rdtv91

Terramax for X-Plane - First Impressions

6 hours ago, Cactus521 said:

When I compare FSEarthtiles generated scenery to Xplane11 Orthophotos, the FSEarthtiles scenery comes out much smaller, it can be compressed to an acceptable compromise over quality whereas Ortho4XP has no compression option

P3D and AF2 internally compress the textures in their file formats so subsequently scenery is much much smaller.  Just look at how small a 5 season ORBX Netherlands was, or Aerofly's Florida. P3D and AF2 can store the same ortho scenery at nearly 20% the size of X-Plane.

DDS, that X-Plane uses, is somewhat compressed and a very efficient method of having textures, but also DDS textures contain mipmaps (reduced versions of the same texture to show at different levels), hence the size. There are ways around it, such as giving people the original jpegs and running a conversion over them (aka. Forkboy's US scenery), but well after conversion they still need a lot of storage space.

7 hours ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

I then loaded in a new flight out of Orbx Manchester...the sim textures loading thing came on..and it took forever to do nothing it just stalled....after some 20 minutes or more I just shut down the sim.

This product won't change the seasonal textures in ORBX Manchester (I'm the developer of that airport). It only changes the existing textures in the sim, and Barton doesn't use them. So you'd probably get a green oasis in the middle of snow which could look quite odd :). However, if it does crash, please send me over your log.txt file so I can rule out anything in the airport causing a crash.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

We do provide scenery developers the ability to integrate with TerraMAXX for seasonal variants.....

13 hours ago, GoranM said:

Bryan

I strongly suggest you contact the appropriate support channels.  The developers are always willing to help if there are any problems, and seeing as they don't frequent avsim that much, your complaints may go unnoticed.. 
As for the problems you are describing, there are way too many unknowns.  You could have scenery conflicts, too many plug ins, 3rd party scenery+ortho+terramax+etc...

It needs to be properly diagnosed for you to get any kind of solution.

Ya, I know. I'm just really disappointed, another bloody addon that I have to mess around with to get working properly.  Sometime the tinkering and continual or ongoing tweaking can drive us nuts.

9 hours ago, tonywob said:

This product won't change the seasonal textures in ORBX Manchester (I'm the developer of that airport). It only changes the existing textures in the sim, and Barton doesn't use them. So you'd probably get a green oasis in the middle of snow which could look quite odd :). However, if it does crash, please send me over your log.txt file so I can rule out anything in the airport causing a crash.

Yes, thanks I'm aware of this issue, they have been clear about this in their information.

I'm going to start over, do the install with the less than 5gig video card option which I assume means less quality texture trees and see what happens.