Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

FFPS:FFTF question

Hi Achilles, Yes I see, good idea. Keep up the hard work!   ;-)

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Looking at my graphs there should be a greater possibility of understanding this concept, which I explained at the start of the thread.

The Area around the player is filled in quicker with big FFTF values at the expense of interrupting the sim flow with big gobs of data - hence in the manual it says can introduce stutter.

If we are near to the ground we don't worry how much the terrain extends out from the player, we can't see it - not high enough maybe. Then perhaps the FFTF value need not be so high and the system's overall power can be utilised more effectively on the scene nearby. The App alters that according to the requirements we set it - see Gerard's notes at the start of the thread.

Set the sim with low settings and low core count, then bring the core count up to minimise the scenario load up time, if adding more cores does not reduce that time stop there. Then see if more cores makes a difference to the graphics capacity. If you use more cores and there's no difference then that comes to nothing more than added heat.

55 minutes ago, Achilles Philippopoulos said:

Hi Steve,

In playback mode, FS code for FFTF works at unlimited frames but it works from another FS code routine.

At playback mode, you need high FFTF value because otherwise you see thinks like it was at FS2002 :-)

I also implemented it, to support simmers for video production. 

Achilles

This will most likely be my last response on this topic but based on your response and the follow up from Steve it appears to me your response to me earlier still holds when one flys real-time in P3D.

Basically FFTF config mods are of no value when running Unlimited but if one wants to run Unlimited like myself then I could deploy the Dynamic FFTF app to real-time adjust the values based on personal preference and performance capabilities.

I will now stop experimenting with FFTF config mods unless at sometime I want to use Locked frames where it does have an impact.

Thanks to Gerard again for bringing this app to our attention!

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

As P.T. Barnum once said....."there's one born every minute". OK, I'll admit I'm a sucker for anything new. So, I bought this latest "gadget". And, it's turned my otherwise faultless P3Dv4.0 installation into a stutter fest. No matter what the settings, the stutters are now killing me. I also now have long 3-5 second pauses (I assume it's loading textures) which I've NEVER seen before. I've spent the better part of 6 hours playing around with settings and nothing works. Only by turning off the FFTF app do things return to normal. It's not like I'm a newbee who doesn't know what he's doing. But, for now, the FFTF app is on the shelf and never to be used again unless I can figure out what the h*** happened..........Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

20 pages of tweaks, lines of codes and graphs. 

I used to like reading topics on the train on the way to work..... 

Edited by tooting

14ppkc-6.png

Quite. In a nutshell there's a setting in the sim that alters the balance of power within the workings of the sim. The idea is that that balance of power can be tipped one way or the other to gain advantage - that is, when it's ok to rob Peter to pay Paul. There are apps designed to alter that balance automatically. I thought the graphs were pretty damned good - better than yours I expect. : )

Edited by SteveW

6 hours ago, tooting said:

20 pages of tweaks, lines of codes and graphs. 

I used to like reading topics on the train on the way to work..

Yet, I haven't seen a categorical statement, that this product is helpful to the general user.  In fact, it isn't at all as it seems you need a computer science degree to understand what the settings do, how they do it, and why they do it.

Edited by ErichB

11 hours ago, W2DR said:

As P.T. Barnum once said....."there's one born every minute". OK, I'll admit I'm a sucker for anything new. So, I bought this latest "gadget". And, it's turned my otherwise faultless P3Dv4.0 installation into a stutter fest. No matter what the settings, the stutters are now killing me. I also now have long 3-5 second pauses (I assume it's loading textures) which I've NEVER seen before. I've spent the better part of 6 hours playing around with settings and nothing works. Only by turning off the FFTF app do things return to normal. It's not like I'm a newbee who doesn't know what he's doing. But, for now, the FFTF app is on the shelf and never to be used again unless I can figure out what the h*** happened..........Doug

Please ignore everything in this post. I'm now sure the problem lies with me, the dumb user, and not the application. If one of the mods sees this I'd really like to have the post removed as it's not accurate nor fair to the FFTF team. I'll count to 10 next time before opening my mouth.Thanks..........Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

25 minutes ago, W2DR said:

Please ignore everything in this post. I'm now sure the problem lies with me, the dumb user, and not the application. If one of the mods sees this I'd really like to have the post removed as it's not accurate nor fair to the FFTF team. I'll count to 10 next time before opening my mouth.Thanks..........Doug

I don't think that should be necessary Doug. It's in everyone's interest to hear feedback and peoples' experiences of products, whether positive or otherwise :biggrin:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

1 minute ago, Rockliffe said:

I don't think that should be necessary Doug. It's in everyone's interest to hear feedback and peoples' experiences of products, whether positive or otherwise :biggrin:

I don't disagree but I also think that whether a post is positive or negative it should be accurate. And, this one isn't. That's why I'd like it to be deleted as it's highly misleading..........Cheers..........Doug

3 minutes ago, W2DR said:

I don't disagree but I also think that whether a post is positive or negative it should be accurate. And, this one isn't. That's why I'd like it to be deleted as it's highly misleading..........Cheers..........Doug

The more interesting statement would be if you could clearly attach those stutters to some other cause, i.e. rule out they are a result of the FFTF Dynamic "gadget".

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

33 minutes ago, pmb said:

The more interesting statement would be if you could clearly attach those stutters to some other cause, i.e. rule out they are a result of the FFTF Dynamic "gadget".

Kind regards, Michael

OK...Dummy here found the problem about 5 minutes ago. It's Dumb User Error and not the fault of FTFF. I was messing around with the settings in the .cfg file the other day and mistakenly left TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10,  and that just won't work with a 4GB GPU.....the whole system was choking trying to page video RAM. So, another lesson learned. And I'm really sorry for all the fuss..........Doug

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, W2DR said:

OK...Dummy here found the problem about 5 minutes ago.

Thanks for tracing this for us, much appreciated. Such happens...

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Good to read that you were able to solve it at last Doug.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0