Sign in to follow this  
topcat_1952

Diverse Pilots in FlightSim Aircraft

Something I have wondered about for months and interested to know if others have discussed: Just about every aircraft released for the various flight simulators (Prepar3D, FSX, etc) seem to include pilots and even co-pilots that are observable in exterior views. I've noticed that just about every one of the figures is modeled as a Caucasian male. Even Carenado (which, I believe is located in South America) seems to feature white guys. Personally, I don't have a big problem with since I am a white guy and its not hard for me to imagine myself flying the plane. However, with all the realism that goes into the design and production of these aircraft, surely modeling the diversity of all the pilots in the real world should not be that difficult and would contribute to the personalization of the hobby. With more and more features added to each latest release, why do the publishers not provide an opportunity to chose the pilot (and co-pilot) character's race and gender? Assuming that flight simmers are not all white guys, I think I might be irritated if I was, say a black female or Asian male and could not have the pilot in the exterior views at least somewhat resemble me. With the improved and increasing number of options available with the aircraft (including ability to do re-paints) it seems it would not be that hard to have options available for the pilot and co-pilot figures. 

Anyone else have thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I care about how the airplane looks and flies. Don't really care if there is a purple Predator looking creature driving the thing. I say this as a male caucasoid.getting ready to drink some green beer this week so might not be the diversity you are looking for. 

But I suspect that will come soon...and I am not saying that is a bad thing. 

I like the fact the developer simulated a pilot and co-pilot in their respective aircraft.  I do not think color or ethnic background had anything to do with their selections.  If a developer thinks selling his product with Hispanic, European, Asian, or American pilots will increase sales, I'm sure he/she will make that happen.  There are some products where you can change the appearance of the pilot and perhaps put your face in the seat of the pilot.  I think many of our members probably do that and would continue to do that no matter the race or color.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

These are the pilots of a freeware Delta/Northwest 747 that I have.

pilots.JPG

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

On 3/13/2018 at 5:52 PM, Jim Young said:

I like the fact the developer simulated a pilot and co-pilot in their respective aircraft.  I do not think color or ethnic background had anything to do with their selections.  If a developer thinks selling his product with Hispanic, European, Asian, or American pilots will increase sales, I'm sure he/she will make that happen.  There are some products where you can change the appearance of the pilot and perhaps put your face in the seat of the pilot.  I think many of our members probably do that and would continue to do that no matter the race or color.

If I used my face I would surly have a crash to desktop. GPU wouldn't be able to take it.😶

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Vic green

I was thinking the same thing the other day (we must be on the same wave-length).  I was thinking, I hope Vic Green doesn't replace one of the default faces with his or I'll have to update the AVSIM CTD Guide under "Known Causes for Crashes/Freezes".  :biggrin:

Best regards,

Jim

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

As someone in that "diverse" group, it's something you just have to live with. Where I work now, I have see more black and hispanic male pilots, with almost no people of asian decent. I'm also seeing an uptick in caucasian females and one black female. In that regard, we can say that there is a real world lack of diversity so it's more realistic to show two white males. It would be interesting to put your face on the virtual pilots (like charliearon above) and I think all of us would be interested in that (not just people in the "diverse" category like myself). That said, while I'm sure in the future people can change how the virtual pilot looks, right now I'd be happy if we had the option to remove the pilots as it breaks immersion a tiny bit (for me). Nothing to cry about, but still...

A bit off topic:

In reference to the "live with it" comment, I enjoy fantasy films. When I watch Lord of the RIngs/The Hobbit, all the people pretty much look the same. Watching Breaking Bad (which I loved), they had one Mexican actor I believe. The point is, for now and in the past, in the US, if you want to see some of the best entertainment, you have to be OK with knowing that most of the actors won't look like a person in the "diverse" group.

Perhaps even worse though, is changing a character from its original race/gender to another race/gender  in an effort to say, "We got one (insert race/gender) in! We totally love you!". That's highly annoying. 

• Like 1

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

On 3/16/2018 at 9:56 AM, SKEWR said:

It would be interesting to put your face on the virtual pilots (like charliearon above)

Uhh......I verified this morning by looking in the mirror.  That isn't my face on those guys!  They are the only two I found that weren't of the Caucasian  Persuasion.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Just out of interest, I took a look at the pilots of some of the default FSX aircraft. Most, but not all, are caucasian and most, but not all, are male. The other thing, which I hadn't noticed before, is that, when turning during taxiing, the captain's head also turns in that direction.

Dugald Walker