Sign in to follow this  
Ka Wai Lee

Weather radar not functioning

I'm using FSX Non steam version, PMDG 777 and ASN.

I just reinstalled my 777 with the newest update version, and discovered that my weather radar is not working with ASN.

Not working here means even if I "TEST" the radar, there is only aural callout of windshear and the red "windshear" text, but I don't see any colour patterns on the ND. All precipitations cannot be observed either.

After checking in details, I discovered that it is the as_btstrp.dll file in the as_srv folder that created the problem, I tried to paste my backed up old version of the file to the folder and replacing it, the weather radar test now works, with patterns observed. But ASN tells me to update the AS connect or else it won't function.

Then I update the AS connect again, but it goes back to the problem that the weather radar cannot be observed. I have checked that this is the only file that was modified following the update of AS connect.

I have sent a ticket to PMDG, yet it seems they can't really figure out what problem it is. I have been flying the PMDG 777 for a few years, and always with the newest version of ASN, everything worked just perfectly and weather radar was functioning. Strangely, this problem only happens with PMDG 777 with ASN (I don't know about other PMDG products as I didn't buy any others), but the weather radar in other manufacturers' aircraft work just fine. So I'm here to see if anyone figures out any solution to this.

1 hour ago, Ka Wai Lee said:

I'm using FSX Non steam version, PMDG 777 and ASN.

I just reinstalled my 777 with the newest update version, and discovered that my weather radar is not working with ASN.

Not working here means even if I "TEST" the radar, there is only aural callout of windshear and the red "windshear" text, but I don't see any colour patterns on the ND. All precipitations cannot be observed either.

After checking in details, I discovered that it is the as_btstrp.dll file in the as_srv folder that created the problem, I tried to paste my backed up old version of the file to the folder and replacing it, the weather radar test now works, with patterns observed. But ASN tells me to update the AS connect or else it won't function.

Then I update the AS connect again, but it goes back to the problem that the weather radar cannot be observed. I have checked that this is the only file that was modified following the update of AS connect.

I have sent a ticket to PMDG, yet it seems they can't really figure out what problem it is. I have been flying the PMDG 777 for a few years, and always with the newest version of ASN, everything worked just perfectly and weather radar was functioning. Strangely, this problem only happens with PMDG 777 with ASN (I don't know about other PMDG products as I didn't buy any others), but the weather radar in other manufacturers' aircraft work just fine. So I'm here to see if anyone figures out any solution to this.

We answered to your ticket to contact Active Sky since the issue is with as_btstrp.dll. This is their dll and not ours. Have you done this? 

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

39 minutes ago, Olympic260 said:

We answered to your ticket to contact Active Sky since the issue is with as_btstrp.dll. This is their dll and not ours. Have you done this? 

Yup, I have also sent a ticket to them about the issue.

but from the PMDG side, I would like to know whether or not installing the newest version of 777 will affect (install new or replacing current files) in the as_srv folder ? So any installations of the 777 will simply modify some files in the as_srv that causes the problem.

As mentioned, I am suspecting that it’s the replacing of the as_btstrp.dll that causes the problem. This is because there is no other problems with weather radar on non-PMDG models.

29 minutes ago, Ka Wai Lee said:

Yup, I have also sent a ticket to them about the issue.

but from the PMDG side, I would like to know whether or not installing the newest version of 777 will affect (install new or replacing current files) in the as_srv folder ? So any installations of the 777 will simply modify some files in the as_srv that causes the problem.

As mentioned, I am suspecting that it’s the replacing of the as_btstrp.dll that causes the problem. This is because there is no other problems with weather radar on non-PMDG models.

We do not touch this dll at all. As I wrote not our dll to change.

Chris Makris

1 hour ago, Olympic260 said:

We do not touch this dll at all. As I wrote not our dll to change.

Thanks Chris. I will be clean reinstalling the 777 again.

I will be uninstalling AS connect first, then delete the whole as_srv folder, then clean reinstall everything about PMDG. Then I will install the 777 back, before I install AS connect, making sure ASN works. From what I understand from your post, it means the aircraft shouldn't put anything into the as_srv folder (no as_connect.dll, no as_btstrp.dll file from the installer).

I paste the dll.xml here, not sure whether it is the as_btstrp.dll part that caused the problem.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
  <Descr>Launch</Descr>
  <Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
  <Disabled>False</Disabled>
  <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Mindstar Hypergauge</Name>
    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
    <Path>Modules\HyperGauge.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Addon Manager</Name>
    <Path>bglmanx.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>ObjectFlow_YBCS.dll</Name>
    <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_YBCS\scenery\ObjectFlow_YBCS.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>iFly 747-400 Menu</Name>
    <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\iFly744.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Object Placement Tool</Name>
    <Disabled>True</Disabled>
    <Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Traffic Toolbox</Name>
    <Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Visual Effects Tool</Name>
    <Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>VistaMare Core</Name>
    <Path>VistaMare\ViMaCoreX.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>PMDG Interface</Name>
    <Path>PMDG\DLLs\PMDG_Interface.dll</Path>
    <DllStartName>module_init</DllStartName>
    <DllStopName>module_deinit</DllStopName>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>RAASPRO</Name>
    <Path>.\RAASPRO\RAASPRO.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>PMDG Options</Name>
    <Path>PMDG\DLLs\PMDGOptions.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>PMDG Events</Name>
    <Path>PMDG\DLLs\PMDGEvents.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>PMDG Sounds</Name>
    <Path>PMDG\DLLs\PMDGSounds.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>PMDG HUD interface</Name>
    <Path>PMDG\DLLs\PMDG_HUD_interface.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>IvAp</Name>
    <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\IVAO\IvAp v2\ivap_fsx_bootstrap.dll</Path>
    <Commandline />
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>FSUIPC 4</Name>
    <Path>Modules\FSUIPC4.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>as_connect</Name>
    <Path>as_srv\as_btstrp.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

4 minutes ago, Ka Wai Lee said:

Thanks Chris. I will be clean reinstalling the 777 again.

I will be uninstalling AS connect first, then delete the whole as_srv folder, then clean reinstall everything about PMDG. Then I will install the 777 back, before I install AS connect, making sure ASN works. From what I understand from your post, it means the aircraft shouldn't put anything into the as_srv folder (no as_connect.dll, no as_btstrp.dll file from the installer).

I paste the dll.xml here, not sure whether it is the as_btstrp.dll part that caused the problem.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
  <Descr>Launch</Descr>
  <Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
  <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Mindstar Hypergauge</Name>
    <Path>Modules\HyperGauge.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Addon Manager</Name>
    <Path>bglmanx.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>ObjectFlow_YBCS.dll</Name>
    <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_YBCS\scenery\ObjectFlow_YBCS.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>iFly 747-400 Menu</Name>
    <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\iFly744.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Object Placement Tool</Name>
    <Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Traffic Toolbox</Name>
    <Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Visual Effects Tool</Name>
    <Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>VistaMare Core</Name>
    <Path>VistaMare\ViMaCoreX.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>PMDG Interface</Name>
    <Path>PMDG\DLLs\PMDG_Interface.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>RAASPRO</Name>
    <Path>.\RAASPRO\RAASPRO.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>PMDG Options</Name>
    <Path>PMDG\DLLs\PMDGOptions.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>PMDG Events</Name>
    <Path>PMDG\DLLs\PMDGEvents.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>PMDG Sounds</Name>
    <Path>PMDG\DLLs\PMDGSounds.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>PMDG HUD interface</Name>
    <Path>PMDG\DLLs\PMDG_HUD_interface.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>IvAp</Name>
    <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\IVAO\IvAp v2\ivap_fsx_bootstrap.dll</Path>
    <Commandline />
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>FSUIPC 4</Name>
    <Path>Modules\FSUIPC4.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>as_connect</Name>
    <Path>as_srv\as_btstrp.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

As far as I know as_connect.dll, and as_btstrp.dll is part of Active Sky platform. Before doing any uninstall I recommend waiting to see what Hifi support will answer.

• Like 1

Chris Makris

2 hours ago, Olympic260 said:

As far as I know as_connect.dll, and as_btstrp.dll is part of Active Sky platform. Before doing any uninstall I recommend waiting to see what Hifi support will answer.

After trying to reinstall the 777, I found out that the TEST button won't work, no matter with or without the ASN. So I guess ASN here is not the problem, as its presence or absence does not affect any results.

TEST not working means no colour pattern observed. Can you tell me which file is related to the 777's weather radar? It seems everything is working fine, only the weather radar malfunctioned, am I missing some files accidentally in the installer?

While the newest version of 777 shouldn't overwrite anything in the as_srv, so it eliminates the problem of ASN.

I'm starting to suspect the dll.xml or the FSUIPC. But other aircraft have their weather radar working perfectly fine, so ..  any unique settings from the PMDG that made it only the 777 malfunction?

Thanks.

Edited by Ka Wai Lee

25 minutes ago, Ka Wai Lee said:

After trying to reinstall the 777, I found out that the TEST button won't work, no matter with or without the ASN. So I guess ASN here is not the problem, as its presence or absence does not affect any results.

TEST not working means no colour pattern observed. Can you tell me which file is related to the 777's weather radar? It seems everything is working fine, only the weather radar malfunctioned, am I missing some files accidentally in the installer?

While the newest version of 777 shouldn't overwrite anything in the as_srv, so it eliminates the problem of ASN.

I'm starting to suspect the dll.xml or the FSUIPC. But other aircraft have their weather radar working perfectly fine, so ..  any unique settings from the PMDG that made it only the 777 malfunction?

Thanks.

I tried on my test machine which has only P3D and the PMDG planes and the test pattern had only the wind shear warning playing so it seems that AS is needed to be installed and working for the test pattern to be drawn.

I will cross check with the developer but for now it seems that AS is needed even for the test pattern to work.

Chris Makris

6 minutes ago, Olympic260 said:

I tried on my test machine which has only P3D and the PMDG planes and the test pattern had only the wind shear warning playing so it seems that AS is needed to be installed and working for the test pattern to be drawn.

I will cross check with the developer but for now it seems that AS is needed even for the test pattern to work.

Thanks for the prompt help Chris!

Now I think we have limit the problem into a connection between PMDG and my ASN.

Strangely, PMDG interacts with ASN quite well, it can load wind data uplink to FMC from ASN database, ASN tracks my aircraft moving, and even the ASN shows my FMC route. So I would say they are communicating well, except for the fact that ASN is not communicating with the weather radar. At this moment, I am still on to investigating the FSUIPC (the folder in root directory > modules), or the dll.xml in the Roaming folder, but I suspect the former one more. I am not sure whether I have accidentally changed anything in it during my reinstall.

Anyway, looking forward to your checking with the dev team. Thanks :)

For what it's worth, I have had the PMDG 777 (latest version) and Active Sky (latest version) installed in FSX (not Steam or P3D) for over 2 years and have not had any problems. I also use FSUIPC (without problems, but you have to use it with care.)

Are you carefully following the the Active Sky documentation for installing as_btstrp.dll? The files in your \as_srv directory (found in the Flightsim directory) have to agree with the installed version of ASN. Installing a backup file from an earlier installation of ASN will not work even if the file "looks" similar. I'm guessing your issues could be (are) related to your installation of ActiveSky, but that's ONLY A GUESS!

I would agree with Olympic260's suggestion, that you wait until you hear further from HiFi support.

Edited by ClaudeF
  • Upvote 1

Regards,

Claude Franklin

I would appreciate some assistance with this. I have recently been having nearly the same problem.

I'm able to start flights and get the test pattern and audio call but at some point during the flight the radar stops working and pressing the test button no longer works. I've experienced this in both the 777 and 747 and it's a fairly recent problem on my system. Using P3D V4. Have sent support tickets to both companies but would like to hear any suggestions.

FSUIPC is not installed in either sim.

Edited by paradoxbox

To be honest, when it actually stops working just in the middle of your flight then it must be something on your computer kicking it off.

for example any anti virus software turning off the prozess.. i‘m not at my pc right now so I cant check the correct tasks required to be run in the background but I can‘t think of many reasons why it should work the one second and stop the other beside of what I‘ve mentioned above.  Have you excluded all P3D related folders from your av? Even if it‘s only win defender?

Btw, maybe a picky question: what do you mean with „fsuipc not installed in EITHER sim“? 777 and 747 normally would would be addons to the same sim installation... do you have different setups or something??