Sign in to follow this  
rphillips54

Why is prepard 3d such a performance hogger?

Also why does prepard 3d not utilize all of the power my computer can offer. CPU never really goes over 30%

Just curious kinda have come to terms with it. 

What is the first core at if you look in task manager?  It should be almost 100%.  The rest will be fairly low...  it's just not that multi threaded imo.

You can give your CPU more work to do (up to a point) by increasing autogen density and load radius.  And also enabling shadows on autogen/etc

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

2 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

What is the first core at if you look in task manager?  It should be almost 100%.  The rest will be fairly low...  it's just not that multi threaded imo.

You can give your CPU more work to do (up to a point) by increasing autogen density and load radius.  And also enabling shadows on autogen/etc

And you are right my first thread is overloaded for the most part but the rest are pretty low. Its a shame the work cant be more evenly distributed.

There are some inefficiencies in the engine, due to it needing to support older scenery types. In comparison, Aerofly 2 with a from-scratch developed engine can achieve much higher frame rates (locked at 120 FPS, for example).

having said that, p3d doesn’t do too badly. The task that it is trying to achieve - rendering a planet, with massive amounts of objects, HDR lighting, complex water, hi resolution terrain mesh - is tougher than that attempted by most programs/games.

The majority on other programs that attempt to simulate flight - such as dcs and x-plane - are also resource intensive.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Thank you for your answer OzWhitey. Do you know if L-M plans to reconfigure this in the future and if not how could I redistribute the workload across all my cores?

Edited by rphillips54

12 minutes ago, rphillips54 said:

Thank you for your answer OzWhitey. Do you know if L-M plans to reconfigure this in the future and if not how could I redistribute the workload across all my cores?

P3D engine is a work in progress. LM say they've basically rewritten the whole thing now, but I suspect they'd gain a lot of efficiency if they were allowed to just start from scratch (which would likely render many of our addons useless, hence the current approach). Expect to see ongoing, gradual improvements in the engine over the coming releases. 

You can try and change core use with an affinity mask, but that's unlikely to help much in your case.

I fly with a hexacore (5820K), no affinity mask, hyperthreading on and find that P3D makes reasonable use of all six cores/12 threads. I suspect that 6 cores is substantially better for P3D than the 4 cores used by the majority of flghtsimmers at this point in the sim's development (which has not, historically, been the conventional wisdom - for FSX, single-core performance was always stressed).

Edited by OzWhitey
  • Upvote 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Which version are you using?

Versions up to P3Dv3 were better than FSX but not notably so, P3Dv4+ are far better IMHO and at least on my box very efficient.

That aside, LM are not in the 'entertainment' (ie 'Gaming') business, which we all should remember.

:cool:

1 hour ago, rphillips54 said:

You could use a program like Process Lasso to do that to some extent. 

• Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

On 3/18/2018 at 11:16 PM, OzWhitey said:

I fly with a hexacore (5820K), no affinity mask, hyperthreading on and find that P3D makes reasonable use of all six cores/12 threads.

I like your approach.  I fly with an i7 4790K @4.6 OC, no affinity mask with HT on, and the workload is distributed across all 8 threads very evenly.  I have the impression that the recent versions of P3Dv4 are much better at utilizing all cores than previous versions, at least according to rumor.  I've only recently switched to P3Dv4.

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

On 3/19/2018 at 3:48 AM, Mace said:

You could use a program like Process Lasso to do that to some extent. 

Agreed.

Though I find PL can cause instability in the OS when running depending.

I have set P3D to run on Cores 1-3 and seems to improve fluidity though not so much FPS.

Edited by Boomer

spacer.png

If your CPU is running around 20% then there is a rest of the story to be told.  I notice lots of weather (by ASP4) will drive all 12 logical cores in my 8700K pretty high on the loading graphic where just sitting on the ramp on a clear day amounts to zilch work done.  So that got me thinking that maybe your GPU is the bottleneck?  I've gone from a 980Ti that didn't seem to be overworked to a 2x1080Ti SLI configuration and suddenly everything seems to be working much harder to the point I replaced case and H115i fans with better aftermarket ones from Noctua. 

I am enjoying this topic, not long ago the biggest technical challenge was the 32b barrier and now we have busted that and are back to lamenting the limitations of our hardware. This is a good thing.

Dan Downs KCRP