Sign in to follow this  
tamba765

"Shimmering" of ground lights and water

If you have a virgin simulator do you guys see these problems? In my case a little bit but after installing ORBX stuff it gets waaaaaay worse. I'm not picking on ORBX, I have a lot of their products and it is easy to pick out. I suspect  somewher that it doesn't adhere to the SDK but is good enough for both FSX and P3D....just my opinion.

I have also tried the ORBX tool that lets you increase the size of lights etc but don't like seeing balloons for city lights. The heart of the issue I think is what happens to that pinpoint of light when it gets down to 1 or 4 pixels in size, that's where the flicker is.

Edited by Slayer
  • Like 1

In my original post, I forgot to mention similar effects during the day. For instance, when flying into any airport that has addon scenery, such as Flight Beam, I see pronounced flickering or shimmering when several miles away. As I get closer, it's not as noticeable, but I notice wavy lines in the runway markings when taxing.

Pete Locascio

That is exactly what I see it’s really off putting and makes me want to never fly at night, hurts my eyes.

High SSAA setting, x4 or higher will fix it but this comes at considerable performance cost with dynamic lights.  You can turn dynamic lighting off in the sim but then your PMDG aircraft lights don't illuminate the ground so your blind around the airport.

I have also found it’s linked to your zoom level, I use ezdok and most of my cameras are set to 0.70 zoom level.  In your video if you zoom in to say 1.00 or higher whilst looking at the lights on the horizon the shimmering will stop.

so you can set your cameras in the VC to 1.00 or more but this upsets the field of view and for me personally I can't use it.

One thing I do know is it’s really annoying, whether it’s an ORBX issue or LM issue I don’t know.

Thomas Derbyshire

Turn your autogen distance down to medium.

17 hours ago, n99wb said:

Turn your autogen distance down to medium.

This is about night lights flickering/shimmering...

Thomas Derbyshire

3 hours ago, sidfadc said:

This is about night lights flickering/shimmering...

ORBX builds night lighting into the trees.  Hence the autogen reference.  Reducing the distance may or may not alleviate flickering, but it will certainly reduce your view of distant night lighting.  This is why ORBX night lighting doesnt carry very far in the distance.  If you look during the day, odds are the trees shimmer too.  I have not found a solution to this myself.

On 3/14/2018 at 4:01 PM, Matthew James de Bohun said:

Shimmering

As I've already said I've tried just about everything you can Google and can't get rid of it!

Hi,
to reduce the shimmering a little bit more is to set within the Nvidia Graphic Card the "Negativ LOD-Bias" to CLAMP

It works for me...

Regards Raller

Edited by Raller

Win 10 Pro | P3Dv4.5 | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | I5-9600K @ 4.8GHz | RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB RAM | SSD | T.16000M

47 minutes ago, Raller said:

Hi,
to reduce the shimmering a little bit more is to set within the Nvidia Graphic Card the "Negativ LOD-Bias" to CLAMP

It works for me...

Regards Raller

In NVI? 

Eric 

No, in the "normal desktop right click nvidia control panel" under
Manage 3D settings -> Program settings -> Prepar 3D -> Texture filtering Negative LOD bias = Clamp

But don't expect to much. For me it reduced the shimmering a little bit...

Edited by Raller

Win 10 Pro | P3Dv4.5 | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | I5-9600K @ 4.8GHz | RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB RAM | SSD | T.16000M