Sign in to follow this  
aatd

Hardware Adequate? -- Advice Sought

Hello,

I am wondering whether the following hardware configuration is suitable for use with Prepar3d, latest version?  I have not used Prepar3d before, and am not especially computer savvy.  My environment would include Orbx and either ga or corporate aircraft.  If it is not sufficient, I would appreciate any practicable advice on which components will need to be upgraded (to what?).  I'll either be using three (3), 24" 1080p monitors or a larger size UHD tv.

Thanks,

Brian

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K Socket LGA 1151 Unlocked (...should it be delided to ~4,7Ghz ?)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII GENE
Video Card: 11GB Gigabyte Turbo GTX 1080 Ti
Memory: 16GB 3000Mhz ADATA XPG DDR4 RAM
Boot Drive: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO NVME M.2 SSD
Second Drive: 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SATA SSD
Third Drive: 6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro 7200RPM HDD
Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 350D Windowed ATX Case
Power Supply: 650W Corsair RMx Series RM650x 80 PLUS Gold Certified Full Modular PSU 
Networking: TP-Link TG-3468 Gigabit Ethernet Card (10/100/1000Mbps)

Edited by brianVancouver

I think a lot of Prepar3d4.2 users will envy you. Go on.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

40 minutes ago, pmb said:

I think a lot of Prepar3d4.2 users will envy you. Go on.

Kind regards, Michael

+1
You're good to go.

Thank you both for your advice,

Regards,

Brian

Edited by brianVancouver

It's been recommended to me that I have it delided (sp?) to run at 4,7 Ghz.  Is this a sound idea or am I baiting a hardware failure, and would it generate any meaningful sim improvement?

Brian

Since your new to Prepared and not really computer savvy I'm going say this -I wanna be the 1st: The 6700K is obsolete. Keep your existing config but loose the mobo and cpu and get your self a 8600K or 8700k and pair it with a ROG Apex mobo. I don't know anything about your memory, but you're gonna want the new B-die Samsung memory 2x8mb or 2x16mb kit <-----the mobo comes with some nice memory presets in bios.

And, while I can't guarantee what your experience will be with a multi monitor setup I can guarantee a smooth day or night all weather experience at 1440p and lower resolutions .... no tweaks necessary. 

52 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

Since your new to Prepared and not really computer savvy I'm going say this -I wanna be the 1st: The 6700K is obsolete. Keep your existing config but loose the mobo and cpu and get your self a 8600K or 8700k and pair it with a ROG Apex mobo.

Well your not wrong but your not exactly correct either the 6700k is obsolete but so is the ancient 2600k and you will find it hard to find anyone who dislikes that CPU its a legend. The 6700k is no 2600k but any card capable of steady 4.5ghz if oc and cooled correct is not obsolete maybe by the time cascade lake comes out then we can use the word obsolete but not now.

6 hours ago, brianVancouver said:

Hello,

I am wondering whether the following hardware configuration is suitable for use with Prepar3d, latest version?  I have not used Prepar3d before, and am not especially computer savvy.  My environment would include Orbx and either ga or corporate aircraft.  If it is not sufficient, I would appreciate any practicable advice on which components will need to be upgraded (to what?).  I'll either be using three (3), 24" 1080p monitors or a larger size UHD tv.

Thanks,

Brian

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K Socket LGA 1151 Unlocked (...should it be delided to ~4,7Ghz ?)
Power Supply: 650W Corsair RMx Series RM650x 80 PLUS Gold Certified Full Modular PSU 

Seems like a very decent system. just confused you say your not computer savvy but you mention it being delided. Your talking more trouble then its worth i run mine at 4.2 and can still max out everything in xplane and mostly max setting in P3D v4 

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

21 hours ago, stephenbgs said:

Well your not wrong but your not exactly correct either the 6700k is obsolete but so is the ancient 2600k and you will find it hard to find anyone who dislikes that CPU its a legend. The 6700k is no 2600k but any card capable of steady 4.5ghz if oc and cooled correct is not obsolete maybe by the time cascade lake comes out then we can use the word obsolete but not now.

I'm saying that the 8600K on 4133mhz mem is to the 6700K like the 6700K is to the Sandy. 

On 18/03/2018 at 1:23 AM, FunknNasty said:

The 6700K is obsolete.

Based on what, exactly? Just because it's older doesn't automatically make it less capable. It may not have as many cores as the most recent CPUs but that's not really as important with P3D which still benefits more from good single core performance - see http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/intel_core_i5_8600k_processor_review,26.html. With the clock speed normalised, the single core IPC of the 6700k is less than 3% different when compared to the 8700k.

On 18/03/2018 at 1:23 AM, FunknNasty said:

Keep your existing config but loose the mobo and cpu and get your self a 8600K or 8700k and pair it with a ROG Apex mobo.

Why? The 6700k and 8700k both use fast DDR4 RAM (and once you get over about 3200MHz you're into the law of diminishing returns) and the 8700k only comfortably overclocks slightly higher than the 6700k. Assuming the OP overclocked his 6700k, upgrading to an 8xxxk system would mean paying out a significant amount of money for probably less than 10% more performance (only 3 or 4 FPS, on average). I'd be surprised if he'd even notice the difference.

To the OP, you have a very capable system and I'd say stick with what you've got. You should be able to easily overclock your 6700k to 4.6 - 4.7GHz without delidding it but I'd definitely invest in a better cooler. There's always the temptation to upgrade to the latest hardware but, in this case, when you look at what you'd gain it's just not worth the cost/effort.

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

On 3/17/2018 at 1:49 PM, brianVancouver said:

Hello,

Thanks,

Brian

Specs:

Buy a delidding tool for the CPU and switch to a all in one liquid cooling setup.

Matt Wilson

Thanks folks.  There's a lot of good information here.  That said, I think I'm out of my pc tech comfort zone, when it comes to weighing some of the alternatives being suggested.  Even the deliding question I raised was based on a third party tech recommendation, not anything that I conjured myself.  

I think my base question is what, if anything, in my spec should be upgraded (to what?) in order to fully benefit in using Prepar3d?  I have three options:  (1) use as is;  (2) upgrade the current system;  or (3) buy a new system.  In all cases I prefer to need the least amount of hardware expertise to get the sim operating and optimized.  I've made costly IT mistakes before, often based on advice from gamers not flight sim users, so want try to minimize the risk this time,

Many thanks,

Brian

Edited by brianVancouver

53 minutes ago, brianVancouver said:

Thanks folks.  There's a lot of good information here.  That said, I think I'm out of my pc tech comfort zone, when it comes to weighing some of the alternatives being suggested.  Even the deliding question I raised was based on a third party tech recommendation, not anything that I conjured myself.  

I think my base question is what, if anything, in my spec should be upgraded (to what?) in order to fully benefit in using Prepar3d?  I have three options:  (1) use as is;  (2) upgrade the current system;  or (3) buy a new system.  In all cases I prefer to need the least amount of hardware expertise to get the sim operating and optimized.  I've made costly IT mistakes before, often based on advice from gamers not flight sim users, so want try to minimize the risk this time,

Many thanks,

Brian

What are the specs of your current system?

Matt Wilson

4 hours ago, mpw8679 said:

What are the specs of your current system?

See the first post!

5 hours ago, brianVancouver said:

I think my base question is what, if anything, in my spec should be upgraded (to what?) in order to fully benefit in using Prepar3d?

Buy a new cooler and overclock your current CPU - the results shouldn't differ too much from what you'd get with an 8700k. Even if it still doesn't give the results you're looking for, the new cooler will be useful for any future system upgrade. Deliding is only really worthwhile if you're struggling to keep the CPU temperature under control and, even then, it can be a risky business as another user on the forum found out to his cost recently:

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

9 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Based on what, exactly? Just because it's older doesn't automatically make it less capable. It may not have as many cores as the most recent CPUs but that's not really as important with P3D which still benefits more from good single core performance - see http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/intel_core_i5_8600k_processor_review,26.html. With the clock speed normalised, the single core IPC of the 6700k is less than 3% different when compared to the 8700k.

Why? The 6700k and 8700k both use fast DDR4 RAM (and once you get over about 3200MHz you're into the law of diminishing returns) and the 8700k only comfortably overclocks slightly higher than the 6700k. Assuming the OP overclocked his 6700k, upgrading to an 8xxxk system would mean paying out a significant amount of money for probably less than 10% more performance (only 3 or 4 FPS, on average). I'd be surprised if he'd even notice the difference.

....dude. my ram is darn near as fast as the L3 cache on the 6700K cpu.

cachemem39.6.png

2 hours ago, vortex681 said:

See the first post!

Buy a new cooler and overclock your current CPU - the results shouldn't differ too much from what you'd get with an 8700k. Even if it still doesn't give the results you're looking for, the new cooler will be useful for any future system upgrade. Deliding is only really worthwhile if you're struggling to keep the CPU temperature under control and, even then, it can be a risky business as another user on the forum found out to his cost recently:

No need to yell dude.  

Matt Wilson