Sign in to follow this  
mazelda

Hyperthreading yea or nay?

Just wondered if enabling hyperthreading is worth doing in either p3d or xplane. 

With all the added heat  and stress to the cpu does it give me anything extra.

Pete Little

Same old question same old answer, every system behaves different, you need to test on yours, on mine, yes, in both!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

Every System is different and results may very.  I find it better with it off, as I can OverClock my CPU to 5 Ghz.

With Hyperthreading turned ON, My Overclock is unstable at 5 Ghz. 

So for me, I get better results with my sim with Hyperthreading OFF, OC to 5Ghz then with  Hyperthreading turned ON, and a lower OC of 4.7 Ghz. 

P3Dv4.2.  takes more advantage of multi core cpu's, If you are using FSX or FSX SE. I don't think Hyperthreading makes any real difference, as those sims mainly use one Core and doesn't really use multi core, let alone, Hyperthreading. 

As for Xplane, I don't know. 

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

4 hours ago, dmarques69 said:

Same old question same old answer, every system behaves different, you need to test on yours, on mine, yes, in both!

A critical variable regarding HT is any add-ons used with the simulator.  Ideally, we'd like to keep add-ons away from processors used by the simulator (which is where an Affinity Mask come in).

5 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

For P3Dv4... yes.

+1

Like others I can't speak to XP, but P3Dv4+ can certainly make use of Hyper Threading.  The more processors for loading terrain the happier P3Dv4 is.

Greg

5 hours ago, mazelda said:

Just wondered if enabling hyperthreading is worth doing in either p3d or xplane. 

With all the added heat  and stress to the cpu does it give me anything extra.

In theory, with HT disabled you should get higher overclock. With HT enabled, maybe a better scenery loading. I have mine disabled. Just test it

I never used HT in Prepar3d1-3 as performance was always better with HT off (and there were less blurries), and I tried it from time to time.

This has changed though in Prepar3d4, on my system (and on a new machine, I should admit, but the previous was 4+4 cores as well). Not only does HT on give less stuttering/a smoother running but also the gross processor usage ist better by something like 10 %. I've got the feeling Prepar3d4 is grateful for any additional core it can use for texture loading.

I should say, I never overclocked my systems, though. But I have outsourced as much as possible of the external flightsim-related programs (even Saitek controls/panels via SPAD.neXT) to a networked machine.

I don't use any AM, but process priority of Prepar3d.exe ist set to high (I found this helpful for fihting blurries years ago already).

Just my observation on my system(s), of course

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I'm curious about new gen intel CPU's(coffee lake)which are 6 cores, i belive HT off in this case, and 8700K have some better OC results vs 8600K

HT off.

It keeps my overclocked 7900x at lower temps (higher clock is more important) but also many people report better FSLabs A320 behavior with HT off.

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD

I think its depending witch cpu you run , 4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18cores from 10cores and up no really need for HT on.

I was running my old 7700k with HT on at 5.1ghz think its was better then 5.3ghz HT off the loadtimes was way to long.

8600k work really good at 5.0ghz stronger then a 7700k with HT on.

have 2 P3D PCs now both with 2X1080TI SLI one for 4K 30hz its a I9 7980XE at 5.0ghz.

the second is for 2560x1440 60hz 8700K HT off for less heat and higher clock run at 5.5ghz ( can run it with ht on at 5.3-5,4ghz ht on)

1 hour ago, Vali said:

people report better FSLabs A320 behavior with HT off.

Yup...that was strange on my rig also. I never turned HT off but with the FSL I had massive stutters right after loading the plane. Changing views with CP was a slideshow.... I disabled HT and all was back to normal :ohmy:. Have this only with the BUS.

54 minutes ago, westman said:

have 2 P3D PCs now both with 2X1080TI SLI

Whuuut...4x 1080Ti :blink:...geeez I went back in my bed to cry thinking about my only 970....

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

I have HT on I found it better for scenery and I have a lot of scenery and airports.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

1 hour ago, GEKtheReaper said:

Whuuut...4x 1080Ti :blink:...geeez I went back in my bed to cry thinking about my only 970....

not 4  but 5 have one more for the AMD 1800X rig 

Man...I so hate you right now (you are banned for the next 2 weeks) :P

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech