Sign in to follow this  
wazooda

RXP 530W not responding to OBS inputs from sim

Took the plunge and purchased the 530W.  Added it to the panel and everything seems to be working perfectly.... except for OBS mode in GPS.

If I turn the OBS in VLOC mode, all works well.

However, if GPS mode is selected, when I press OBS on the GPS, the course line appears from the waypoint, but turning the OBS knob in the sim, while correctly rotating the course card in the sim, there is no movement of the course on the GPS and thus the needle nor ambiguity indicator move on the VOR receiver.

I've selected all the settings in Panel Instruments but still can't get the GPS to recognize OBS movement.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here.

Thanks,

Paul

Here's a link to a video capture I made of the problem: 

I have ELB set as the Direct To WP.  In GPS mode when I select OBS, you'll notice that turning the OBS course selector has zero effect in the GPS unit.  In addition, each time I select/deselect OBS, the OBS course seems to jump about 1 degree in the GPS which is reflected on the CDI.  I also, as mentioned above, have all the selections checked in the Panel Configuration settings.

Hope this helps to diagnose.

Edited by wazooda
correction

UPDATE:  So I think I'm able to confirm that this is an incompatibility with the RXP 530 v2 and the stock C172. 

If I load the Airfoil Labs 172 or the stock Cirrus, the OBS works as it should.

This is a major bummer as I'm currently getting my IFR IRL in a 172 and I've read here that the AFL 172 is wonky with the autopilot.

Can you guys confirm this is a stock C172 issue and, if so, will you be working to fix it?

Thanks. 

Hi,

Unfortunately we've been unable to specifically test in the default C172, it was too short a time while working on the v2.3.11 update release.

Nevertheless, the 1deg stepping when toggling mode is due to a rounding error between reading and setting the OBS value to X-Plane. We are yet to find out if this is an X-Plane rounding issue, or a RXP plugin rounding issue (still investigating).

As for the OBS mode, this makes me wonder if this is related to the way the aircraft system are configured in Aircraft Maker, and a probable limitation/bug in X-Plane: It seems you can configure aircraft with VOR only and no HSI subsystems but the OBS mode requires an HSI otherwise it won't activate.

Even if in the C172, what about enabling 'Link to HSI' in the settings panel?

We'll review if there are any consistent mean to read the VOR indicator OBS independently of the HSI OBS in such aircraft, i.e. are these the same dataref or are they separate, and if so, we'll try to provide a solution in the next update.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Thanks for the reply.

I tried Link to HSI and even cycled through each setting individually to see if any combination is causing the problem but no joy.

I need to confirm that the OBS is, in fact, working in VLOC mode. I was trying so many iterations trying to isolate the problem that I want to make sure... but I'm out of town till Friday so I'll post results when I return.

Paul

Returned from vacation and can confirm that the OBS does NOT work in VLOC mode either.

Hopefully, you guys can solve this problem.

Thanks!

Paul

Hi,

We've not found anything relevant in regard to this yet, and it has been working fine on our end as well, but I just wanted to let you know we're releasing the next update tomorrow and hopefully, with the many changes, it might solve the issue you are reporting as well!

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

13 hours ago, RXP said:

Hi,

We've not found anything relevant in regard to this yet, and it has been working fine on our end as well, but I just wanted to let you know we're releasing the next update tomorrow and hopefully, with the many changes, it might solve the issue you are reporting as well!

Thanks for the followup.

Just to confirm, you're saying that you cannot replicate the problem in the C172 or that it works everywhere BUT the C172?

Paul

Well in fact it was a little late yesterday when I've answered and now further looking into our internal tickets, I see where the confusion is.

the OBS input is working from the HSI OBS, which you can cross check with data ref editor. It is not taking inputs from the VOR OBS data refs, which are different.

It might be a little late to add these now since we are about to release the update though.

1 hour ago, RXP said:

Well in fact it was a little late yesterday when I've answered and now further looking into our internal tickets, I see where the confusion is.

the OBS input is working from the HSI OBS, which you can cross check with data ref editor. It is not taking inputs from the VOR OBS data refs, which are different.

It might be a little late to add these now since we are about to release the update though.

Ah... and since the C172 does not have an HSI and only a VOR OBS that explains why it doesn't work in the C172.

Thanks for the clarification and can't wait for an update as I *love* your product.

-Paul

In the meantime, I'm wondering how difficult would it be to script a LUA that would sync back and forth the VOR and the HSI OBS datarefs. Is there anyone LUA-fluent who could help with this?

Edited by RXP

Hi, a quick update to let you know we've officially released v2.4 which now connects the OBS source either to the HSI if 'LinkHsi' is true, otherwise to the VOR1/2 OBS if 'LinkVor' is true (1 or 2 depending on the AutoNavSource setting)!

Edited by RXP