Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Had a good flight today

In retirement I have been really enjoying my flight sims.  Flew my Citation 550 in P3D out of SFO to Reno at Flight Level 290.  I love that route of flight, as it goes over water, hills, farmland, alpine mountains and finally desert.  For me flying is completely changing the scenery from where you are to where you will be.  Another favorite route is from the deserts of Arizona to the lush greenery of the south.  Just the change of scenery that only flying a distance can bring.  When I flew to London last year I was amazed as we took off out of Phoenix, over the desert mountains, then over the Rockies, then over the upper Prairie states of Minnesota and Wisconsin, into Ontario and Quebec Canada.  Then the sun settled, a brief few hours of darkness over the Atlantic, then I snapped a picture as we crossed the coast of Ireland remembering Charles Lindburgh's trip 90 years before me.  My passion for aviation is that it is used for peace, to bring people together, rather than war, to tear us apart.  The Wright brothers were appalled when aircraft became weapons of war.  Santos Dumont was another famous flier, the darling of Paris, just showing the joy of flight and the ability to get from point a to point b, or just to putter around looking at the world so delicate below.

My next flight today will be an Xplane11 flight out of Tucson Arizona...

John

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Cactus521 said:

to bring people together

"The Wright Brothers created the single greatest cultural force since the invention of writing. The airplane became the first World Wide Web, bringing people, languages, ideas, and values together". Bill Gates

When I read your post I thought of this. Have you seen Living in the Age of Airplanes? One of my favorite aviation documentaries. http://www.airplanesmovie.com/

Edited by bills511

1 hour ago, bills511 said:

"The Wright Brothers created the single greatest cultural force since the invention of writing. The airplane became the first World Wide Web, bringing people, languages, ideas, and values together". Bill Gates

When I read your post I thought of this. Have you seen Living in the Age of Airplanes? One of my favorite aviation documentaries. http://www.airplanesmovie.com/

I just finished watching the movie, it was wonderful and narrated by Harrison Ford, one of my favorite actors!

I too experienced a nice flight today.  From Novato California (just north of San Francisco) to Furnace Creek in Death Valley.

Like John I flew over water, farm land, alpine mountains, and desert.

But unlike John I was in my Quest Kodiak.  I flew at 7,000 feet until I hit the foothills of the Sierras and began my climb to 14,000 feet to crest the ridge just north of Lone PIne.  Then a quick descent to land at Furnace Creek 240 feet below sea level.  An ear popping descent.

The varied geography and terrain of California makes for very interesting flights.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

16 hours ago, birdguy said:

I too experienced a nice flight today.  From Novato California (just north of San Francisco) to Furnace Creek in Death Valley.

Like John I flew over water, farm land, alpine mountains, and desert.

But unlike John I was in my Quest Kodiak.  I flew at 7,000 feet until I hit the foothills of the Sierras and began my climb to 14,000 feet to crest the ridge just north of Lone PIne.  Then a quick descent to land at Furnace Creek 240 feet below sea level.  An ear popping descent.

The varied geography and terrain of California makes for very interesting flights.

Noel

One other nice flight to try is from Reno, Nevada down to Palm Springs, which affords views of the magnificent eastern crest of the Sierras and the western parts of the basin and range valleys of Nevada, as well as views of Mono Lake.  I like flying it in the Cessna 337 about 2000 ft. AGL, which has one flying within the Owens Valley but over the terrain.  I drove the route a couple of times, once with my wife and once on my own, and it is so pristine and beautiful, with air so clear and unspoiled by the pollution of central and coastal California. 

John

Highway 395 John.  I know it well.  Reno to Ridgecrest.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Remember the movie "Always"?  Forest fire bomber pilot Richard Dreyfus is killed and comes back to 'spiritually' advise rookie pilot.  Great movie!  Good flying scenes.  Especially the opening when John Goodman flying a PBY taking on water in a lake buzzes a couple of fishermen.

Noel

• Upvote 1

On 3/20/2018 at 4:11 PM, birdguy said:

Remember the movie "Always"?  Forest fire bomber pilot Richard Dreyfus is killed and comes back to 'spiritually' advise rookie pilot.  Great movie!  Good flying scenes.  Especially the opening when John Goodman flying a PBY taking on water in a lake buzzes a couple of fishermen.

Noel

I remember that movie quite well, can't remember how long ago I saw it though, just shortly after it came out on video.  Favorite movie with flying scenes though was "Battle of Britain" which I have as an mp4 and watch from time to time.  It was well ahead of it time in terms of live action special effects and really captured what both sides experienced as the British fought for their freedom and their pilots became heroes well remembered by the British and their allies today.

John

That was a great movie too.

And remember the Yank John Gillesp[ie Macgee who flew with them and didn't come back.  The author of High Flight.  If you ever get a chance to visit the Air Force Museum in Dayton Ohio he is featured in a small corner.  Push a button and you can hear his mother recite the poem.  Kinda chokes you up.

Noel