Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

FFPS:FFTF question

6 hours ago, Nyxx said:

It by not be adding more power but It sure does affect FPS with 4 core and HT on. Watch the vid link I posted. Its a common know fact (unless you have crazy amount of core) locking fps = a FPS hit unless you add FFTF 0.01. Then FFTF for sure can affect FPS.

The use for FFTF is when you don't want to use unlimited and have your FPS bouncing all over the place and you want to lock at what FPS you can see your PC can give you. Then adding FFTF 0.01 stops you incurring the locked FPS hit you get.

You more than likely right that "more cores the better" but your average simmer have 4.

Very interesting inference, saved.

Thanks.

Edited by Dirk98

14 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

Sure, I hear what you're saying Gerard, but like many others with P3Dv4, the issue I have isn't with framerates, but with texture loading.

Perhaps there's too high a texture resolution set for the system somewhere - did you try setting the terrain res to 1 or 2m?

The process of gathering the textures is extended onto more cores of the CPU (background task) saving the main process (of rendering) competing with it. So looking at Gerard's 30% change it would seem unfortunately that a process linked to that background task was growing and shrinking on the main core simply taking the throughput from the renderer.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

3 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

Sure, I hear what you're saying Gerard, but like many others with P3Dv4, the issue I have isn't with framerates, but with texture loading.

Yep,, same here.

3 hours ago, SteveW said:

Perhaps there's too high a texture resolution set for the system somewhere - did you try setting the terrain res to 1 or 2m?

The process of gathering the textures is extended onto more cores of the CPU (background task) saving the main process (of rendering) competing with it. So looking at Gerard's 30% change it would seem unfortunately that a process linked to that background task was growing and shrinking on the main core simply taking the throughput from the renderer.

Hi Steve,,

Would dropping the texture resolution down to 1 or 2m increase blurries, not from a performance perspective, but rather that the terrain is just not as detailed??

Mike

Hi Mike, Yes  lowers the resolution if moved left. Blurriness from slow texture loading is a lot worse. Partially loaded textures are projected onto the tiles no matter how many lines collected. If moving sliders left does not help then there is a major problem with the sim setup somewhere.

Some Preliminary Results:

Testing FSPS FFTF Dynamic utility

FRAMES RANGE (while FFTF Dynamic is ACTIVE: 24 - 30

Target Frame Rate = 30 (Monitored with FRAPS)

SETTINGS: Scenery Objects

Scenery complexity = Dense
Autogen draw distance = High
Autogen vegetation density = Normal
Autogen building density = Normal

TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10

N.B. STATIC SITUATION
Scenery: Scotflight for ORBX (Edinburgh), Black Marble Vector
EGPH (Rwy 06) (Spring, Daytime - 1400hrs, Fair Weather)
Vehicle: Default F-22 Raptor

FFTF Dynamic Inactive:

Window...........25fps (GPU Memory Used = 7080 MB)
Full Screen.....22      (GPU Memory Used = 7369 MB)

FFTF Dynamic Active:

Window...........28fps (Dynamic Activity noted with values changing rapidly between 0.1 and 0.33)
Full Screen.....27

Target Frame Rate = Unlimited (Monitored with FRAPS)
(VSync and TB = OFF)

FFTF Dynamic Inactive:

Window...........35fps
Full Screen.....32

FFTF Dynamic Active:

Window...........35fps (Stable value of 0.33)
Full Screen.....32fps

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Scenery Objects sliders Maxed out:        

Scenery complexity = Extremely Dense
Autogen draw distance = Extremely High
Autogen vegetation density = Extremely Dense
Autogen building density = Extremely Dense

Target Frame Rate = 30

FFTF Dynamic Inactive:

Window...........19fps (GPU Memory Used = 7182 MB)
Full Screen.....17    (GPU Memory Used = 7502 MB)

FFTF Dynamic Active:

Window...........24fps (Dynamic Activity noted with values changing rapidly between 0.05 and 0.1)
Full Screen.....22

Target Frame Rate = Unlimited (Monitored with FRAPS)
(VSync and TB = OFF)

FFTF Dynamic Inactive:

Window...........26fps
Full Screen.....22

FFTF Dynamic Active:

Window...........26fps (Dynamic Activity noted with values changing between 0.1 and 0.14)
Full Screen.....22

Flew around for a bit, texture loading seemed okay and there were no blurries despite incredibly dense scenery. However, the sim soon became very stuttery with frame rates dropping to the low teens. Quite clearly this scenery area does not permit a smooth flying experience using the above settings and FFTF Dynamic struggles to ameliorate the situation although, as I said, there seemed to be no issues with the displayed textures.

I chose this Scenario quite deliberately as I know it to be quite taxing on my system and I thought it would be a good test area to see whether FFTF Dynamic adds anything of a positive nature performance wise.

By way of contrast, smooth flight without any issues was again achieved by reverting to my original settings at the top of the post, abandoning FFTF Dynamic and running frame rate unlimited.

Mike

Edited by Cruachan
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

Another thing I see a lot is that the sim isn't set up right.

Have a look at task manager when the sim is running and see there are no maxed out cores.

I set a limit with VSync=On/Unlimited or locked 29. With a 59-60Hz monitor I should get around 30 fps, with locked set we get the most stable fps.

I set the sim up lean so that there are no maxed out main cores.

I introduce settings and see the cores use creep up.

I stop introducing settings when the main core is around 90%.

If it is at 100% and we get a change to a more complex scene it can't go to 110% so the fps drops to 90% instead.

Edited by SteveW

8 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

I chose this Scenario quite deliberately as I know it to be quite taxing on the system unless, of course, certain sliders are pulled back a few notches (as above)!

Mike

You know Mike when I talk about red-lining some aspect of the sim any old outcome is what we get. That's why some see a change in making a setting, some see none, and some see another entirely different change. Of course there's nothing wrong with setting the sim up to fall behind at the sniff of some scenery if we are OK flying in a slow straight line, I do it myself. But to analyse the throughput of the CPU and the capability of the GPU requires splitting it out and your results blur any details for me.

Hi Steve,

Not sure I fully understand. You might want to revisit my last post as I have edited the last couple of paragraphs to help clarify my situation. To be frank I'm not sure that this utility offers very much of a positive nature on my setup. Seems to manage fine without it and, as before, all I need do is fly frames unlimited when things get a little tough. Otherwise peg at 30 which seems just fine for general flight operations.

Regards,

Mike

Edited by Cruachan

The FFTF value is to control the percentage the fibres read the texture in vs forming the scene, the renderer continues running at a stable fps because the fibres run in another process on another core/s.

Setting the value in the cfg file is a guide for the sim. The app setting the value from outside must do it all the time or it misses the firing of fibres, in other words the start of each next fetch. I explained all in my comprehensive post earlier. So the software by adjusting the FFTF value on-the-fly means loading larger/more textures in the same time if it can lose time arranging the scene and the converse if it is advantageous. Gerard discussed the operating parameters in the first posts.

Therefore if we have set the system to rise and fall in fps it is not set right for the software to do its job. In that way the software can only impede the sim and reduce the overall performance.

Why? No matter how we divide up our cake we still only have one cake. So interfering with the operation from there is one more process that can't change the outcome whatever the setting..

Edited by SteveW

TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10

is considered by LM an "unsupported, experimental" setting... why not do your tests with something more mainstream?

• Like 1

Bert

Hi Bert, actually setting that might be useful in testing the app.

1 minute ago, SteveW said:

Hi Bert, actually setting that might be useful in testing the app.

Depends on what you are trying to test, I suppose..

If you own a 1080ti, this is the kind of setting that can keep it busy... :happy:

Not sure it does much more than that..

Bert

7 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10

is considered by LM an "unsupported, experimental" setting... why not do your tests with something more mainstream?

Hi Bert,

I know, but I was curious to see what could be achieved with regards to texture loading. As it turns out my system handles things quite nicely with or without the FFTF utility which is certainly worth knowing, don't you think?

Regards,

Mike

Just now, Cruachan said:

Hi Bert,

I know, but I was curious to see what could be achieved with regards to texture loading. As it turns out my system handles things quite nicely which is certainly worth knowing, don't you think?

Regards,

Mike

Agreed, but what is this utility supposed to be used for?  To help "power users" fly closer to the red line...

or help more mainstream users navigate through dense scenery situations..?

Bert