Sign in to follow this  
Royann

FMC programing Airbus A318/9

Help

Can anybody tell me where I can get pinted instructions on how to set up the FMC in my A318/9s without using UTube I would like a hard copy so I can print it out and follow it at my own pace. I'm looking to do a simple flight from EGMC to EGJJ to start with.

I have printed the manual but have not found it much help

Regards

Royann 

Royann,

As a general principle, any amber boxes are mandatory.

The mnemonic you need for the order in which the MCDU should be programmed is DIFSRIPP:

Data (check the navdata cycle, a/c type, engines etc are current on the DATA -> A/C STATUS page)
INIT A - fill out the dep/dest, cruise level, cost index etc.
F-PLN - enter the route, select the departure runway and SID, and for a short sector like yours I would also select the most likely arrival runway and STAR to save time in-flight
SEC F-PLN - copy the active, set up any engine out procedures and/or set up for an immediate return/diversion etc
RAD NAV - set up any radio aids required for the departure
INIT B - enter ZFW/CG and block fuel. Check the weights calculated tally with your paper flight plan/loadsheet etc.
PROG - check the cruise level against the calculated OPT and REC MAX
PERF - enter V speeds, flex temp, flap setting etc.

Working in this order means that you get the route in before you start putting the weights and performance data in. This is a good thing because in real life the FMGC runs on 80s technology, so if you put the weights in first it will be trying to recalculate all the predictions every time you modify/enter a new route leg on the F-PLN page, which makes it very slow.