Sign in to follow this  
678072f

Brake Overheat/Autobrake Problems

Hello,

I have searched many forums and not found any solution to the issues I'm having. I am having an issue with the brakes on the PMDG 777. I use Saitek Rudder Pedals and use default settings for toe brakes (Meaning I haven't messed with null zones, sensitivity, etc. since setting up the brakes). While taxiing, taking off, and landing, I always get a "Brake Temp" warning followed by a "Tire Press" warning even if I had not touched the brakes once. On landing, the autobrakes are set appropriately for the landing, but do not engage the brakes at all even though they still show the setting they are set to (1, 2, 3, etc.). PMDG Support told me to check my null zones, which I did and tested different settings, but got the same results. I even tried resetting the FSX.cfg and still had the same issue. I also reinstalled the 777, but that didn't work. I do not plan on reinstalling FSX SE unless absolutely necessary. I'm hoping that there's either a fix, or that PMDG will release an update to repair this issue because the only way I can fix it is to go to the FMC every time it happens (3-4 times per flight!) and replace both the brakes and tires.

Thanks,

Daniel

Do you observe this behaviour in any other aircraft?

How much throttle is required for taxiing in dry conditions?

It does sound like a Null Zone problem. When you set it up - are the Null Zone settings being retained?

It's unlikely PMDG will release an update to "fix this issue" when it's not an issue for the rest of us! somewhere, within your settings, you've got something wrong.

I'll leave it to someone else to do the "real names in this forum" thing...

Edited by Guest

Search these forums for this. In the beginning there were many many reports of this, with varying solutions. It boiled down to setting correct null zone and sensitivity settings for this hardware. I have it as well, but last time I set it was 3 years ago. And I am currently not at home. One band aid if all else failed and you didn’t want the hassle of fixing tires and brakes was to quickly apply parking brakes and relese them again (CTRL+. then .). While not realistic, this would reset the problem of constant brakes signal being sent ...... until you touch the toe brakes again.

Good luck...

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

12 hours ago, 678072f said:

Hello,

I have searched many forums and not found any solution to the issues I'm having. I am having an issue with the brakes on the PMDG 777. I use Saitek Rudder Pedals and use default settings for toe brakes (Meaning I haven't messed with null zones, sensitivity, etc. since setting up the brakes). While taxiing, taking off, and landing, I always get a "Brake Temp" warning followed by a "Tire Press" warning even if I had not touched the brakes once. On landing, the autobrakes are set appropriately for the landing, but do not engage the brakes at all even though they still show the setting they are set to (1, 2, 3, etc.). PMDG Support told me to check my null zones, which I did and tested different settings, but got the same results. I even tried resetting the FSX.cfg and still had the same issue. I also reinstalled the 777, but that didn't work. I do not plan on reinstalling FSX SE unless absolutely necessary. I'm hoping that there's either a fix, or that PMDG will release an update to repair this issue because the only way I can fix it is to go to the FMC every time it happens (3-4 times per flight!) and replace both the brakes and tires.

Thanks,

Daniel

Hi Daniel, PMDG asks for our full names in their forums....., good name by the way.

I have the same pedals and you must calibrate the brakes in P3D (unless you assign the axis through FSUIPC in which case others need to help you).  Set up the full span, zero and null zone (I use 3-6%) and the reverse block checked.  Tire pressures will always increase when the brakes are hot, simple physics... heated air increases pressure within a fixed volume.  If the brakes are calibrated then your problem is probably your taxiing technique.  Unlike the NGX or 747, you cannot use brakes to control taxi speed in the 777.  Your use of brakes is limited to perhaps slowing for a turn and stopping.  Try to only use thrust to control taxi speed and keep the speed realistic... the simulator will let you taxi at 60 kts if you want but real world safety and physics limit you to about 10 kts on the ramp 15-20 kts taxiway... maybe 25 on that cross country to 08R at PHNL.  Put the gear synoptic up on the lower screen while you taxi and keep an eye on it while you practice.  By the way, fsx.cfg has nothing to do with controller alignments and reinstalling software is never a good idea unless tech support recommends it.  There is nothing to repair for PMDG... there is no braking bug. Your lack of autobrake on landing could be due to your throttle not being fully closed... or calibrated?

Dan Downs KCRP

Alright, I have tried changing null zone settings multiple times and that never solved the problem. For taxiing, it requires up to 30-35% N1 to start moving and then 30% to continue moving, or else the plane will stop quickly even under light loads. I'm confused because I do not see the "Brakes" dialog pop up on the bottom of the screen and I have searched for this issue in the forums for a long time and not found anyone with this issue.On landing, the throttle is fully idle. I do have one question about null zones, though. How can you tell what setting it is on since it does not show a number next to the slider?

Thanks,

Daniel Duhon

Don't rely on the brake indication.  If you need 30% N1 to sustain a taxi then you are dragging your brakes.  You mentioned FSX but you didn't mention how you assigned the brake axis.  One difference between our setups with the Saitek pedals is that I have the brake axis assigned in P3D where as you have FSX.  Where do you assign the axis (FSX or FSUIPC or other)? Exactly how do you calibrate the brake axis?

For comparison, I just launched the default PMDG 77L that loads with engines running and about 728 klbs GW, break away for taxi came at 28% N1 (albeit a slow gentle start) and 10 kts was sustained with 26.6% N1.  Hope this helps.

Edited by downscc

Dan Downs KCRP

I would second the notion that your brakes are dragging, or somehow being kicked on, despite you seeing no "BRAKE" notification.  For you to require 30% N1 to maintain a taxi -- that seems very high in my experience with this aircraft.

I would disconnect my rudder pedals, and fly without them.   See what happens then.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

The red brake indicator needs 20% or so to show up. This is definitely a hardware issue. There is no need to know your null zones in numbers, just play around a bit until it works with a setting you feel comfortable with. Do the calibration where you actually set your axes. 

On 3/20/2018 at 10:03 AM, downscc said:

Don't rely on the brake indication.  If you need 30% N1 to sustain a taxi then you are dragging your brakes.  You mentioned FSX but you didn't mention how you assigned the brake axis.  One difference between our setups with the Saitek pedals is that I have the brake axis assigned in P3D where as you have FSX.  Where do you assign the axis (FSX or FSUIPC or other)? Exactly how do you calibrate the brake axis?

For comparison, I just launched the default PMDG 77L that loads with engines running and about 728 klbs GW, break away for taxi came at 28% N1 (albeit a slow gentle start) and 10 kts was sustained with 26.6% N1.  Hope this helps.

It's set through FSX's default control settings, I do not have a paid version of FSUIPC, just the free version, so I have no other option to set controls. Calibration is also done straight from FSX itself. 

3 hours ago, Mace said:

I would second the notion that your brakes are dragging, or somehow being kicked on, despite you seeing no "BRAKE" notification.  For you to require 30% N1 to maintain a taxi -- that seems very high in my experience with this aircraft.

I would disconnect my rudder pedals, and fly without them.   See what happens then.

I have tried that, however without the rudder pedals, I have no brake control as neither the period key nor the trigger on my joystick (default brakes button) work to engage the brakes even without the pedals connected.

28 minutes ago, 678072f said:

I have tried that, however without the rudder pedals, I have no brake control as neither the period key nor the trigger on my joystick (default brakes button) work to engage the brakes even without the pedals connected.

Your period key doesn't activate the brakes?   Something is very wrong.  I assume the period key is assigned to brakes?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Yes, the period key is assigned to brakes, and I have checked this multiple times to make sure, but it has never worked with the brakes since this problem has been happening. The reason I am considering that this is a software issue is because I have been using the PMDG T7 since it was released and have owned the rudder pedals the entire time I have owned the 777 and have only recently (within the past 6 months) seen this issue with the brakes. Before I saw this issue, the brakes (autobrake, toe brakes, and period key) all worked perfectly fine and I could taxi at normal power settings. I did not change any settings to make this happen.

Thanks,

Daniel Duhon

Hi all,

Situation:
Setup the aircraft at Gate E8 EHAM to EGLL. Taxing to runway 09. Observed the brake temp to the runway no problems. During T/O acceleration  i've got a warning about the the brake temp. See picture

https://i.imgur.com/p558vuZ.jpg

Regards
Jo va Bra

Edited by Jovabra
insert picture

3 hours ago, Jovabra said:

Setup the aircraft at Gate E8 EHAM to EGLL. Taxing to runway 09. Observed the brake temp to the runway no problems. During T/O acceleration  i've got a warning about the the brake temp. See picture

Read the rest of this thread. Your brakes are dragging. The amount of heat you're picking up is going to be increased by the fact that takeoff acceleration is going to generate more heat than just taxiing around.

Kyle Rodgers

Strange about T777 dragging brakes. For example, I have no problems with the PMDG 737-747-DC6 and the the FSL A320, Captainsim 757, QW 787,TFDI 717, Leonardo MD80 and a lot of GA aircrafts. I'm using the BRUNNER flightsim yoke and the BRUNNER brake/rudder hardware.
They are interfaced thrue an Ethernet connection with there own interface software. FSUIPC is NOT in use for this hardware. All controls are disabled in FSUIPC and in the hardware settings in FSX or Prepar3dV4. All the calibrations and adjustments are performed in the BRUNNER CLS2sim software.

Regards
Jo va Bra

57 minutes ago, Jovabra said:

Strange about T777 dragging brakes. For example, I have no problems with the PMDG 737-747-DC6 and the the FSL A320, Captainsim 757, QW 787,TFDI 717, Leonardo MD80 and a lot of GA aircrafts. I'm using the BRUNNER flightsim yoke and the BRUNNER brake/rudder hardware.
They are interfaced thrue an Ethernet connection with there own interface software. FSUIPC is NOT in use for this hardware. All controls are disabled in FSUIPC and in the hardware settings in FSX or Prepar3dV4. All the calibrations and adjustments are performed in the BRUNNER CLS2sim software.

Regards
Jo va Bra

The 777 brakes are much more responsive to abuse.... you listed a bunch of much lighter aircraft too.  Don't compare apples and oranges, would also help to accept recommendations when you ask for help.  There is no software bug in the product, as backed up by the overwhelming lack of user complaints other than the occasional one.  If it were as bad as you report then there would be a significant increase in reported problems.

Dan Downs KCRP