Sign in to follow this  
DannyR

GTN 750 Plan: ....must have a valid airport......

I am using the Reality XP GTN 750.  I am trying to export a plan to work with the GTN 750.  When I select the export function I get the following message:

"Flight Plan must have a valid airport as start and destination and will not be usable by the Simulator."

The flight plan I am trying to export starts at CYQH, Watson Lake and the destination is a user waypoint.  

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Danny

Danny

Hi Danny,
In a reply in the topic concerning the number of maximum user waypoints I referenced a Garmin document to search for.  That  "Guideline for GTN Flight Plan and User Waypoint Files " contains in depth description of the flight plan format required by the GTN - for import!  It appears the flight plan must include an "AA" (arrival airport).  It also explains the use of User Waypoints in flight plans.

What I suggest is that you locate and use as your destination an airport in the database that is nearest your User Waypoint destination, then once successfully exported from Little Navmap and successfully imported into the GTN, in the edit function in the GTN, delete that airport from the end of the flight plan, leaving your User Waypoint then as the final fix.

There are some other considerations you may run into with the GTN (and also GNS) flight plan import process.  One in particular is an issue regarding waypoint names that are duplicated in the worldwide database.  For example, if there is a waypoint named CHIKN near St Louis, Missouri, USA, and another waypoint with the same name CHIKN in say India, the flight plan import will not distinguish between the two and will lock the flight plan in memory until it is edited (in the GTN) to remove the waypoint. 

That waypoint can then be added back into the flight plan in the GTN by editing the flight plan, with the user then able to select which of the two CHIKN waypoints in the database is the one to use.

Frank P

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Hi Danny,

regarding LNM: This is just a warning. You can still save the plan by pressing "Save" in the warning dialog.

Not sure how the GTN can handle that. Therefore, I'd use a nearby existing airport as Frank suggested.

Hi Frank,

1 hour ago, fppilot said:

There are some other considerations you may run into with the GTN (and also GNS) flight plan import process.  One in particular is an issue regarding waypoint names that are duplicated in the worldwide database.  For example, if there is a waypoint named CHIKN near St Louis, Missouri, USA, and another waypoint with the same name CHIKN in say India, the flight plan import will not distinguish between the two and will lock the flight plan in memory until it is edited (in the GTN) to remove the waypoint. 

LNM saves the coordinates together with each waypoint in the file for the RXP GTN. This should help the Garmin unit to find the right one of the duplicates according to the GTN documentation.

Alex

• Upvote 1

Frank and Alex:  Thanks for the information.  I did try the assignment of a nearby airport, export, and remove airport.  The method did allow me to use the GTN 750 with the modified flight plan.  

Regards,

Danny

Danny