Sign in to follow this  
sfgiants13

Too Dark at Night

I don't recall having this issue before.  I recently upgraded to 4.2 and also turned off tertiary roads at the same time for vector.  Everything else has remained the same since V4.  It's as if the autogen isn't lighting property.  Here's what it looks like flying out of the middle of Los Angeles.  

Untitled.jpg

Any thoughts on how to get cities brighter at night?  I run ORBX base, vector, and landclass.

Edited by sfgiants13

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

@sfgiants13 can you see anything in your cockpit?

If it's also too dark inside the cockpit then I assume you have a monitor issue (try to switch the refresh rate of your monitor down a notch then back again e.g if you run 60Hz, switch to 59 then back to 60).

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

That was an exterior view. I tried to show as much as I could. I did get a warning about switching from one pmdg plane to another and how that could cause issues. I wonder if that would have anything to do with it.

edit: NVM I'm a moron.  I thought I had disabled Activesky but it was still running so there was a cloud layer below me.  All is well.

Edited by sfgiants13

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

On this topic, one of the things that surprised me when I went from a 980Ti to 1080Tix2 SLI and set terrain exp to 10 was the night scene below.  Whereas before I couldn't any ground lights above FL180 or so, now there are lights below as far as the eye can see for as high as I can fly.  Having >8GB VRAM has a pleasant benefit.

Dan Downs KCRP

SLI uses the memory of one card only, so no more mem then 8 GB used 😉

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

If you are a PTA user, there is a setting for night lighting where you can brighten it to your liking.  If not, maybe try your HDR settings.  Unfortunately, using only HDR to solve it will require settings for both day and night. 

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

4 hours ago, JoeFackel said:

SLI uses the memory of one card only, so no more mem then 8 GB used 😉

Except that a 1080Ti has 11 GB :)  unless I'm really missing something.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

That's a good problem to have, I have been trying to have that dark of night in my flight sim since the beginning. 

8 hours ago, Mace said:

Except that a 1080Ti has 11 GB :)  unless I'm really missing something.

Haha, point for you ;-)

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

In many cases brightness problems of any kind of objects in Prepar3D are caused by the set of sky textures that is currently used.

Be aware that these sky textures doesn´t only include information about sky colouring. They do have pixels that define color and/or brightness of sunlight/moonlight, haze, clouds, shadow and fog for day and nighttime.
Simply try to switch your sky texture set if you use any of these texture tools like REX, ASCA or ENVTEX. If not you can try to get one of these freeware sets. There are a lot of good and free sky texture sets around in the internet.

Edited by Schlotterknie