Sign in to follow this  
SoloPilot

Daylight Savings Time Not Updated

2 hours ago, SoloPilot said:

That didn’t work. It’s still not in DST mode. 

I'm curious,  What exactly are you looking at that tells you that you are not on DST or not seeing the correct time in your Sim.  I just looked at mine and saw the flight screen saying the exact same time as my computer.  I started the flight and the clock in the aircraft was within 5 minutes of my computer's time.

What are you looking at to confirm DST mode?

UPDATE:  I think my peabrain is starting to understand what you are saying.  It's not that the clocks are wrong it's just the fact it's still getting dark earlier instead of later!  It's all about when it gets either dark out or light out.:blink:

ramjett in post#4 was correct about the dates when FSX changes to DST. It's built into the system.

I saw something in a 2012 post about if you have the FSX SDK you can change that.

If it really bugs you, there is always that payware product that takes care of this.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

18 hours ago, charliearon said:

I'm curious,  What exactly are you looking at that tells you that you are not on DST or not seeing the correct time in your Sim.  I just looked at mine and saw the flight screen saying the exact same time as my computer.  I started the flight and the clock in the aircraft was within 5 minutes of my computer's time.

What are you looking at to confirm DST mode?

UPDATE:  I think my peabrain is starting to understand what you are saying.  It's not that the clocks are wrong it's just the fact it's still getting dark earlier instead of later!  It's all about when it gets either dark out or light out.:blink:

ramjett in post#4 was correct about the dates when FSX changes to DST. It's built into the system.

I saw something in a 2012 post about if you have the FSX SDK you can change that.

If it really bugs you, there is always that payware product that takes care of this.

It is really quite simple.

Lets take Tampa, Fl as an example.

Normal time in the winter is GMT/UTC -5 hrs.

DST is GMT/UTC -4.

Example:

GMT/UTC 1200 in winter is 0700 local time in Tampa. 5 hrs between GMT and Tampa.

GMT/UTC 1200 with DST is 0800 local time in Tampa. 4 hrs between GMT and Tampa.

Which again means, that at the moment you change from normal time to DST in the spring, the sun will still rise and set at the same time GMT, but will rise 1 hr later Lt (local time)

and set 1 hr later Lt as well.

And I think this is what Matthew  wants to see reflected in the simulator, with the right dates for beginning and end of the DST.

• Upvote 1

@soerennielsen

I agree 100%.  It took a glass and half of wine yesterday for me to finally come to the same conclusion.  I kept thinking he wasn't seeing the correct time in the Sim or aircraft clocks.  Doing a Google search led to some threads posted about this very thing.  Most stared off with my train of thought about setting the Sim to system time but it eventually came around to an adjustment inside the Sim itself.  I see the only solution is to use a program such as you linked to.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

2 hours ago, charliearon said:

@soerennielsen

I agree 100%.  It took a glass and half of wine yesterday for me to finally come to the same conclusion.  I kept thinking he wasn't seeing the correct time in the Sim or aircraft clocks.  Doing a Google search led to some threads posted about this very thing.  Most stared off with my train of thought about setting the Sim to system time but it eventually came around to an adjustment inside the Sim itself.  I see the only solution is to use a program such as you linked to.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing. I'm using the GMT vs Local Time and judging DST off of that. I guess I'll have to get that program to fix it.

I've posted this in the past, but I like to think of the sim as having two phases: setup and run.  In the setup phase the sim determines UTC (GMT) by using your settings and default flight to convert a "local" time into the corresponding UTC.  If the conversion results in a "wrong" UTC (for example, you want UTC to be "real world", then adjusting the time in your flight setup is needed.  If you want it to happen "automagically" you need to select a default flight that has the needed difference between actual local time and UTC.

Once setup phase is complete and the sim starts running, UTC is used to determine local time based on scenery files.  Those files just correct the local clock.  The astronomical events (such as sunrise / azimuth) are always correct for UTC.

scott s.