Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Train Sim World: NEC New York

For me, this is much more like it. A route in the U.S that I've always loved ever since I was a kid, and stared out the car window at the tracks alongside the highways. Where did those trains go to? Who was on them? The tracks represented travel, adventure, unknown places and possibilities.

My love of trains started there.....

Amtrak!!! Now if only DTG does not screw it up. I'm always suspicious now when these titles appear with seemingly no warning and no In-depth previews.

Especially as they offer the pre-purchase price of $17.99 if you get it now instead of waiting for the $29.99 release......

And the accompanying reviews...... 

Lets hope its good!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Trains in world is a cool idea. However, I am pretty baffled as to why they only do 50 or so miles of track. When are we going to get full routes like in the older train sim 20xx? Who knows. Also, the scenarios are so scant. 

• Like 1

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

Indeed. Train Sim World GWR would have interested me if it had included the entire length of track from London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads, plus several side extensions to places like Oxford. When I realised that it only included track from London to Reading, I lost interest.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

It takes time to do full routes in the detail they are trying to achieve, compared to ORBX who has been at it for 10 years now in the first year was pretty much just Coff's Harbour and the region surrounding it, takes a lot of time to build little worlds 

Matthew Kane

Interestingly enough, apparently Amtrak asked DTG to tone down some of the realism on the New York route due to possible security concerns...... Real, or marketing from DTG?

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Not surprised, I have pre-ordered it as well, this is my kind of region as I prefer busy urban areas. New York and region is great because it has a mix of abandoned industry and urban rejuvenation in the outlying regions of the city, one of the best areas in the north east.

Montreal is great too, hopefully one day they can connect the entire north east.

Matthew Kane

9 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

It takes time to do full routes in the detail they are trying to achieve, compared to ORBX who has been at it for 10 years now in the first year was pretty much just Coff's Harbour and the region surrounding it, takes a lot of time to build little worlds 

That's a cop out...at best. Trainsim and flightsim are novelties. People clamour at the chance to do something that they couldn't do in real life...Especially like flying and driving trains. These companies know that, so they go half-donkey on add ons knowing full well that people will buy because they just have to see what it feels like. 

If the product is truly worth it, then people will buy it, word will get out and revenue will continue to stream in. If it isn't, revenue dies. Supply and demand....

Sadly, there will always be a demand for these things.

Matt kubanda

18 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

That's a cop out...at best. Trainsim and flightsim are novelties. People clamour at the chance to do something that they couldn't do in real life...Especially like flying and driving trains. These companies know that, so they go half-donkey on add ons knowing full well that people will buy because they just have to see what it feels like. 

If the product is truly worth it, then people will buy it, word will get out and revenue will continue to stream in. If it isn't, revenue dies. Supply and demand....

Sadly, there will always be a demand for these things.

When Sublogic first came out with Flight Simulator 2 in 1983, it had Chicago and the region around it and that was it. Eventually Sublogic released all of the USA on 12 disks that sold for around $50 each (which was a lot of money back then). That was the business model and it is still exactly how they are still doing things today. So why are you complaining about it now????

This is how it was:
https://www.c64-wiki.com/wiki/subLOGIC_Scenery_Disks

I don't see any difference today other then a bunch of complainers about it, it's been that way for over 35 years now, get over it.

Matthew Kane

3 minutes ago, Matthew Kane said:

When Sublogic first came out with Flight Simulator 2 in 1983, it had Chicago and the region around it and that was it. Eventually Sublogic released all of the USA on 12 disks that sold for around $50 each (which was a lot of money back then). That was the business model and it is still exactly how they are still doing things today. So why are you complaining about it now????

This is how it was:
https://www.c64-wiki.com/wiki/subLOGIC_Scenery_Disks

I don't see any difference today other then a bunch of complainers about it, it's been that way for over 35 years now, get over it.

So I guess we have to wait 35 years to get full routes?

You're describing a leap in technology, not the ability to do something. If they wanted to make a full route they can. They have the ability to do it....They just choose not too. If they couldn't do it, then this thread wouldn't even exist because the game doesn't exist.

Matt kubanda

12 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

So I guess we have to wait 35 years to get full routes?

You're describing a leap in technology, not the ability to do something. If they wanted to make a full route they can. They have the ability to do it....They just choose not too. If they couldn't do it, then this thread wouldn't even exist because the game doesn't exist.

The timeline back then was

FS2 released 1983

Scenery packs released 1985 - 1989

Development takes time, same back then as today, it doesn't take rocket appliances to figure that out.

For the developers this has always been a labor of love, most other developers that don't care and just want to make lots of money end up at EA Games or something like that. Our community always has, and always will be comprised of developers that are underpaid, overworked and do it because it is what they want to do. What is a pity are the ones like you that complain about it because it ruins that passion for the ones that develop these things for you. 

Matthew Kane

I understand th\at it takes time to build simulated versions of real world routes in detail. The problem is that DTG will probably move on to other regions of the world for subsequent expansion packs (and quite rightly so, since other users want different train routes than I do), and the GWR package will never be extended.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

9 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

The timeline back then was

FS2 released 1983

Scenery packs released 1985 - 1989

Development takes time, same back then as today, it doesn't take rocket appliances to figure that out.

For the developers this has always been a labor of love, most other developers that don't care and just want to make lots of money end up at EA Games or something like that. Our community always has, and always will be comprised of developers that are underpaid, overworked and do it because it is what they want to do. What is a pity are the ones like you that complain about it because it ruins that passion for the ones that develop these things for you. 

You're comparing apples to oranges here. 

It's not like back then where they most likely couldn't physically make the entire world of scenery due to technological constraints. 

Trainsim world is completely different. They have the tools to make a route. They just only do a quarter or a half of it. 

What do you think is going to happen? They are going to go back and add to all the existing routes??? 

Give me a break. I'm spending my hard earned money and expect not to be ripped off. 

Excuse me for holding developers accountable in hopes that they can actually make progress in developing products. 

Countless times have I been mislead and even blatantly lied to by a companies advertising just to part with large amounts of cash. 

You obviously have a soft spot for crap from developers. Or maybe you just want to sound self riteous here on avsim to get some street cred. Whatever it is, it's honestly the biggest reason companies get a way with half baked products. 

There is absolutely no reason for not building an entire route. If there is a truly concrete reason as to why they can't, then tell me.

Edited by ahsmatt7

Matt kubanda

2 hours ago, ahsmatt7 said:

There is absolutely no reason for not building an entire route. If there is a truly concrete reason as to why they can't, then tell me.

Don't buy it, move on. Inevitably these titles end up with a following that does support them, that is how a community develops around a title, and a culture is formed.

Your feelings have been noted, obviously not a good hobby for you. A hobby is a regular activity that is done for enjoyment, typically during one's leisure time, this isn't what you are getting from this as you have expressed otherwise.

Edited by Matthew Kane

Matthew Kane

5 minutes ago, Matthew Kane said:

Don't buy it, move on. Inevitably these titles end up with a following that does support them, that is how a community develops around a title, and a culture is formed.

Your feelings have been noted, obviously not a good hobby for you. A hobby is a regular activity that is done for enjoyment, typically during one's leisure time, this isn't what you are getting from this as you have expressed otherwise.

I'll probably buy it, at least after reviews go up.

However, I am just expressing my opinion. I think TSW itself is one hell of a platform. I'm just saying that this trend is troubling. 

It woukd be spectacular to get Marias pass in TSW and just enjoy the scenery in the new game engine....all 150 miles of it. I don't think that will ever happen though.

We shall agree to disagree!

Good day good sir! :)

Matt kubanda