Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

FFPS:FFTF question

I always have the problem tha as soon as I set my framerate to something else than unlimited, it really really dips further than the value I set.

It could go from 68 frames on unlimited to 16 frames on locked 30.

Does anyone else experience this?

Victor Roos

On ‎17‎-‎3‎-‎2018 at 4:56 PM, GSalden said:

Hi Mike,

The sole purpose is to have the best of 2 ways :

1 Maximum performance on the ground and at approach ( most of the time heavy scenery , like a major airport and a large city nearby )

2 Better terrain loading than with FFTF at 0.01  (  Fighting blurries, loosing AG when flying )     

I use the program with a fixed framerate in P3D icw with AGL mode. 

at what framerate do you lock it in the sim?

"agl mode"? 

Victor Roos

4 hours ago, GSalden said:

A locked 60 fps is advised to see what your system is capable of regarding your max framerate at a major detailed airport. So no working Vsync. Your monitors frequency then doesn’t matter .

You won’t get 60 fps but you are able to see what your system really is capable of. Without the program running and without a FFTF entry in your cfg file you automatically use the default 0.33. That is your starting point and you can set it up like is being described here :

Thanks Gerard, this makes the idea clear.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

14 hours ago, Cruachan said:

Hi Steve,

Could this explain the intermittent ‘juddering’ I have described or is it more likely to be caused by a competing system process?

When a locked frame rate is employed you are not going to be aware of the frame rate dropping towards and below the locked setting. When it does breach that threshold then that would be the point at which the exact time between frames cannot be maintained and the frame rate would plummet quickly thereafter. If this is the explanation then why would the frame rate recover after a short period to the locked value while those conditions (assuming it’s something to do with scenery density) precipitating the event still exist?

At present I’m inclined more towards the competing process theory and adjusting the AM may provide the answer. Won’t know until I try!

Steve, your last para might be an argument for using the FFTF Dynamic utility 😀

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I started experiencing mini pause cycles, maybe as you describe as "juddering" as well.  I experimented by locking my frames at 20 and setting refresh rate to 30 Hz with AM=244 (11,11,01,00) and the depiction of the sim wasn't the same as my previous flights which were smooth and showed lots of detail on the ground below.  I could actually see the autogen loading about 10 miles out.  More experimentation is needed. 

\Robert Hamlich/

33 minutes ago, Victoroos said:

I always have the problem tha as soon as I set my framerate to something else than unlimited, it really really dips further than the value I set.

Same for me.  As I mentioned in the other reply, I was experimenting with a low & locked FPS setting and found the results to be less than appealing.  Those settings work for some but not for me.  I am very sensitive to screen flickering and other issues that arise out of low monitor refresh rates.  I find 60 Hz refresh, vsync and tripple buffering at unlimited frames to be the best settings for me.  The sim is quite smooth in almost all cases. 

\Robert Hamlich/

6 minutes ago, HUSSAR said:

Same for me.  As I mentioned in the other reply, I was experimenting with a low & locked FPS setting and found the results to be less than appealing.  Those settings work for some but not for me.  I am very sensitive to screen flickering and other issues that arise out of low monitor refresh rates.  I find 60 Hz refresh, vsync and tripple buffering at unlimited frames to be the best settings for me.  The sim is quite smooth in almost all cases. 

Doesn't Vsynch use more resources?

Victor Roos

Yes, on my PC the sim seems to perform better with that setting active.

\Robert Hamlich/

21 minutes ago, HUSSAR said:

So you can keep 60 fps with unlimted/VSync+TB on over, say, FSDT KLAX with ORBX SCA in the background? In this case I would envy you. I can't even keep 30 fps unlimited /VSync with my 30 Hz monitor over such terrain, even in a simple Carenado C172.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Imagine Vsync On / Unlimited with a 60 hrtz monitor 

The moment your pc drops too long below 60 Vsync cuts your syncd framerate in half : 30.

If you system can’t hold 30 it will drop to 20. If 20 is too much it will drop to 15 and even 12. So 60 /2/3/4/5 etc

Locked at the same framerate it smoother than that framerate at Unlimited...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

5 minutes ago, l_schuiling said:

Might be a stupid question, but  what is the difference between a Fiber accelerator 2018 booster live and this new tool?  it confuses me a lot

leon

The same but automatically ....

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

3 hours ago, Victoroos said:

That is because your default fiber frame setting is 0.33. If you change it to 0.01 you probably wouldn't notice a dip in fps compared to unlimited

But the problem with running unlimited/0.01 fiber frame is, your computer is just putting 100% effort into pure FPS at the cost of loading all the scenery.

I've recently come to understand this and thus now run with my sim with fps locked at a target of 30 with a dynamic fiber frame. Its now a lot nicer flying with places where all the auto gen has loaded.

Edited by Litmoose

1 hour ago, Litmoose said:

That is because your default fiber frame setting is 0.33. If you change it to 0.01 you probably wouldn't notice a dip in fps compared to unlimited

But the problem with running unlimited/0.01 fiber frame is, your computer is just putting 100% effort into pure FPS at the cost of loading all the scenery.

I've recently come to understand this and thus now run with my sim with fps locked at a target of 30 with a dynamic fiber frame. Its now a lot nicer flying with places where all the auto gen has loaded.

dynamic as in via this tool?

is it// such a big thing?

There is no trial for it is there? :S..

I have some bad experience with the fsps tools to be honest. but I'm open to everything

Victor Roos

2 hours ago, GSalden said:

Imagine Vsync On / Unlimited with a 60 hrtz monitor 

The moment your pc drops too long below 60 Vsync cuts your syncd framerate in half : 30.

If you system can’t hold 30 it will drop to 20. If 20 is too much it will drop to 15 and even 12. So 60 /2/3/4/5 etc

Locked at the same framerate it smoother than that framerate at Unlimited...

SO. you would recommend using the tool + framerate locked at 30 + vsynch and triple buff? 

Victor Roos

26 minutes ago, Victoroos said:

dynamic as in via this tool?

is it// such a big thing?

There is no trial for it is there? :S..

I have some bad experience with the fsps tools to be honest. but I'm open to everything

1) Dynamic via this tool yes, although I only got it last night and have done 2 flights so far. I had it set to 0.10 manually before which seemed to work well to be fair.

2) Depends if you just want max fps or autogen loading in time,

3) Nope

4) I just took the plunge, only time will tell. Although £25 for such a tool is very expensive to be honest.