Sign in to follow this  
DoTheCreep97

P3D v4 Stutter Issue

Hi guys,

So I recently bought P3D v4 and unfortunately I am having a problem with these so-called 'Micro Stutters'. I am running the sim with a constant FPS of 59 (Limited Using Nvidia Inspector). My monitors refresh rate is 60Hz. I am not using any forms of V-Sync. Here's my problem: 

When panning the view in the cockpit it is smooth except for the intermittent stutters that are occuring. There is no screen tearing, however these stutters are incredibly annoying. They are not that bad, the game is playable but it is not as smooth as it should be. I just want to be able to pan around the cockpit smoothly without these micro-stutters.

There are no other problems with the sim, I am really enjoying the performance improvement since I moved form FSX:SE. I simply don't understand why these stutters are occuring. I am using EzDok V2. 

I have tried fiddling with Nvidia Inspector by enable V-Sync, triple buffering etc. I have also messed around with the P3D V-Sync, FPS limiter and Triple buffering. I would really appreciate some help guys as this is really bothering me. I am just after investing €200 into this sim, just to be faced with this problem. Frustrating!

FTX Global

Open LC Europe 

FTX Ireland 

PMDG 737 NGX 

My rig: 

i5 4690k OC'd to 4.3 GHz

MSI GTX 970 4GB

MSI PC Mate MoBo

Corsair Vengeance RAM 2 x 4GB 

Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 x 128GB, 1 x 500GB

• Upvote 1

In my personal opinion P3D is prone to stutters, I have certainly had my fair share since switching over from FSX:SE where I didn't really know what a stutter was.

My most common stutter is 10-15 miles out when the airport loads in, this can be a little stutter or a big one if the sim is trying to load in multiple airports at the same time.

It might help if you post your scenery settings within P3D as well and be a little more specific about where the stutters occur and during what stage of flight.

Thomas Derbyshire

5 hours ago, DoTheCreep97 said:

Hi guys,

So I recently bought P3D v4 and unfortunately I am having a problem with these so-called 'Micro Stutters'. I am running the sim with a constant FPS of 59 (Limited Using Nvidia Inspector). My monitors refresh rate is 60Hz. I am not using any forms of V-Sync. Here's my problem: 

When panning the view in the cockpit it is smooth except for the intermittent stutters that are occuring. There is no screen tearing, however these stutters are incredibly annoying. They are not that bad, the game is playable but it is not as smooth as it should be. I just want to be able to pan around the cockpit smoothly without these micro-stutters.

There are no other problems with the sim, I am really enjoying the performance improvement since I moved form FSX:SE. I simply don't understand why these stutters are occuring. I am using EzDok V2. 

I have tried fiddling with Nvidia Inspector by enable V-Sync, triple buffering etc. I have also messed around with the P3D V-Sync, FPS limiter and Triple buffering. I would really appreciate some help guys as this is really bothering me. I am just after investing €200 into this sim, just to be faced with this problem. Frustrating!

FTX Global

Open LC Europe 

FTX Ireland 

PMDG 737 NGX 

My rig: 

i5 4690k OC'd to 4.3 GHz

MSI GTX 970 4GB

MSI PC Mate MoBo

Corsair Vengeance RAM 2 x 4GB 

Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 x 128GB, 1 x 500GB

In my humble opinion, that's an age old problem with this simulator engine.

For what it's worth here is my twopenneth.

I installed P3dv4.1 last year. The only time I had "fluid" smooth flight, with no stutters was when I first installed it and tested it out using the native P3d aircraft, flown over the native P3dv4 scenery, with no add ons whatsoever. I thought how great this was going to be, now I could install all my favourite add ons in 64 bit. I previously ran P3dv3, with Oom after Oom! So I thought the holy Grail had finally arrived?

I then began the installation of my add ons. Orbx (entire planet everything!). Active Sky 4, REX Soft Clouds, UT Live and a few top quality aircraft and a few top quality 3rd party airports. Pleased with the total lack of Oom's. My flights are over nicely rendered scenery, with nicely rendered weather.  I have relatively sharp scenery, no blurries.  The sim looks very nice indeed! Better than FSX, better than P3dv3.

However, I always see stutters! They are always there. Varying in frequency, varying in location, varying but very annoying! :blush:

I have experimented with every P3d setting. Sliders all left, sliders all right and every setting in between. Stutters always remain! My conclusion is that adding "add ons" to P3d places a load on the simulator engine and induces the dreaded "stutter".  This inevitably varies from system to system. P3d is not a game that has benchmarks. It's  a simulator that will never run the same way twice. Sometimes I see stutters over areas that previously we're smooth! 

I believe stutters occur when a bottleneck occurs between one or all of the following....GPU....CPU....SSD and RAM. However even with the latest kit (PCIE SSD, Coffee Lake etc) I doubt the holy Grail of super fluid flight can be achieved, when add ons are added!:biggrin: Perhaps if a simulator was made with all the add ons integrated and included, it may be stutter free?

My 2 year old system;

i7 4790 at 4.5 GHz. Water cooled.

GTX 1080 EVGA. Latest version (upgraded) with fancy cooling fans and fancy software!

32 GB RAM at 3000

3 SSD at 500 GB/sec (W7 pro on a 520 GB SSD, P3dv4.1 on 1 GB SSD, 520 GB SSD for storage)

WHD 32" monitor. 

Best regards.

Hi guys,

Thank you for your replies! I would just like to clarify one thing to make sure that we are all on the same page here. When I refer to stutters I am referring only to the stuttery movement of the camera when I pan around in the virtual cockpit. For example, if I were to leave the camera facing forward for the whole flight and not move it, I would have a smooth flight with no 'stutters' as with my current settings I am running the sim at a constant 60fps. I only encounter these microstutters when I pan the camera. Hopefully this clarifies my issue. I have a feeling that we may be talking about different things!

Try unlimited FPS and VSync on in the sim. Do not use NVI.

That eliminates the microstutters for me. I am running my monitor at 30 Hz though and I set the fps limit in the sim to 31 to avoid slow autogen and texture loading that I had with unlimited fps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DoTheCreep97 said:

Hi guys,

Thank you for your replies! I would just like to clarify one thing to make sure that we are all on the same page here. When I refer to stutters I am referring only to the stuttery movement of the camera when I pan around in the virtual cockpit. For example, if I were to leave the camera facing forward for the whole flight and not move it, I would have a smooth flight with no 'stutters' as with my current settings I am running the sim at a constant 60fps. I only encounter these microstutters when I pan the camera. Hopefully this clarifies my issue. I have a feeling that we may be talking about different things!

Edited by mpw8679
Wrong topic

Matt Wilson

8 hours ago, DoTheCreep97 said:

When I refer to stutters I am referring only to the stuttery movement of the camera when I pan around in the virtual cockpit.

I have the same VC camera stuttering problem when my FPS is lower than 60 (60 HZ monitor). If your FPS drops under the refresh rate of your monitor, camera panning will be jerky. The NGX is heavy on frames, so try a default P3D aircraft to see if you have the same problem.

The only solution I've found, is to use unlimited FPS, VSync & Triple buffering enabled, and adjusting P3D settings to maintain FPS above 60. A 30 Hz capable monitor is the next solution, because it's easier to maintain FPS above 30 than 60.

Mike

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mikelab6 said:

The only solution I've found, is to use unlimited FPS, VSync & Triple buffering enabled, and adjusting P3D settings to maintain FPS above 60. A 30 Hz capable monitor is the next solution, because it's easier to maintain FPS above 30 than 60.

Mike

That's exactly my finding. I use a 30 Hz monitor and the simulator is fluent most of the time, i.e. as long as I can keep 30 fps (granted, that's with high settings). Unfortunately, I can't keep even these 30 fps overall, notably not at large Hubs with a lot of traffic and dense autogen around (think of FSDT KLAX + ORBX SCA), and that's where the fun stops. Next, you can try which slider to draw back and how many notches etc. to get the darn thing fluent. Or just live with the microstutters.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11