difference in performance once I had tweaked the sim properly. The difference was night and day really. But that was an i7 920.

I used to have an i7-920 and I also found that I could get more out of FSX by tweaking it (quite a lot, in fact). But, as I said in an earlier post, that's the sort of older-tech system which really benefited from tweaking. The same tweaks did virtually nothing with my current system. If FSX runs smoothly without tweaks, do nothing more and just enjoy the sim - it's just not worth trying to get those last few FPS out of your system.

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit