Sign in to follow this  
bstikkel

Saving main and undocked windows: possible ?

Hello Lorby_SI,

I have a sim cockpit in which I use five monitors to create the view out of the cockpit. I use one window per monitor, one main FSX-window and four undocked windows next to it, because the monitors are physical not all at the same height, . Untill now, I can only save this window configuration for a particular airplane by saving a flight with the aircraft in it.
As soon as I load a different plane, all five windows show the same default (virtual) cockpit view. So for every plane I want to use, I have to set the cameraviews per window manually and then save it in a flight file.

In one of the older forum items I read, Camera Position X can save the set camerapositions in the aircraft.cfg. Is that correct?
And can Camera Position X also store the cameraposition settings from the main window ánd four undocked windows?

Thanks for your reply,
Kind regards!
Bram Stikkel

In this forum topic, I read, Camera Position X is able to save cameradefenitions in and aircraft.cfg.

Hi,

Sorry, but Camera Position X can't help you there.

Window positions are only saved with flights - as you found out. There are no configuration parameters for this in the camera definitions (those only describe the content, not the window itself that is showing the content - or its position). Not even the panel configuration allows this, you can only set rather coarse position parameters like (top left, center, lower right,...)

The usual procedure is to set up your multi screen cockpit once for each aircraft that you fly and save a flight to disk for each model. If anything, then WAMA could be of some help, as it handles the saving and reloading part more conveniently. 

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Have a look here.   Make sure you undock your windows before loading saved positions.

Matt Webb

Thanks Lorby_SI and Matt Webb, for both your replies.
It will have to continue the 'save to flight' methode, indeed then.

And Matt, thanks for the tip about the windowposition set utility. I do use that, indeed. It does remember and set your window size and position. That's of great help also, indeed.
But is does not remember the camerapositions in the windows.

Well, let's be glad with what is possible and who knows, sometimes someone creates the tool I was hoping for :-)

Kind regards!
Bram

Hi,

with P3D V4 SimConnect there would be a solution for a tool like that, but IMO not in FSX. In the old sims the saved flights are all that you have. Which is why I suggested WAMA. It remembers where and in what state you left (all) your aircraft, and should rebuild your window arrangement too when you select an aircraft through WAMA.

Best regards

LORBY-SI

Hello Lorby_SI,

Thanks for your post of March 15, 
Sorry for not responding that quick. I do get distracted by daily life, sometimes ;-).
Could you please help me remember what is again WAMA?
Thanks for trying to help me with the issue.

Greetings!
Bram

[snip]

Edited by Lorby_SI
Sorry, but posting links to external shops is not allowed on AVSIM.

On ‎23‎.‎03‎.‎2018 at 1:45 PM, bstikkel said:

Hello Lorby_SI,

Thanks for your post of March 15, 
Sorry for not responding that quick. I do get distracted by daily life, sometimes ;-).
Could you please help me remember what is again WAMA?
Thanks for trying to help me with the issue.

Greetings!
Bram

Hi,

WAMA will save and load your aircraft for you either manually or automatically. If window positions and content are indeed saved with a flight, then this would happen without you having to think about it. And a few other bits and pieces.

The user manual for WAMA is availabe for download on the Lorby-SI website, so you can check out the feature set. The manual for CameraPosition X is available there too.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI