Sign in to follow this  
crippy1

DST in P3D

Hi, Fairly annoying issue for me. I am in Central time United States. -5 Zulu. So at 8ish AM I am at 13:--Z IRL, while in the sim, if I use 8AM/System time it sets the time to 14:--Z. Kind of annoying especially to see the sun when it hasn't risen yet. Also last night the sun had already set when I loaded in the sim. Sure I could set it back an hour each time, but then the aircraft clock is 1 hour behind, and I believe Active sky doesn't like that either but I'm not sure.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Does London jump forward at all? This would solve my problems I believe.

EDIT: looks like London jumps forward on March 25th. In Theory this should solve my problems? If I am sitting at 8AM/13Z and the sim is reading 14Z, when London jumps forward 8AM would become 14Z as it should be? Meaning the sky will be "darker" like it should be at the IRL 8AM?

If that is correct, boy if either the U.S. or U.K. ditch DST system then there would be issues with P3D even more, and I imagine real world too.

Edited by crippy1

1 hour ago, DaveS said:

I was having same issue but then came across this https://simelite.com/timeZoneFixer.php

Only $9USD and solved the issue for me

+1

2 hours ago, crippy1 said:

Hi, Fairly annoying issue for me. I am in Central time United States. -5 Zulu. So at 8ish AM I am at 13:--Z IRL, while in the sim, if I use 8AM/System time it sets the time to 14:--Z. Kind of annoying especially to see the sun when it hasn't risen yet. Also last night the sun had already set when I loaded in the sim. Sure I could set it back an hour each time, but then the aircraft clock is 1 hour behind, and I believe Active sky doesn't like that either but I'm not sure.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Does London jump forward at all? This would solve my problems I believe.

EDIT: looks like London jumps forward on March 25th. In Theory this should solve my problems? If I am sitting at 8AM/13Z and the sim is reading 14Z, when London jumps forward 8AM would become 14Z as it should be? Meaning the sky will be "darker" like it should be at the IRL 8AM?

If that is correct, boy if either the U.S. or U.K. ditch DST system then there would be issues with P3D even more, and I imagine real world too.

SimElite Solutions Time Zone Fixer also provides consistent updates.
The latest update for example: - 2018-02-14 Version 1.2.0 released:
 In this version, DST(Daylight Saving Time) adjustment for 2018 has been done and you can expect to have real start and end DST for whole world airports in your flight simulator.

Edited by bills511

5 hours ago, crippy1 said:

Hi, Fairly annoying issue for me. I am in Central time United States. -5 Zulu.

Er, Central time is -6 Zulu. Eastern time is -5 Zulu.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

22 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Er, Central time is -6 Zulu. Eastern time is -5 Zulu.

Not since last Sunday. Now it's -5 and -4 respectively because of Daylight Savings Time. Google tells me it's now 20:20 PM Zulu, local time here is 16:20 PM, and I'm in Florida.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

25 minutes ago, bills511 said:

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." Albert Einstein

https://time.is/

According to that site, my computer's time is 0.9 seconds behind! Oh no, I out of synch! :ohmy:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

51 minutes ago, n4gix said:

According to that site, my computer's time is 0.9 seconds behind! Oh no, I out of synch! :ohmy:

Don't worry, I've just found we are both synchronized! :laugh:

Don't have P3D, so unless they have made some changes in general if you set UCT to correct time, the world will look correct, though the local time shown may be off.  To get correct local time you need scenery files to depict the time zone boundaries and also temporal variations (DST), otherwise you get the default longitude-based timezones which were incorrectly assigned by MS.

Unfortunately, the scenery sdk only allows you to create rectangular lat/long-aligned regions to apply specific time-zone definitions to.  So to create a real-world timezone boundary you have a variation of fthe "packing problem" -- how to create a minimum set of rectangles to represent an arbitrary shaped region with a specified maximum error (and also you need to have adjoining timezones match with "holes" or you get strange jumps in local time as you cross the boundaries).  I could never find an algorithm to do this so it was all "by hand".  Then, there was a bug that the sdk provided for "priority levels" for the timezone rectangles so you could in theory overlay rectangles to fine-tune the coverage, but I found that the priority levels weren't consistently applied in the sim and I could never figure out when they would or wouldn't work.   Makes it hard to manage areas like the north border towns of Mexico that follow US DST, while the rest of Mexico follows Central America.

Then of course if you set your year back you would need to have the appropriate timezone as in effect in that year.  The master "Olson" timezone database can be used as a reliable reference and it would be better if the sim simply referenced it rather than creating its own.

scott s.

Hey, thank you all very much for suggesting that add-on. I was annoyed at first by having to buy "another add-on" but I was very pleased with the more than reasonable price, and very simple files and structures included with the add-on. I love the developers website and am impressed with the continued updates! I will eventually get on the developers forums to thank him / them!

This has fixed my issue of being one hour ahead or more, with the UTC/Local/skybox dependency.

IRL Sunsets here around 7:30. I loaded up a "sunset" flight at 6:30 yesterday and it was pitch dark :\ Loaded up tonight at 6:30 and it was PERFECT! Exactly like outside my window!

Here are some screens :) {if I can get them to work}

a0ilxeR.jpg

ZdINRuo.jpg

BTAw4ZR.jpg

Edited by crippy1
  • Upvote 1