Sign in to follow this  
737_800

Which AntiVir for Flightsim

Hi,

which software do you use to protect your computer? I personally fall back on freeware tools, but my experience is, that these are limited useable for flight sim. Most addon developers expect you to exclude files are folders, or deactivate during installation. Freeware tools doesn't support this feature in the limited version.

Is there freeware alternative, or do I need to switch to an payware addon? When yes, which one is not too expensive but still recommendable?

Spoiler

As someone fairly knowledgeable in this area, the only three suites I would use (in no particular order) are Nortons, Bit Defender, and Kapersky. They are always at the top of the AV-TEST recommended list in all three categories while others come and go.

Been running Nortons on multiple flight sim computers for years, no issues or performance problems whatsoever.

Best wishes.

Edited by DaveCT2003
  • Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

ESET's NOD32 on my sim/gaming machines here.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes.   Free and frequently updated.  10 years with them and no issues. 

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

1 hour ago, 737_800 said:

Hi,

which software do you use to protect your computer? I personally fall back on freeware tools, but my experience is, that these are limited useable for flight sim. Most addon developers expect you to exclude files are folders, or deactivate during installation. Freeware tools doesn't support this feature in the limited version.

Is there freeware alternative, or do I need to switch to an payware addon? When yes, which one is not too expensive but still recommendable?

I've always used Windows Defender, Malwarebytes, and finally and most importantly HijackThis to scan for any new or unwanted startup processes and services.  A good knowledge of what is running in the background will always help assure a smooth running sim with zero stutters and blurries.  My system is as pristine as the day I bought it almost a year ago, and has no hard lockups since I have owned it.  Malwarebytes is good at detecting "drive by downloads" when you mistype a url or happen upon some gaming site with suspicious software.  Also remember that some freeware for the sim can be infected, remembering that some old school gauges are compiled dll's vs the newer xml gauges.  My only freeware aircraft in Avsim's library, my ultralight trike, uses xml gauges backward compatible to FS2004 and that run well in P3D.  Hope my response helps in addition to those antivir programs already recommended by other knowledgeable simmers.

John

I also use Norton Internet Security (current version), and have used NIS for many years, I also run the occasional free version Malwarebytes scan.

Norton is not cheap by comparison to other payware AV's but is reliable and rarely gets in the way. My last NIS renewal cost $89.00 - AU$ for 3 PC's 12mths.
Gave up on Free AV's, you get what you pay for. Mostly ads and basic functionality + free virus def updates, most are only resident apps unless upgraded to payware version after trial period, except for defender/MS SecurityEssentials.

NIS has an "Auto Silent" function for designated Fullscreen programs, and the manual Silent option for programs not user listed as Fullscreen programs. A quick handy way to prevent filescanning while operating your sim. You can manually apply exclusions to any executable, file, or folder. Norton also uses its own firewall unlike the freeware AV's which rely on MS. The GUI is easy to use and understand along with the settings.

NIS also has Quarantine restore and scan exclusion, it also seems to use minimal resources except after a core NIS update where for a short period can use 8%- 25% CPU while indexing. Regular Liveupdates for virus definitions and NIS version updates, their support is pretty good too. Be wary though of NPE tool (NortonPowerEraser) if ever needed it can/will aggressively remove files that you have already deemed safe, but this is a last resort for stubborn malware that you may have inadvertently installed. NPE has a restore function if something is mistakenly removed, which is good to know.

Hope that makes your decision easier.

Edited by Jethro

Like others, I use Windows Defender and Malwarebytes. I think it depends on your personal browsing habits and who else uses your machine. If you can avoid certain sites and click-bait, and you don't have others using your machine, you can get away with free protection. 

6 hours ago, Cactus521 said:

've always used Windows Defender, Malwarebytes, and finally and most importantly Hijack

That is a protection "cocktail" that costs little and totally performs!  All I have used since I built this Win 10 system 2 1/5 years ago and I have not had the headaches and system performance issues I had with the so-called premium packages.  With the system slowdown I previously experienced I always suspected they were spying on and exploiting my usage.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere